• 359 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2443 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mods should not be allowed to lock threads unless a rule has been broken by OP

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by swimfan72, Sep 24, 2019.

1. I'm not sure how you could think it was a misunderstanding. Alex could literally see the denial and negative feedback right above his posts.

Posted Sep 26, 2019
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  2. I've seen a clans thread (about a relatively bad idea to be fair) locked for "idea addressed" before any discussion could be made. Locking threads just stop possible good ideas from spreading.

Posted Sep 26, 2019
    NothinButNetYT and swimfan72 like this.
  3. Did you just say... "sophisticated as Reddit's"?...

Reddit "forums" are barely forums. Plenty of subreddits just have people posting pictures/memes and nothing of substance. As much as I am in disappointment with the content on this website, comparing it to most subreddits is like comparing Renaissance art to postmodern art. Probably a bit of exaggeration, but you get the point.

Lastly, and I'll just leave this here, it's not good form to reduce people's criticisms to "babbling" because you disagree with them.

Posted Sep 26, 2019
    NothinButNetYT and swimfan72 like this.
  4. I wasn’t the one comparing Reddit and Mineplex to begin with. As I said previously, I’m not trying to give any offense when I’m saying “babbling” it’s iust a synonym for talking where I’m from.

Posted Sep 26, 2019
  5. The thread was locked for no reason though, the idea was implemented but the thread was then locked afterwards.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 26, 2019
  6. My apologies, I was confusing your thread about an Area 51 game with another one. In that case, it is still a valid lock. While it sounds fun, further discussion of the idea isn't actually necessary as the idea was implemented. The thread would end up clogging up the forums with an idea that was accepted, and the main focus of the forums is to give attention to new ideas.
    The FN was actually quite positive towards the success of your suggestion, but had to lock it as per the forum guidelines. A trending thread with an idea already on the network should not be open for more discussion in order to prevent confusion.
    Apparently he didn't see the denial reasons. It seems like a misunderstanding-enough situation to me; there wasn't enough communication which led to a confusing scenario for everybody.

Posted Sep 26, 2019
    Thenorn likes this.
  7. You mean he couldn't see the denial reason right above his post?
    That doesn't sound right

Posted Sep 26, 2019
    Lila likes this.
  8. locking threads for no reason is just part of what makes mineplex mineplex. yeah sure it sucks. but there's no changing the mod's mentalities.

Posted Sep 27, 2019
    Mitchy and swimfan72 like this.
  9. That could be true that it wont change and I think that it is not the mod's mentalities themselves, but there training that tells them to lock threads often.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 27, 2019
  10. We always give a reason for thread locks. Again, if you find a thread that's been locked 24-48 hours without a lock reason message an FM/FN. I would love to maybe see some proof on this too instead of you saying it's just how we are in our mentalities.

You don't know the FMs training as you've never been one. I'll say this right now, not a single thing anywhere says to lock threads without reasons or lock any and all threads that can be locked, ontop of this, not a single person has told us ever to do so either. Name a specific thread lock reason you don't like and I'll talk it over with ya.

Posted Sep 27, 2019
  11. Idea addressed. In this forum a (relatively bad) idea is locked because the mod doesn't think that it should be implemented. The mod locking this is not even a clans mod, making no sense why they would have any say in the matter of what should be part of clans or not. While this idea is not the best one it still could have generated good discussion, locking it only stifled that.
    I did bring this up with the mod in question however nothing really has happened (note the original reason for lock was "concern addressed" which made no sense, however "idea addressed" as a whole makes no sense)

Posted Sep 27, 2019
    Ender Rivka, leo_thya and swimfan72 like this.
  12. He may not be a full CM, but he is a CMA so he has every right to deliver news about clan ideas just like any CM would.

Posted Sep 27, 2019
    Thenorn likes this.
  13. The main problem is that no mod should just shut down a discussion, the idea could change and merge into something great if it's allowed to be commented on.

Posted Sep 28, 2019
  14. I'd like to clear something up: no moderator is allowed to, nor are they able to, lock any threads that exist outside of the Help section of the forums unless it is in their designated place on the forums for a staff member on that team to deal with (i.e., Clans Management can lock threads in the Clans section, Community Management can lock threads in the Ideas section). Only Forum Ninjas and Forum Moderators are able to lock threads universally.

As per the rules, here are the reasons why a thread might be locked:

• The OP has deleted the original post.
    • The OP or staff member has requested a thread lock.
    • The thread has been necro-posted on.
    • The question/concern has been addressed.
    • The OP breaks major forums rules; archive if OP is banned from that thread or if the thread is not fit for public viewing.
    • The thread has turned into a flamewar.
    • The thread contains hate on staff/community member/Mineplex written in a way that is not constructive or in a positive manner.
    • Threads that are about "I quit" or "I'm leaving".
    • Threads that are directly attacking or criticising staff including but not limited to calling staff corrupt.
    • Threads which are not titled appropriately (click-bait).
    • Threads which are in violation of the forums guidelines.
    • Threads containing topics that have been brought up and discussed repeatedly.
    • Any other threads that the forums staff deemed unnecessary or unfit for public viewing.

