• 790 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 12231 Players Online
  • 11441 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned NDA

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by bryan., Dec 14, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imagine how great it would be if staff were all under NDA's and were just that much more efficient at banning blatants and closets?

Posted Dec 14, 2020
    anthxny, Debuted, Paladise and 2 others like this.
  2. lets go this is what its all about this is what ive been waiting for

Posted Dec 14, 2020
    anthxny and bryan. like this.
  3. I definitely agree. More staff members should be able to ban closeters because nowadays, closet hacking has become more prevalent than the blatant years ago. If only a couple of staff members from QA can ban these hackers, then there is a serious problem because they focus on other stuff, but don't adress the main issue infecting every competitive pvp gamemode on the server. I strongly agree that more staff can ban these cheaters

Posted Dec 14, 2020
    Gil-galad and bryan. like this.
  4. Life would be so great to play without 4 closters in 1 game rolling you to another planet like also qa need to know how to do gwen appeals because they are complete trash (Ik this cuz from 1st hand lol) they will accept basically every appeal that isn’t you bhopping and stuff so if you reach get banned you can just casually appeal without worry lol.

Posted Dec 14, 2020
    anthxny likes this.
  5. Whilst I agree it would be great to have all staff under NDA and dealing with closet cheaters, I don't think it's going to be possible, purely due to the fact that not all current staff members would be comfortable with signing a legal document like an NDA, Mineplex would have to take a lot of time to ensure that all of the documents are issued and signed correctly and ensure that they are enforced should anyone break them. Not all staff that are under NDA currently are even able to deal with closet cheaters anyway. For example, although I am under NDA due to previously being on the Social Media team, as I am not Quality Assurance, I cannot do anything about closet cheaters. A change like this would realistically require the whole staff team to be restructured which I can't see happening.

Posted Dec 14, 2020,
    Last edited Dec 14, 2020
    xWand, anna dot, scarlet and 4 others like this.
  6. I can't say I necessarily agree with this idea for various different reasons. To highlight it more clearly, an NDA is an agreement that outlines specific information or materials that prohibits those under this agreement to reveal that information in any way. In order for staff members to carry out their responsibilities, it is not necessary for them to be under an NDA, with the exclusion being members of cQAT, QA, SM and official employees. Requiring all staff members to be under an NDA is not plausible as many individuals aren't comfortable with being placed under the restrictions of such a legal document, and doing so would jeopardize the ability of the team to carry out its function considering the thought that members of the team would be forced to resign if they didn't go under NDA.

As a member of Quality Assurance, you're more qualified to be able to detect and act out against closet cheating because of your access to internal information, however the reason regular staff members aren't allowed to punish for it is because the lack of clarity of what really is closet cheating (such as modified knockback). In that case, I personally agree that encouraging education is the proper step to follow. Whether it's procedures and steps that QA may take to relay information of detecting closet cheats to the staff team or an increased range of staff members having access to be able to punish for it, any step in this direction would probably be a correct one. However, pushing education on these types of things only reaches out to specific areas of closet cheating, alongside being time consuming as well. Staff members have other responsibilities as well, and some staff members punish less players than other ones simply due to the fact that they're on teams that require their full dedication to.

It simply doesn't seem realistic as the decision to force staff members under NDA is not only very restrictive but exercises resources to areas where members of Quality Assurance already satisfy pretty fairly.

Posted Dec 14, 2020
    Tobias and Amg like this.
  7. "satisfy pretty fairly" clearly you haven't played games where there's closeters absolutely 5 blocking you to mars?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 14, 2020
    anthxny likes this.
  8. I agree that closet cheaters are a problem, but at the same time, I don't see MP doing anything about it. As in.. they would never have all staff sign NDA just so they can ban closet cheaters. Idk .. this is a problem, but I don't think this solution would work or is effective.

Posted Dec 14, 2020
  9. Solving one problem and creating another.

Many staff members are under the age of 17 and some parents/guardians might not want their child to be under this document since it involves heavy penalties should it be broken. I don't know about the specifics of NDA signings, but I'd imagine it would also be a delaying step in staff recruitment. I, as much as anyone else, wish to find a solution to this problem, this is not a feasible one though.

Posted Dec 14, 2020
    anna dot and Jet Starglaze like this.
  10. Hello there,

I don't think it's a great idea to add NDA to all staff members. Staff members who are not reaching an adult age aren't comfortable signing the legal document. I know it can be frustrating that staff members cannot deal with the closest cheater in-game. Only Quality Assurance has the ability to banned the closest cheater in-game. Requiring all staff members who'd be under NDA may defeat the purposes of the system in my point of view.

