• 241 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2325 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Mods should not be allowed to lock threads unless a rule has been broken by OP

Discussion in 'Forum Discussion' started by swimfan72, Sep 24, 2019.

1. @wattywatty14 brought it to my attention and I was the one who locked the thread about a non-PVP server for Clans. A non-PVP Clans server might as well just be a creative server to build which makes no sense because the idea of Clans is to build a base and fight other Clans. @Marzie is correct he did speak to me before making any news on behalf of the CM team.

Posted Sep 28, 2019
    Thenorn and NightmareWubz like this.
  2. I don't have the context for this, but this seems like you could have let it play out. There's no real reason to lock an idea thread that you don't plan on implementing, you can just slap a "not planned" on it because that's what that is for?

Posted Sep 28, 2019
    NightmareWubz and swimfan72 like this.
  3. You should have just said it was not going to happen and not have locked the thread because people still would have wanted to discuss the idea regardless of it being implemented or not.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 28, 2019
  4. The discussion would not have bear fruits seeing that taking PVP out of Clans would defeat the purpose of the gamemode. Again it would mean that players are writing as you guys say paragraphs and essays of ideas that would never see the light of day. It's better to have locked the thread. Furthermore, the argument of "Another idea could have bore from the original idea" I'll rebut that by stating that if another idea were to arise it would be irrelevant to the initial idea seeing that it would not pertain to the original idea specifically in this case. If the idea that comes up has any merits, it would in it of its own and therefore should be held in its own thread.
    --- Post updated ---
    @Fall basically it would be a creative server minus a bunch of blocks and gmc commands

Posted Sep 28, 2019
  5. It should have been more clear though, it could be very easily misinterpreted as watty locking it because he didn’t like the idea.

Posted Sep 28, 2019
  6. Posted Sep 29, 2019
    melsama and swimfan72 like this.
  7. Just because the idea suggested would not ever hit the surface doesn't mean you should lock the thread. Like I stated, you could have simply said it wasn't going to happen and left or even said nothing at all. Lots of people love using the forums for writing paragraphs and having those long discussions, as that is one of the biggest reasons people even use messaging boards.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 29, 2019
  8. I agree with OP. The Mineplex forums are systemically mismanaged. They induce more rage than anything else as people are silenced in the absence of a compelling reason, day in and day out.

Today, all of Mineplex has been offline and we have a single discussion thread wherein a moderator said it'll probably be fixed soon, might even be routine maintenance (no, routine maintenance would be announced) and the thread is locked. Let people vent. It's healthy. Not letting people vent is unhealthy and even more rage inducing.

Perhaps more frustrating than locking active discussions is penalizing people for posting in a discussion that is "too old." If it's too old, then lock all old threads instead of penalizing people for communicating in a discussion forum. I'll repeat. It's bad to punish people for posting non-argumentative comments in a discussion forum.

This can't be real life. Is this a TV show? Should I look at the camera and shrug?

The moderation of the forums is emblematic of all of Mineplex's management problems. At no point do they truly understand what they are doing. Oh, they have reasons for everything they do, but every single one of them is poorly thought through, poorly reasoned, and not user-centered for a positive gaming experience.

Posted Sep 29, 2019
    matrixyst likes this.
  9. Let's not turn this into a mineplex vent thread or anything, but I do think some stuff is mismanaged. I did ask why Mineplex was down in /offtopic/ and I got a sort of a "I don't really know why" answer from a mod and that thread got locked literally 15 minutes ago, for "concern answered" even though it really wasn't. Ironically, it proves my point about useless locks. However, I believe Mineplex does know what they are doing 99 percent of the time but the servers being down is that one percent exception. I have a pretty positive experience on the website and the gaming experience has been good to except for the lack of major bedrock updates but that's a thread for another time. You are 20 levels higher than me and by your post you seem to have had a longer, but also more negative experience on the server than I have, so I guess it is about perspective when it comes to agreeing with mp mods at times.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 29, 2019
  10. Perhaps your being on Bedrock is the difference. Java is plagued by hackers, and has been for years. GWEN is blind to many hacks, and hackers are openly discuss what does and doesn't work in chat. As I've been told by mods -- hackers can even admit to hacking, but because 'they could be lying' they are free to do so.

Before most URLs were filtered from public chat, I'd even seen links shared for downloading hacked accounts (which is why hackers have endless alt accounts... one account gets banned, move on to the next one).

Seven million Minecraft accounts were hacked in 2016. Minecraft servers responded by cracking down, IP banning, and so forth... all the things any serious game service does. Mineplex? They IP banned for about a week in Clans one season, and then reversed themselves. That one week made a night and day difference. The game was fun again for pvp. Oh well. Stick around long enough and you'll see, unless Bedrock is somehow free of hackers.