However, these are the reasons that a forums staff-member would lock a thread. Other teams have different criteria for their own threads. As a member of Ideas Team, we are constantly looking through the forums to see the new ideas thats we could possibly be implementing on to the server. However, we cannot lock threads just because we want to. Before we can even consider locking a thread, we must consult with a member of Community Management, the team that runs Ideas Team and manages the Ideas section of the forums. Even then, a member of CoM would need to go in and manual lock the thread, as that is their section of the forums that they deal with.

To conclude, if you ever feel that a thread was wrongfully locked, you have a few options that you can do. First off, the best and easiest thing to do would be to directly message the member who locked the thread in a PM (with the link to the thread). There, they will be able to explain to you the reasoning behind why the thread was locked. However, there are certain scenarios where you might wish to contact their supervisor. In this case, it depends on who locked the thread. Head over to this document where you can find the supervisor for each team. You can click on their name to be taken to their profile, where you can then send them a PM forwarding your concerns.

Posted Sep 28, 2019,
    Last edited Sep 28, 2019
  15. I thought that the main idea thread was a decent idea, just it wouldn't work by itself. I feel like @wattywatty14 unfairly locked the thread because it wasn't an idea that couldn't work at all (ideas against the EULA, extremely far fetched ideas, impossible to implement ideas are examples of ideas that actually couldn't work) and it should have been left open to allow more ideas in. It felt more like he was locking because he disagreed with the idea.
    --- Post updated ---
    https://www.mineplex.com/threads/why-i-quit-mineplex-bedrock.75620/ was completely misinterpreted as a I'm quitting thread even though it offered good feedback and would have created a pretty interesting discussion, and it wasn't just "I quit, so bye".

Posted Sep 28, 2019
    LordOfTeeth and leo_thya like this.
  16. I want to assume he talked to CMs about it first, as a CM locked that thread and not a FM/FN. So he probably worded it wrong or it came off wrong in his post. This means that the idea was more than likely denied by CM and watty just delivered the news.

As for the thread, it was still in violation of the thread lock guidelines, so it had to be locked regardless. Anyone and everyone can give feedback without making it a "im leaving" or "this is why i quit" thread.

Posted Sep 28, 2019
  17. Thread locks are not the only issue, mods moving threads from sections where they are still relevant in to other sections are a problem. Mine and another person's SSM threads got moved to "game alterations" even though everyone who wants to talk about SSM look in the SSM section.

Posted Sep 28, 2019
    matrixyst likes this.
  18. Ahh, well, threads are moved there to be actually discussed on whether or not the thread is a good fit to actually happen. The specific game sections are usually only there to talk about game strats, game stats, and other things not discussing ideas for the game/game alterations really. So, that's definitely something we won't be changing sorry to say.

Posted Sep 28, 2019
  19. mp forum moderation has always confused me in that way. isn't the entire point of a forum to host open discussion? when a mod comes in to a thread, whether it's barely been discussed or has hit 5 pages in length over a few days, and arbitrarily (some mod is going to reply to this specific wording and tell me "that's not fair to assume" so fine, maybe it was for a reason but it was probably a stupid reason) decides *T H R E A D L O C K E D*, it

a) shuts down literally all discussion that has already occurred. it is now nearly entirely worthless because no one that has already said something can add onto what they've said or reply to someone who responded to them
    b) shuts down all FUTURE discussion that COULD have occurred. x could've been a great idea, but I guess we'll never know, huh?
    c) condemns the thread, its ideas, and all discourse that took place in it to death and irrelevancy. since no one can reply, the thread will slowly falter and fall from New until it may as well not exist, never to be seen again besides maybe a google search at some point in the future

...kinda goes precisely against the premise of a forum, hm? nothing will ever happen if you don't even let your community discuss it. killing a thread prematurely ends the chance for what potentially could be great to ever be more than just a concept. forum moderation these days kinda gives me 2015-2016 Mineplex censorship vibes...

too soon?

TL;DR: nuking a thread into orbit for any reason other than rulebreaking or OP obviously trolling/baiting is moronic. if a post is low-effort/quality, lazy, can't be feasibly implemented, or is just generally bad, it will naturally die. THΛT'S HOW FORUM WORKS

Posted Sep 28, 2019
    Ender Rivka and swimfan72 like this.
  20. Yeah this sums up what I have been thinking. Mods shutting down threads when no rule has been broken silences any future talk. Mineplex does censor things but its because it is minecraft at the end of the day and mineplex as a server wants to be kid friendly to have a bigger player base.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 28, 2019
    Ender Rivka likes this.