• 1286 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3865 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

My Proposed Balance Changes 7/24 (Mage)

Discussion in 'Champions' started by hhyphen, Jul 24, 2019.

Tags:
?

Rate balance changes

1. A

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. C

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. D

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. F

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. copied from previous...
    The way it is right now, Champions is actually more balanced than others would perceive. Yes, assassin does stand out more than other kits but that will always be true because the skill ceiling on assassin is so high. Other kits, like mage, could also use some help finding a true place in the meta. This is what I think could help the game become more balanced. If you have any feedback, please let me know. Also, I will not include these here but I’m also expecting the illusion glitch, block toss glitch, and smoke bomb latency issue to be fixed as well.
    Mage will be a bit more challenging because it isn’t talked about a lot but it is in dire need of changes. That said, let’s just jump right in.

Mage

Static Lazer
    - Maximum reach distance split in half
    Notes: Mage is supposed to be sort of a “jack of all trades, master of none” sort of kit but abilities like static Lazer make it especially good at ranged combat and in a lot of situation a better option than the ranger kit itself. In addition, static Lazer can feel like the range it is hitting you at just doesn’t feel natural. With static 6, a mage can pressure you with 12 damage beams with no travel time and a huge hit box from nearly across the map. The damage isn’t a problem, but the range can feel limitless.

Blizzard
    - Knock-back power significantly reduced
    - Snowballs do 1 damage to target
    Notes: As it is now, snowballs push you back, with no possible counter-play unless your assassin, and even lift you up into the air. This is annoying to play against and pretty hard for the mage to set up anything with this. Instead, the snowballs merely will stop ur momentum and hold you in place with damage-based knock-back (like the snowman from SSM) rather than just blowing you away. Right now, blizzard is kind of a meme.

Arctic Armor
    - No longer extends the lifetime of Ice Prison
    Notes: There are too many things that are possible with Ice Prison + Arctic such as Ice Prison stacking and permanent suffocation from Ice Prison that shouldn’t be allowed.

Void
    -
    No long immune to knock-back
    Notes: Void can feel very oppressive inside and outside of tight spaces. You can virtually use void anywhere. Giving it a cool down would feel clunky because it already runs on energy. Also, void + Ice Prison is a very powerful combo. Adding knock-back to Void allows more counter-play and skill to be used against a void user. Plus, I think hold position should be the only ability of that kind.

Life Bonds
    - Healing comes from energy bar rather than own hp.
    Notes: I don’t know why it was ever like this and how this ever got through play testing. This is probably bottom 3 worst abilities in the game. It has so much potential to give mage a place as a healer and I think emphasizing this could be really cool. Healing teammates using your own health though cannot keep going. Maybe a heal would take 1/6 of the bar and after 6 heals you need to recharge it.

Glacial Blade
    -
    Projectile speed increased
    Notes: Needs a little boost because it’s too hard to get any actual value from it besides those random hits you get when your just swinging your sword.

That’s it for the mage changes. Not much, but I put honest effort into these ideas, tell me what you think. Next is ranger .

Posted Jul 24, 2019,
    Last edited Jul 24, 2019
    Pythraithia likes this.
  2. Hey hhyphen I corrected your last post about assassin and I will do the same for you with mage. I honestly believe any kit of than illusion smoke bomb Assassin should be removed but I have a better solution for mage. If any class gets within 400 blocks of the mage the mage is automatically silenced making it less ability reliant and more PvP reliant. I also feel if any class is fighting the mage there sword should turn into a hyper axe to deal to more damage to the mage. If an illusion smoke bomb assassin is fighting a mage it should be able to one shot the mage because an illusion smoke bomb assassin is currently very weak and needs a buff. Nice try though on trying to balance mage.

Posted Jul 24, 2019
    Bossitiveplays likes this.
  3. I disagree with a lot of the changes, but some of them are decent. Thoughts below.

Static Lazer
    - Maximum reach distance split in half
    Notes: Mage is supposed to be sort of a “jack of all trades, master of none” sort of kit but abilities like static Lazer make it especially good at ranged combat and in a lot of situation a better option than the ranger kit itself. In addition, static Lazer can feel like the range it is hitting you at just doesn’t feel natural. With static 6, a mage can pressure you with 12 damage beams with no travel time and a huge hit box from nearly across the map. The damage isn’t a problem, but the range can feel limitless.
    Yes, because we need to remove the POINT OF STATIC IN THE FIRST PLACE

Blizzard
    - Knock-back power significantly reduced
    - Snowballs do 1 damage to target
    Notes: As it is now, snowballs push you back, with no possible counter-play unless your assassin, and even lift you up into the air. This is annoying to play against and pretty hard for the mage to set up anything with this. Instead, the snowballs merely will stop ur momentum and hold you in place with damage-based knock-back (like the snowman from SSM) rather than just blowing you away. Right now, blizzard is kind of a meme.
    I'm convinced you've never used blizzard in your life. It's probably the 2nd best mage sword skill after Rupture, which we could say is basically broken, but you don't even touch on that. Things that are easy to set up with Blizzard include rodding, Glacial Blade comboes, breaking your fall, keeping enemies off you, boosting people into spaces they couldn't reach normally (i.e. spawns), holding people in place for your ranger/assassin pals, etc.

Arctic Armor
    - No longer extends the lifetime of Ice Prison
    Notes: There are too many things that are possible with Ice Prison + Arctic such as Ice Prison stacking and permanent suffocation from Ice Prison that shouldn’t be allowed.
    Unless they're doing it to spawn, which is bannable, it's hilariously easy to counter with every class except Knight.

Void
    -
    No long immune to knock-back
    Notes: Void can feel very oppressive inside and outside of tight spaces. You can virtually use void anywhere. Giving it a cool down would feel clunky because it already runs on energy. Also, void + Ice Prison is a very powerful combo. Adding knock-back to Void allows more counter-play and skill to be used against a void user. Plus, I think hold position should be the only ability of that kind.
    Again. No knockback is the POINT of void aside from reducing damage, which is what Arctic Armor does. Void has a lot of counterplay if they aren't running Ice Prison and really even in Ice Prison there are things you can do to beat it, like jumping out using Assassin or Brute skills, waiting out the prison duration with blizzard, etc.

Life Bonds
    - Healing comes from energy bar rather than own hp.
    Notes: I don’t know why it was ever like this and how this ever got through play testing. This is probably bottom 3 worst abilities in the game. It has so much potential to give mage a place as a healer and I think emphasizing this could be really cool. Healing teammates using your own health though cannot keep going. Maybe a heal would take 1/6 of the bar and after 6 heals you need to recharge it.
    This is actually a good change. I stand by this. Nothing bad to say about it.

Glacial Blade
    - Projectile speed increased
    Notes: Needs a little boost because it’s too hard to get any actual value from it besides those random hits you get when your just swinging your sword.
    I think more than anything, Glacial needs a hitbox change since it's often hard to hit targets above their waist due to wacky hitboxes.

Here's a change that I personally want.

Rupture
    - Particles are visible
    - Now has a limited distance of 25(+10L) blocks. Once it reaches that distance, the rupture will detonate as if you released it.

Posted Jul 27, 2019
    Starx280, Yato and SpitefulNick like this.
  4. If you touch Ranger, you better buff Harrows or leave it alone.
    -Harrow activist.

Posted Jul 28, 2019
  5. I’m looking to “rework” heavy arrows.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 28, 2019
  6. "reworks" are nerfs soooooo you better be careful.

Posted Jul 29, 2019
  7. Not necessarily

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 29, 2019
  8. This man knows mage to the core :D

Posted Aug 2, 2019