• 422 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9470 Players Online
  • 9048 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex needs to encourage more competitive gameplay

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by 1MisterCreeper, Jun 22, 2021.

1. So this is mainly just a suggestion to help with the popularity of the server, which I hate as much as anyone else to see diminishing. What I suggest is more competitive minigames, and adding an incentive to play them more. The larger servers at the moment are all popular because of their competitive fanbase. A competitive environment also allows YouTubers and streamers to make more interesting content, encouraging them to play on the server, leading to more exposure. As for how to do this, I suggest more games like survival games or cakewars, but give them exclusive rewards that you cant get from chests to make people want to play them. Maybe even once a month hold a competition for a special rank, just so people feel the need to grind out more wins. Although I know it's not easy to make a new minigame out of the blue, creating a new competitive minigame with a new gimmick would probably bring in lots of new players, like how Hypixel blew up with bedwars and skyblock. As for what this groundbreaking game might be, I have no idea. Mineplex should also reach out to content creators to ask them to make content on the server and encourage their players to do the same.

TLDR: Make competitive exclusive rewards, try to get exposure through content creators

There are my suggestions for how to try to increase the player base, as a long-time player on the server I would love to see a strong comeback. Thanks for coming to my TedTalk.

Posted Jun 22, 2021
  2. I don't think this is the way to go. There's a point to be made that short minigames aren't attractive to a lot of people anymore, but comp isn't exactly how you are going to get lots of new players. I would argue the fact that Mineplex's remaining playerbase is more competitive has actually contributed to the lack of retention for new players. They join, get stomped, don't have fun and leave. I think bedwars and skyblock do so well because they aren't actually hyper competitive for the most part; you can play casually without getting destroyed every game.

Posted Jun 22, 2021
  3. That's true, but I'm not saying EVERY game should be comp, and maybe offering a ranked and unranked game mode for the comp games would be a better approach

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jun 22, 2021
  4. Mineplex needs to appeal more to casual players in order to grow the playerbase and dilute toxicity. A combination of high skill floors, toxicity, and competitiveness lead to many unique games getting more and more toxic and less and less players (Champions for example).

Posted Jun 22, 2021
  5. Hi!

As the comment above me, I'll have to agree with the need to appeal to mora casual players. As of current, Mineplex is a place where only dedicated and competitive players play and I cannot remember the last time I've seen a casual Mineplex player. The cons of it are that competitive games do not really appeal to casual players due to their lack of them being "just for fun" and "less for statistics". If anything, I'd recommend upgrading Nano games or Mixed arcade. While on the other hand, making competitive games would help the current player base stay on the server and give them more entertainment and reason to stay.
    Anyhow, in case you ever come up with an idea for a groundbreaking competitive game, I'd love to read it out and discuss pros and cons of it!

Posted Jun 29, 2021
    MARKTHENUB™, SummerTrig and Xukuwu like this.
  6. This, I 100% agree with... And if a game is in development that goes against this mindset, I promise you it will fail.

-Dan

Posted Jun 29, 2021
  7. Hello,

Whilst I do agree that we need more competitive rewards, I don't think we should get anything new unless we're doing a league like the Cake Wars one we had a few months ago or apart of events. If that's what you meant, then I completely agree.

Firstly, there's nothing to really add/change to certain game types to make it more competitive unless we either make it an event or a league but those take a lot of time to set up but I would love to see more of them. It adds an extra element to the table when you're playing for a prize.

Secondly, I'm not sure if you remember this but back in the day, Mineplex an OP Gem Fountain where we could donate gems and we could play OP games for the weekend and depending on how many were donated, it would give out, I think, a lot of xp at the time. Playing those OP games were really fun and really competitive, lobbies would fill up really fast and you would have everyone playing it, talking and communicating with each other. I would honestly love to see this implemented again as it brought players on and everyone had fun.

Lastly, while I do agree with you that we need more content creator but we already have a bunch of smaller youtubers/streamers that are constantly on the network. We don't seem them because they are probably disguised.

Posted Jun 29, 2021
    Nightys likes this.
  8. Like it inst competitive enough already.

Posted Jun 30, 2021
    Marzie and SummerTrig like this.
  9. While small content creators are great they don't have the wide reaching draw of someone like Techonblade on Hypixel. Mineplex needs to reach out to some larger/midrange youtubers and streamers to get them to play on the server, even just for a little bit. One of the best bets imo are the youtubers Danny Gonzalez, Kurtis Conner, or any other member of the "Baddie SMP". These streamers have a large following and a large part of their community are newer/new players to the game. Since they haven't done anything multiplayer related (to my knowledge) whatever server they appear on first will get a massive boost in popularity.

Posted Jun 30, 2021
  10. In response to the posts above -
    Encouraging competitive gameplay doesn't mean that casual gameplay should be ignored. Both should receive attention, but Mineplex should make a greater effort to maintain competitive play given the playerbase today. A few years ago, there was a Mineplex Competitive League (MCL) representative in GI that helped communicate feedback from comp communities to leadership. Now, the scene is much less organized, so a good start would be to consolidate the leagues and officially partner with them. Updating the games would be nice as well, since that would benefit both comp and casual.

Posted Jun 30, 2021
    Sochly likes this.
  11. So are you basically trying to say this : "The little players that we still have are tryhards, so instead of focusing on getting new players, we should focus on making it better for those few that for some reason still haven't given up on the server."

Posted Jun 30, 2021
  12. I didn't say that. I meant that maintaining competitive communities, which have not seen upkeep from Mineplex's side, would benefit both comp and casual. For example, Champions has a fairly active comp community, with Ranked CCL, comp CCL and CTFCL, and regular scrims; meanwhile, public lobbies struggle to start. Updating the game, passing community concerns along, and officially partnering for tournaments would increase activity in the comp scene and draw in curious public players.

Posted Jun 30, 2021
  13. Dunno whether you're willfully misinterpreting what Midoriya said or if you just didn't read what he said, since he very clearly said otherwise earlier in that same post:

Anyway, Mineplex was one of the earliest servers to have organized competitive leagues, and over 5 years later has largely failed to capitalize on that. There have been a couple of events involving a few of the competitive leagues, but largely, due to Mineplex leadership not being proactive about the subject and also being really unappealing to work with, not a whole lot has been done on that front. Mineplex does not and likely never will have a healthy relationship with the competitive leagues that were started on the server. Still, given the incredible participation in competitive leagues even for games that have long been neglected and when average playercounts have dropped by an order of magnitude, it's worth a shot.

I think in order for that to happen, the server needs to completely change the way things are developed and updated and handled. For whatever reason, updates are almost invariably bundled and extremely infrequent. That would need to change as a lot of the more competitive games are in various states of disarray both due to bugs and poor choices game design or balance wise and many need updates. Mineplex would need to dedicate resources to both promoting the leagues and helping to keep cheating as under control as possible, while allowing the leagues to exist mostly as they have in terms of procedures and culture. And the leagues would have to want to do that.

Posted Jul 1, 2021,
    Last edited Jul 1, 2021
  14. All that's really left in the community right now is competitive players with a few casual sprinkled in. You won't be able to play CW/SKY (likely other games too) without going against some tryhards/competitive players. I'd play games like that myself if it wasn't like that, but that's just the reality we're in. I don't want to see this continue really. I'd very much rather enjoy something PvE too.

Piggybacking off of the above post, we do have a plan on what we're going to be doing with tournaments. Of course, I can't say quite yet though until we've finalized everything. Maybe it'll be announced after our seasonal olympics.

Posted Jul 9, 2021