• 2211 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4790 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion New Game: Orb Runners

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by HungryClicker, Jan 10, 2020.

?

Do you want a posted lists of the Orbs and their attributes?

1. Yes

83.3%
  2. No

16.7%
  1. Basically, It's like survival games, but 14 or so players spawn in a randomly generated survival world. There are borders that enclose an area of about 5000 X 5000 blocks. However, as the game progresses, this border will start to close in to about a 100 X 100 block radius. At the beginning of the game, players spawn far from each other and have to collect resources kill off other players, and eventually be the last one standing. But, there is another way to win the game as well. The most notable aspect of this game are "power ups" called orbs. Orbs will give you specific attributes that will help you to complete your objective and survive in the world. These orbs are all unique from each other, and have names that distinguish them, aka, Orb of Speed, Orb of Adventure... 3 Random Orbs will spawn on the surface of the map every 3 minutes in a randomly chosen spot. All players still alive will be notified that more orbs have landed, but not which ones specifically. Orbs will be seen as a nether star on a 5x5 obsidian platform placed in the ground, with their specific name specifying which orb it is. Players touch the orb and obtain it by it being placed in your inventory, not the hot bar. Orbs also have rarity rankings, represented by a specific colored glow of the nether star. To win the game, a player either has to be the last player alive on the map, have the most orbs by the time the game ends, or have 15 orbs in their inventory, thus ending the game immediately.

Other rules added to this game:

1. When a player is killed by another player, that player automatically gains all of the other players orbs.

2. All players will be notified when another player has picked up an orb, as well as their total orb count. (For example, "(PlayerName) has just picked up "Orb of Defense"! 9/15 orbs")

3. The day and night cycle will be reduced to 3 minutes of daylight and 3 minutes of nighttime.

4. If a player is killed by natural causes (Falling, burning, mobs), then all of those player's orb will disappear. (You need to work for your orbs!) However, if a player uses a lava bucket on a player and burns them to death, that lava was from that player, therefore they gain their orbs.

5. Killed players will only drop their orbs, nothing else in their inventory will drop.

6. Players cannot, travel to the nether or end from a portal, start with a map, shoot and explode orbs, or drop orbs in their inventory. (This is because some orbs have small negative effects in exchange for greater positive ones)

7. Generated structures will be disabled, so nobody gets an advantage at the beginning.

8. Game can be about 15-20 minutes long naturally.

9. About 14-20 players can play at one time.

That's about it for now. In case you are wondering, I do have a list of about 20 orbs and their attributes written down already, so if people want that posted as well then you can let me know, and I'll either update or make a new thread for that list. Thanks for reading my idea!

Posted Jan 10, 2020
    xGetRektedx likes this.
  2. This is almost a replicate of UHC as that game also incorporates the mechanics of a closing border as the game runs while players collect resources in the world and survive. Orb Runners may also split the community just like other close versions of existent games.

Aside from UHC, lets get into the juicy gameplay part. To start, there are aspects of the game missing.

-At what rate do the borders close in at (blocks/minute)?
    -What are the functions of orb rarities?

The game mechanics can use vast improvement. Orbs should act more as powerups or anything that helps a player win. When determining the victor, the amount of orbs a player has salvaged should play no role. If they get lucky and collect too many, all they really need is a fishing rod so enemies will never get to them. They will just incessantly run for long periods of time until time is up. Little skill is involved in this strategy and I can only imagine how outrageous it would be to those who want a fair game. Killing other players should also give everything in their inventory as a reward. If a nearly unprepared player with low-tiered gear happens to pull a rabbit out of a hat against someone in full iron, they deserve an upgrade for their excellent play.

