• 1072 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3651 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Move smash crystals back to the 15 minute mark

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by KarmaCallama, Dec 9, 2019.

?

What should be done about smash crystals

1. Remove them

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. Move then back to 15 minutes

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Move them back to a different time

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Leave them as they are

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. While I and many others want smash crystals removed, mineplex seems to not want to remove smash crystals entirely from the game, I've suggested a compromise idea. Moving when the smash crystal spawns from 5 minutes to 15 minutes.

The argument made by the pro smash crystal side is that smash crystals help speed up the end of the game. I highly disagree with this but seem unable to change their minds. If smash crystals were moved back to 15 minutes, games that stalled unnecessarily long could end from the smash, but a normal 5-10 minute length game would be allowed to end naturally.

Posted Dec 9, 2019
    Crash, °3°, Im_Ken and 7 others like this.
  2. The only problem with this is that a lot of the kits that can excessively run well, can also easily get the smash crystal. It's very easy for this idea to just backfire, and for the runner to get the smash crystal.

Posted Dec 9, 2019
  3. Yeah I completely agree and want them removed, this is just a point of compromise as this would prevent almost every game from being ruined by smashes as decent players usually wrap up their games well before this point even against runners

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 9, 2019
    Crash and Niclaslaubscher like this.
  4. Didn't know the timer was 5 minutes. I think 5 mins is too early but 15 minutes is too long. 10 mins should be the sweetspot.

I'm open to the idea of removing them but don't really care tbh :p

Posted Dec 10, 2019
    Crash, ehappy, Lotas and 3 others like this.
  5. I think mineplex seems unwilling to remove. 10 min is still a better option than 5 min as 5min is just so short and I usually finish before 10 min so that can be considered

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 10, 2019
  6. i agree that they should be removed entirely but if we had to compromise then your idea is great. five minutes is at that point where everyone's down to 1-2 lives which is literally the most inconvenient time for the crystal to spawn in my (biased!) opinion

Posted Dec 11, 2019
    Mitchy and KarmaCallama like this.
  7. Just move them to the 1-hour mark gotem

Posted Dec 11, 2019
    Crash, KarmaCallama and Mitchy like this.
  8. Yeah gotta agree with @Evira here! She stated everything for me!
    Ta Ta,
    Gardevoir

Posted Dec 11, 2019
  9. Would any leave them as they are votes care to explain their side?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 11, 2019
    Mitchy likes this.
  10. Yeah sure if Mineplex won't remove them then they should just get moved to the 15 minute mark. I've only been in a couple games that have lasted that long. So I'm hoping that by moving them back this far I'll rarely get to see them.

Posted Dec 11, 2019
  11. Some kits (like chicken which i play) definitely have bad smash crystal abilities but I think that the smash crystal is an important and unique part of the game and shouldn’t be removed. My games usually are around 5-10 minutes long and having a smash crystal in the middle-end makes the game more challenging and i think the time is good as is currently. Some smashes (like earthquake) are op but usually you are able to survive or just lose one life.

Posted Dec 12, 2019
    _Gulvan likes this.
  12. Literally, I was just thinking this, but I thought I’d get shot down on the forums if I suggested this. Yes, I agree. 5 minutes is way too short to serve the purpose that I see smash crystals serving. In my opinion, they’re a special ability that helps the game end when it’s taking a while, but since the timer is 5 minutes, most players are still alive and it’s really just a big advantage for the player that gets it. When I play SSM, usually all players are still left at 5 minutes. This makes it difficult for the smash crystal to serve its purpose, which makes it practically useless. However, I also think that 15 minutes is too long. I can’t remember the last time I had a 15 minute game. I think a good compromise, like what @Evira said, 10 minutes is a good number. Ultimately, I think if the timer was pushed back to ten minutes it would serve its purpose better.

Thanks for being the one to suggest this.

Posted Dec 12, 2019
    Crash, BreadIV and _Gulvan like this.
  13. The challenge should be based off the skill level of your opponents not a chance crystal that is extremely unbalanced depending on what kit gets it.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 12, 2019
    Crash, Mitchy and .allykaty like this.
  14. Well that smash was specifically patched so you could only lose 1 life because of how fast it can kill most kits.

Posted Dec 12, 2019
    Mitchy likes this.
  15. Instead of ultimates being removed from the game, they should be reworked. For example, the Crystal can provide an aura that increases the ultimate meter of the nearby players over time. Once it's full, they are able to use their ultimate ability. This will:
    1. Remove the randomness described above (Anyone can snatch the crystal no matter how good or bad their situation is);
    2. Remove the disbalance between classes (There are some kits that can snatch crystal much more easily);
    3. Eliminate the "eternal running" problem which leads to many complaints from the community
    On the other hand, this will make the comeback much harder. IMO this is a bad thing because this will make the games less interesting for the losing side and less intense overall, but I think it isn't too important.

Posted Dec 12, 2019
  16. The issue with a rework is the devs will take years to update it, smash crystals are so unbalanced that we need a "quick fix" now. Removal and setting the time they spawn back are the only two quick and easy options that take almost zero time. Also they are safe options as a complete rework wouldn't be guarenteed to work well while we already know what no smash crystals is like as that's how ssm was prior to the 2015 update.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 12, 2019
  17. Brahhhh, what's with the perfect grammar? Doesn't sound like the saltyfishhy I know that's more human.

And wow oh wow, first time I said something that's the opposite of controversial :D

Posted Dec 13, 2019
  18. Then moving to 10/12/15-minute mark is better, because this won't cause the efforts that have gone into the development of the ultimate abilities be wasted AND won't remove the great-looking content from the game
    Honestly, I don't understand why it takes so long to update SSM. I know about the development cycle on Mineplex, but, well, even the rework I proposed wouldn't take more than 1 day to implement if I was familiar with the Bukkit API. The game hasn't received any attention since I started playing the original version on Mineplex (and that's half of the year, btw). The only update we had was the silent release of the two new maps. Either they have only one programmer or I don't understand, why it takes so long to go through the full cycle. This is sad and frustrating. Even if they're really busy, why won't Mineplex hire the volunteer programmers for each of the major games?
    And yes, if the crystal mechanic is completely broken then no rework will make things worse:)

Posted Dec 13, 2019,
    Last edited Dec 13, 2019
  19. Yeah I'm really confused as well because they have 6 devs, which I don't believe is that much less than they used to back when updates were frequent

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 13, 2019
    _Gulvan likes this.