Overall, it's a nice idea that you have. Unfortunately, I am going have to disagree with it. -1

Posted Dec 14, 2020
    anna dot and Fusafez like this.
  11. As many players above me have stated, this doesn't seem like a good idea. Parents can be very upset if their child does violate the NDA, and it can have severe consequences. I don't really see how it could be beneficial staff who are 17+, I could possibly see that. But still, I doubt it will be coming in the foreseeable future. I will leave my score as a -1.

Posted Dec 14, 2020
    anna dot likes this.
  12. Hey there! Signing an NDA has nothing to do with stopping closet cheaters and will likely not solve the problem. As stated above by other staff, we have a dedicated team under an NDA on Mineplex (Quality Assurance) who helps to stop these cheaters. If all staff were signed to an NDA, this would not make much of a difference for players who closet and would only make things worse. The reason I say this may be worse, is because not all staff are interesting and able to sign a legal agreement. Additionally, not all staff are adults and there parents may not agree or feel comfortable with them signing a document. While it would be nice if everybody could punish for closet cheating, this is unfortunately something I will have to disagree on.

- Lucas

Posted Dec 14, 2020
    Fusafez likes this.
  13. Your dedicated team works very hard and that's great! However despite their hard work, both closests and blatants run rampant in both pvp and non pvp games alike. I'm not saying all staff members need to be on a NDA but at least have more, or a majority being under a NDA so they can be more effective in stopping these cheaters.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 15, 2020
    Fusafez and anthxny like this.
  14. I agree that closet cheaters are an issue (try playing a game of MS; there are usually rayers in every lobby, at least when I get on in the evenings), but forcing all staff to sign an NDA isn't the way to go in my opinion. I do think that who can volunteer to become part of QA and sign an NDA should be expanded though. As long as potential QA members are adequately taught how to spot closet hacks, I think the outcome can only be beneficial, since closet cheaters are a significant issue. Plus, having people volunteer to be considered for QA would help to combat staff feeling pressured to sign an DNA.

Posted Dec 15, 2020
    SALB and rmotheram like this.
  15. Like Lucas said, more staff under NDA ≠ more closet cheaters banned. The Quality Assurance senior moderator team takes care of that. Social Media team is under NDA, and they don't ban closet cheaters because it's not what they need the NDA for.

There are currently nine members of Quality Assurance, followed by a couple more heading towards it. There is not that many, yes, but they do as much as they can. Not much else can be done. You can't just go to a random hardworking staff member and tell them "here, sign this NDA just so that you can also ban closet cheaters. You will gain access to very internal information and you can ban closeters with it". It's unjust and not everybody would be comfortable with that - additionally, the more experienced staff members of Mineplex are in higher positions, usually on Senior Moderator teams, and they would not have time to contribute to banning these cheaters unless they are on QA; they have loads of work of their own. Banning closet cheaters takes a lot of additional work and effort as false bans want to be avoided as much as possible and clear, concrete evidence is needed.

Even if a community member is heavily suspected for being a closet cheater, and, realistically, they definitely are, unless there is hardcore evidence that exactly points to them, there can be consequences if they get banned with nothing to support the claim. Especially since a lot of closet cheaters are experienced players with ranks and levels - a lot of them will fight to come back, and if there's no data tying them properly, more than a couple accusations, who do you think will win?

As annoying of a situation as it is, it's not ignored. But more staff that aren't a part of QA should not be put under NDA solely for banning closet cheaters when there is a lot more work to be done.

Posted Dec 15, 2020
    Fusafez likes this.
  16. I will be marking this as Not Planned and locking it.

We’re not planning to put staff members under NDA when we don’t need to. Closet cheating is only a fraction of the rule-breaking staff encounter and making each and every staff member punish for this might make them uncomfortable as it’s harder to see, you’d have to check logs, etc...This would most likely increase the number of false bans which we want to limit, and I’m sure you feel the same.

If Mineplex was a server completely centered around pvp, staff may all be required to punish for things like reach or mod kb. But as it stands, there’s only a few games centered around pvp and the rest are mainly mini-games with little to no emphasis on it.

Plus, the age requirement for staff is 13+ - putting a 13/14 year old under NDA just so that they can punish for a couple additional hacks is very unnecessary.

Thread Locked ➸ Not Planned

Posted May 4, 2021
    rilau likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.