Posted Sep 29, 2019
  11. Even if the idea was denied the thread should have been allowed to die off on its own. While its unlikely, this idea could have been massively supported by the clans community, or could have sparked an idea in the comments section that lead to mineplex's best selling game. It's not likely but discussion under this thread could have changed into talking about a creative building game. If the idea has been denied simply let the thread die.

Posted Sep 29, 2019
    matrixyst likes this.
  12. Read Granpa's replies above.
    --- Post updated ---
    Thread was fine to be locked to clear up concerns and missleading information potentially given by the OP, and it really doesn't have a place to be discussed or talked about. The title itself is missleading from what actually could've happened in the MPS. Maybe the person was removed by a co-host and now it makes the staff member look bad. Either way, the thread was calling out a staff member and giving their "negative" experience. If they really wanted to vent about that or give feedback, they could've done so in a support ticket or vented about it on their wall.

You can do so on your wall, but not really ob our forums. The forums aren't necessarily meant for venting. Not sure why you need to vent about the server being down anyways. Also, of course the server is down, but staff are never told the reason usually as to why. We don't want our forums covered with "omg the server is down but why???" when the server will come back up just fine in a few minutes to a few hours. Everyone just needs to calm down and let the devs do their jobs, you don't need a reason why it's down all the time.

Have you read the necro post rule? You can still reply to old threads and the only things that's stopping you is the red box that you checkmark to say you've read the rule on it and to make sure your reply is fitting. If you're talking about something else, I'm not sure what it could be really. The necro post rule/red box is the only thing holding people back from what I know.
    --- Post updated ---
    From what I've seen, not locking the thread doesn't really bring up any new ideas as a whole. Most people look at the OP, skip the comments, and keep commenting on the thread, as if no one else said anything saying the original idea was denied. It esentially just becomes a post boosting free for all without actually post boosting. When it comes to ideas that are flat out denied and will never ever happen no matter how many times suggested, that also warrents a thread lock. If people end up having a better idea than the OPs, we'd rather them make a new thread anyways so we can get attention to that thread.

Posted Sep 29, 2019
    Thenorn likes this.
  13. At this point we're not talking about what actually happens anymore, it has become hypothesizing. Of course that not every thread will be processed the way it should be as everyone makes mistakes from time to time. The thing is, these happen very rarely, and as it has been said a few times before, if an idea thread is locked it definitely isn't due to the decision of the individual staff member, but the team they are representing that deals with these threads. What's being suggested here is the disruption of this efficiency just to let the odd decent thread live, while the worse ones constantly receive the same negative feedback that eventually clogs up the Latest Posts section and prevents new threads from popping up. The situation actually reminds me a lot of the controversy regarding the staff age requirement, when multiple people requested it to be removed just so that a few people who may be fit for the position get through with less effort, even though it puts a tremendous amount of work on the Recruiters who would then have to dedicate much more of their time to process applications that are below the standard for the most part. It's the same situation here - if an idea is not good enough to be implemented, it might still continue to be bumped for days, and these threads are popping up all the time. On the other hand, even though there have been a multitude of threads suggested as unfairly locked, I have yet to see one that should not have been closed for discussion. There are exceptions in both examples I've talked about, but they just aren't frequent enough to cause a major change, and can instead be resolved by messaging the moderator who locked the thread for elaboration, contacting their supervisor or making another thread while following the rule about reversing staff actions.

Posted Sep 29, 2019
  14. Which is a problem because? As long as there is a clear and definitive answer by the staff saying, "We will not be doing this because this would just be a creative server but worse," if people want to talk about it I don't see any reason to. People are obviously upset with the outcome so...

This just seems short sighted. If another idea were to arise from the discussion and it was irrelevant to the thread, then yeah it would probably get its own thread, but you're ignoring the actual birth of that idea through discussion--something that doesn't happen if you lock a thread.

Posted Sep 29, 2019
  15. Posted Sep 30, 2019
  16. It is very interesting how the name and proof of this were removed by staff. Hmmmm

Posted Sep 30, 2019
    KarmaCallama and NothinButNetYT like this.
  17. Wait really? Source?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 30, 2019
    NothinButNetYT likes this.
  18. Here is the thread. All uses of the mod's name were removed. The proof of the kicking was removed. Now it's impossible for anyone to find out why the mod kicked the person from the MPS.

Posted Sep 30, 2019
  19. That was most likely done to prevent unnecessary hate being sent towards the individual, since most people will probably get annoyed by the fact that the mod removed the player from the MPS, even though it is completely within their right to do so. Plus, it's not nice to be publicly called out in a thread for something that you're allowed to do. I personally see no reason to keep that thread open, it would've just caused unneeded arguments over why the player should/shouldn't have been removed and create needless drama.

Posted Sep 30, 2019
    Thenorn likes this.
  20. I haven't experienced mods locking my threads before. But i can understand your frustration and I agree in what you think. I think there should be a more strict rule when mods can actually lock threads

Posted Sep 30, 2019