Report a User | Report a Bug | Rules | My Profile | Applications

Posted Jan 10, 2020
    HungryClicker and xGetRektedx like this.
  3. Hello there! I like the concept of the game, it is mostly unique and very well thought-out. However, as @_Prof_ stated, it does remind me of UHC, and this could be an issue. The general objective of the game, collecting orbs is very distinctive and unordinary. The killing part-that is very similar to UHC, where you kill all the players to win. (I don’t know if you’ve played UHC before) As it is very similar to this game, it also has its differences. The main goal is to collect orbs, instead of focused mainly on carnage. The orb idea is very well thought-out and I would definitely like to see the list you’ve created to go along with this game. I could see this being focused mainly on killing however, instead of collecting orbs, maybe you should limit the deaths, to avoid abuse of killing as a way to get orbs. I don’t know if this is for Java or Bedrock-but I could see it working in both versions. Overall, I can see a few fatal flaws in this game, but I would like to see this implemented with some changes. (If you need ideas, just let me know!) I will have to give this +0.25 as I am half and half for this idea. Thank you for sharing your ideas with the community!

Posted Jan 10, 2020
    HungryClicker and _Prof_ like this.
  4. Thanks so much for the feedback!!! I do agree that the game could use a few fixes, and that is mostly on my part. But I would love to see this game get taken off the ground from here! I am only able to play bedrock version right now, so I didn't know about UHC, but I'm sorry if it was too much like that. But if you would like I can post the list of orbs right now. Just like the game mechanics, the orbs will probably be needing some fixing too.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 10, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  5. Thank you for your comments. I do realize that maybe players should drop their items when killed. It is certainly fair like that, and I could see the benefits from making that change. However, this is just an idea right now, but I hope it can become more than just an idea one day. As for your questions, I think an acceptable rate for the shrinking border would something like 50 blocks per minute? I don't know how fast or slow that would be in the game's time. As for the orb rarities, they are just there to distinguish which orbs may be better than others. I just wanted to be able to differentiate orbs on how good they were in my opinion. Sorry if it seems to much like UHC. I can only play bedrock edition right now and I don't think there was a game like that. But if you would like me to post the list of the orbs I have made, then let me know. Thanks for the suggestions!

Report a User | Report a Bug | Rules | My Profile | Applications[/QUOTE]

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 10, 2020
  6. So recently, I posted this idea on the New Games Discussion, and wanted to expand it to here as well to get more opinions on this, as this forum has a bigger base for posts and threads.

Basically, It's like survival games, but 14 or so players spawn in a randomly generated survival world. There are borders that enclose an area of about 5000 X 5000 blocks. However, as the game progresses, this border will start to close in to about a 100 X 100 block radius. At the beginning of the game, players spawn far from each other and have to collect resources kill off other players, and eventually be the last one standing. But, there is another way to win the game as well. The most notable aspect of this game are "power ups" called orbs. Orbs will give you specific attributes that will help you to complete your objective and survive in the world. These orbs are all unique from each other, and have names that distinguish them, aka, Orb of Speed, Orb of Adventure... 3 Random Orbs will spawn on the surface of the map every 3 minutes in a randomly chosen spot. All players still alive will be notified that more orbs have landed, but not which ones specifically. Orbs will be seen as a nether star on a 5x5 obsidian platform placed in the ground, with their specific name specifying which orb it is. Players touch the orb and obtain it by it being placed in your inventory, not the hot bar. Orbs also have rarity rankings, represented by a specific colored glow of the nether star. To win the game, a player either has to be the last player alive on the map, have the most orbs by the time the game ends, or have 15 orbs in their inventory, thus ending the game immediately.

Other rules added to this game:

1. When a player is killed by another player, that player automatically gains all of the other players orbs.

2. All players will be notified when another player has picked up an orb, as well as their total orb count. (For example, "(PlayerName) has just picked up "Orb of Defense"! 9/15 orbs")

3. The day and night cycle will be reduced to 3 minutes of daylight and 3 minutes of nighttime.

4. If a player is killed by natural causes (Falling, burning, mobs), then all of those player's orb will disappear. (You need to work for your orbs!) However, if a player uses a lava bucket on a player and burns them to death, that lava was from that player, therefore they gain their orbs.

