• 1068 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 1068 Players Online
  • 0 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mineplex's Ping Problem (And how it could be fixed)

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by 7pt, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I'm an AU 2014 Mineplex player. Since 2016 or 2017 I've been experiencing massive ping spikes on both the US and EU Java proxies (maybe Bedrock too, however that doesn't show numerical ping anywhere so I won't discuss it). Since I've seen one recent thread on this new forum (great site btw) and others have stated that "internet connection is more complicated than you think" I will provide further insight to this problem, as well as prove that this issue is server-side and list possible ways of remedying these problems.

First, the problem. As stated above I'm an Australian player so I don't expect good ping on any of the Java proxies (except for the old AU proxy from 2015 that was mysteriously ill-maintained and shut down shortly after - a topic for another post perhaps) or many other servers for that matter (:angryyoda:). However, on the US proxy I spike from 210 on the title screen to upwards of 700 in-game, and from 280 on title to over 1000 in-game on the EU host. This makes games unplayable on either proxy, highlighted in PVP game modes where player events must be updated especially quickly.

However, some may say that ping depends on distance to the router, congestion, blah blah. So, to try and stop this argument from arising and to prove that the issue is server side, I conducted an experiment. According to unofficial account/server database NameMC, the US Mineplex proxy is hosted in Chicago, Illinois, USA. As stated above my ping is extremely inconsistent ranging from 210 into the late hundreds or even early thousands in rare cases. I then connected to Mineplex's main competitor (cannot name because I've never been warned/banned on here and I don't want that to change now) which is also hosted in Chicago. My client-side networking settings remained the same: Download/upload speeds of 60/5 megabits per second (for transferring data packets quick enough for basic online gaming), same distance from the router, same amount of devices connected doing the same things. On this competing server my ping was extremely consistent with the minimum MS equalling Mineplex's 210 but rarely spiking over 300. I repeated this experiment countless times over the past few weeks and the results were the same.

Now, how would the Mineplex team fix this? My main theory is that the computers hosting the server may be outdated, thus the lag (which, I forgot to mention, is also being talked about by other players from AU). I see many Power Play Club members and Bedrock is going extremely strong so I'm assuming Mineplex as a business can manage these things. I think server hardware upgrades should be prioritised in the future to ensure that the server is playable for everyone, not just US or EU, as the Australian MC scene is as big as it always was iirc, and I assume other places like South America and Asia would be the same. However I don't know too much about server hardware so I'm not certain this would work, but it's a highly likely solution in my book.

I really feel like a solution (like the one above) should be implemented server-side as this bug is the primary reason why I stopped playing as much as I did in 2014-5 (I feel like the servers were handling the playerbase better back then as I do not remember this issue in those earlier years). It would increase engagement for AU and other high-ping players.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
    Mr_Ant87 and Noah like this.
  2. I agree with this. It is also clear that Mineplex has some issues with lag. I am from England and when I log on I get 200+ ping but when I go on “Mineplex’s Competitor” I get 40-100. I’m not an expert with this kinda stuff but it’s clear Mineplex needs to fix something so us non-Americans can play without having lag spikes every 30 seconds.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
  3. Since you're from the UK, what ping do you get on the EU server?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 12, 2018
  4. Like 30, but doesn't matter because it's dead, no games on there at any time.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
  5. Ping can indeed fluctuate at times on the server whether you play on EU or US. At some point they will probably look into this and resolve it. For now I don't think there is much we can do other than wait and hope for the best.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
    7pt likes this.
  6. Hello. This ping issue did not happen to me in the past years but it was with my friend. Before he had a good ping on both EU and US but mid-2017 he starts getting too many lags while playing on Mineplex. I can't explain why he is lagging even he's nearer EU servers than I. Nothing was changed with his provider and connection.

I think that lag issues started after back EU server in February 2017. If you forgot but Mineplex united EU and US into one US hosted server. Many players were so complaining about it and after 3 days EU server back to online. It does not matter having or not EU server for Mineplex. They do not lose much money having it. I think something went wrong after back EU and players started having lags. Before it, everything was okay and fine.

Mineplex should do some optimisation to make fewer lags. Mineplex has to ensure everyone has a quality game without lag issues. I don't understand why competitor server has almost no lags for everyone. Many players left playing Mineplex because for lag issues. This is a reason why EU is so dead now and we lost many players from US too.

There was one idea how to make fewer lags on the old Enjin site. The main point of it was to make one server but only Lobbies would be hosted in US. Game servers would be hosted on EU and US. It had to detect where are you from and connect to the best servers for you. It has many pros but I think it was denied by production (I'm not sure about it).

I hope Mineplex will do something about these lag issues. We should get a nice server without lags like it was before.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
  7. There is definitely a ping problem with the Bedrock server. You can tell just by playing on it.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
  8. i agree with this. im UK and i can barely play on US without it freezing for a few minutes then going back to normal for a few minutes then freezing again

Posted Oct 12, 2018
  9. Oh, good point lol
    I never heard about that, but I can understand the problems that might have arisen from it.
    I found it hard to tell considering I always get bad ping anyway, but I seem to spike there too yes.
    Exactly what happens to me on both regions, except shorter times before freezes :/

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 12, 2018
  10. I've had suspicions for a little while that this issue was related to slow connections to Mineplex (of which the effects have been exaggerated on due to my location in Australia) but this can't be the case if you are having the same issues despite your internet speed being 10 times as fast as mine. Overall, my connection to the Mineplex servers have been progressively getting worse and worse, I just seem to be getting a lot more lag spikes than I did this time last year or the year before that. I assume the main problem is that the servers are getting old and starting to decay a little bit, and replacing/fixing them (not sure quite how it all works honestly) would improve this issue somewhat, though I doubt it's possible to completely get rid of the problem.

Posted Oct 12, 2018
    7pt likes this.
  11. [​IMG] [​IMG] This is my connection. I usually get 90 ms on Mineplex (I'm EU) and at around 4pm EST I start getting 200/300Ms.

Posted Oct 20, 2018
  12. If you wait for like a 10-20 years, quantum networking might become a thing and you'll be able to play without lag

Posted Oct 20, 2018
  13. I hope I won't be playing Minecraft in 10/20 years.

Posted Oct 20, 2018
    • Necro Posting
    I usually get 200~300ms on US server, and same on EU server.
    But sometimes it lags and I don't get any response from the server for 0.5 seconds up to a minute.
    And then I start getting response from the server again. (takes about 10 seconds to go through everything that has been changed)
    My speedtest:
    [​IMG]

Posted Jan 7, 2020
  14. Because this thread has been necro-posted on (posting on a thread that has not been replied for over a month), I will be locking this thread. Please feel free to message me with any questions about this lock.

Thread Locked - Thread has been necro-posted on

Posted Jan 7, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.