5. Killed players will only drop their orbs, nothing else in their inventory will drop.

6. Players cannot, travel to the nether or end from a portal, start with a map, shoot and explode orbs, or drop orbs in their inventory. (This is because some orbs have small negative effects in exchange for greater positive ones)

7. Generated structures will be disabled, so nobody gets an advantage at the beginning.

8. Game can be about 15-20 minutes long naturally.

9. About 14-20 players can play at one time.

That's about it for now. In case you are wondering, I do have a list of about 20 orbs and their attributes written down already, so if people want that posted as well then you can let me know, and I'll either update or make a new thread for that list. Thanks for reading my idea!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 11, 2020
  7. I like this! The only issue people might have with it is either just seeing it as a copy of hunger games or pros hanging them up to dry with speed/jump bugs so they cant hit them. I think a good way to counter possible OP players is adding one for every potion that affect pvp, including debuffs, and only adding one of each. This way you either have to choose collecting orbs or fighting to win. Really good idea though!

Posted Jan 11, 2020
  8. Hi there!

This game reminds me of UHC as you spawn in a world and it decreases later on and on. I can't really comment on this much as I don't have much detail on how powerful the orbs would be or how underpowered they'd be. So for now I'll leave this at a 0

Posted Jan 12, 2020
    _Prof_ likes this.
  9. what about kits?

Posted Jan 12, 2020
  10. Thread Moved to New Game Discussion

I have no comments on this thread.

Posted Jan 12, 2020
  11. this idea looks great! the only thing i would change is to make the nether star a pearl instead. i feel it would represent an orb better.

Posted Jan 12, 2020
  12. This game sounds a lot like hunger games except with a few twists. The orb aspect to this game is very creative. This would be cool to see but since it is so similar to what Mineplex has currently I don’t think it should be added.

Posted Jan 12, 2020
  13. Hello!

This game sounds a lot like Money Wars from Fortnite, besides the orbs giving you special perks (the coins on fortnite didn't give you perks). It seems like an interesting gamemode, but personally to me I feel like it would get somewhat boring.

I mean, yes, pvp is in the game which makes it a bit more exciting, but the pvp isn't the main aspect of the game. It's really just players going around a UHC-sized map trying to find orbs, which does not sound super fun to me.

One thing that could improve this would be to have some orbs that help in fights as well, as in they like do damage to the opponent when used. That would help make the fights more interesting and unique rather than just simple vanilla pvp.

All in all, I see ups and downs with this so I'll be a +0 for now. Have a good day!

Posted Jan 12, 2020
  14. Thank you all so much for the feedback! I know this game will never be known as more than this, but I'm glad that people have commented on it. Thanks!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 12, 2020
  15. 15-20 mins is way too long, has to be shorter, maybe like 5-8 mins

Posted Jan 12, 2020
  16. Thread Merged with other Orb Runners thead

If the game lasts 15-20 minutes with the border starting out at 5000x5000 that averages out to about 56 blocks of the border closing every second. Border definitely needs to be a lot smaller (and would thus move at a slower pace) if the entire game lasted 15-20 minutes. 15-20 minutes in itself is enough time to get prepared, but for an entire game that would be chaotic with whoever got full iron first. Multiple people have said above me that it is like UHC with the added feature of orbs, and that's really what the game seems to be. There's also no kit ideas to it, I would think a basic kit could be a kit that grants a passive bonus when picking up an orb (such as regen 1 for 2 minutes or something along the lines of that, if there was an orb of regen that would be overpowered). I don't want to take over your thread by making all of the kit ideas, so I'll let you come up with some if you want to. Overall, could be an interesting game but I think more players would rather have UHC added back and there's some missing info from this idea.

Posted Jan 13, 2020
  17. Hey! I just posted the orbs attributes so you can go check them out for yourself!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 15, 2020
  18. Thanks for the feedback! My thing with the kits is that I felt like the orbs represented the kits more than just regular ones, so I feel like i didn't need to add any. But I have posted the orbs attributes now so you can check them out!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 15, 2020
  19. How would you feel about this just becoming this a variation of Survival Games?

Posted Jan 15, 2020