• 2495 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11477 Players Online
  • 8982 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

New NANO Game Idea *Dodgeball*

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by jabomb, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Hey! I have a fun idea for a new NANO game and that would be dodgeball. It would be fairly simple, two teams, both on each side of the "court" and they throw snowballs at each other, you could start with three snowballs and receive one every 3 seconds, with a cap at 6 snowballs. The game would only last for two minutes because of trollers and to keep it in the flow of NANO. it would take two snowballs to kill a certain a person, and there will be no regeneration.

https://imgur.com/a/1Ip0le7

This is something I slapped together in a few minutes (yesterday) but it's a fairly simple example of a map. Let me know your thoughts and if you'd like to add anything, thanks!

Some edits from feedback:
    Cap of snowballs is now 4 and you only start with one snowball.

Posted Apr 3, 2020,
    Last edited Apr 4, 2020
    PhoenixSky likes this.
  2. Thread moved to New Game Discussion

This sounds quite similar to both Sploor and Snowball Trouble. What makes it different from these other games? It also seems a bit like turf wars. I really appreciate the idea, but I'm not sure it would be a novel and creative addition to NANO.​

Posted Apr 3, 2020
    Wiz2K likes this.
  3. Thanks for the response, what would make it different from sploor, is the objective. The objective in sploor is not to kill players, but to paint as many blocks you color as possible. Along with this you have a special ability to become a squid and this gives you speed and the ability to climb walls.

For snow trouble, you are in a much larger space/map instead of a court/arena. Along with this there are 1 hit kills, and it is solo. Along with this in snow trouble there is a different objective to get the most kills, in dodgeball you would work as a team to eliminate the other team.

As for it being similar to turf wars, I can say the exact same thing for NANO battle and Micro Batlle (they are almost identical). As for another example you did list snow trouble is One in the Quiver with no leap and with snowballs. Just the way I see it, thanks again for the response!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 3, 2020
  4. Hey!

I like this idea and it is a nice game idea for Nano. I have some feedback though and some changes that could potentially improve it. One team would be red and one team should be blue since they are against each other and red and blue are two colors that are mainly used to be against one another. Instead of starting with three snowballs, I think it would be better to start off with one and then you get another one every 3 seconds (like you said) but the cap is at 3. This makes it to where players can't just save up to six snowballs then easily get someone out by throwing all of them at that one person. It would even be better to make the cap 2 and you get one every 2.5 seconds or still 3. Also I think instead of it taking two snowballs to kill a person, it should be like normal dodgeball and take one. But I'm fine with two if that is the case. One more thing, I think the game should last a little longer.

Overall, I like the game idea and possibly with my ideas for it, it would make it better. So because of that, I give this a +1

Posted Apr 3, 2020
    Unknitsun and xGetRekted like this.
  5. I really like this idea, I think it would be a cool, fast-paced and fun addition to Nano. By itself, the game has a lot of potential for variation within it. I think it could be kind of cool to make powerups, such as effects that last 3-5 seconds like speed, jump boost or invisibility. I'm not too sure on the length just because it could be really overpowered depending on the effect the power-up gave. For example, having invisibility for 5 seconds could defienelty be unfair/overpowered. Maybe making it so each power up has a different duration to balance the game would be a solution to that. Additionally, as @ItsFree said, I would agree with lowering the cap to make sure you can't just save up snowballs and kill 3 players really fast. Lastly, I assume the team with the most kills wins, maybe having an achievement for getting like 15-20 kills in one game would be kind of fun to work towards or like 200 kills overall in the game. Thanks and interesting idea!

Posted Apr 3, 2020
    ItsFree likes this.
  6. This is a good idea but I think people would die way to fast and it would be fair

Posted Apr 4, 2020
  7. You could say the same thing for turf wars, and some things were just changed so that players wouldn't die too quickly and it would be more balanced!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 4, 2020
  8. True, maybe after the first hit the player gets a 3 second shield so they cant get like obliterated in an instant...

Posted Apr 5, 2020
  9. Sploor is way to similar to paintball in that sense.

Posted Apr 5, 2020
  10. I love this idea. This sounds like a Mixed Arcade game that I would absolutely love to play quite a lot. On paper, It sounds like the game would be pretty balanced, while also not being over-complicated. It seems like a good recipe for a successful Mixed Arcade game mode! If a game similar to this concept were introduced, I think that it would be an instant success. (At least for me)

:mineplex:

Posted Apr 5, 2020
  11. I like this idea but like @Dulciloquy it is similar to some other games that are in NANO games. Now I love the idea and would like to see it added into NANO games eventually. The only issue is I think you need to add a bit more information and cool ideas. Maybe as time goes on the map will shrink, or you can incorporate some way to catch the snowball and get a teammate back in. I know that would take a lot of work, but if you could think of more ideas I think it would be even more fun!

Posted Apr 5, 2020
  12. I feel like this game could be interesting if it had a rework. Maybe instead of snowballs, we could have people receive fire charges every 2-6 was seconds, and when you right click the fire charge, it will make a fire blast like the ability in Champions, and people can either dodge it or maybe even deflect it back.This will make is more unique than like people were saying that it is a replica of snowball. Maybe you could even add basketball hoops and have people earn a slime every minute, and if the person hits the basket, then either their team would win, or some other reward. That is currently my idea to make it more of a dodgeball with a noticeable entity when you right click the fire charge. The fire blast would obviously be much quicker than the one in champions, but that is my idea for rework. A lot of other ideas that I had about this game are literally in snowball fight, so unlucky. Anyways, I think this game could be more unique if it had concepts much different from snowball fight.

Posted Apr 7, 2020
  13. Isn't this just Snowball Trouble? They have the same general ideas, you doge the incoming snowballs. I don't think Mineplex will be adding a replica under a different name. Maybe if you changed it around a bit and added some unique features, it could be possible.

Posted Apr 7, 2020
  14. Hey!
    I like the idea, it sounds fun and sounds like it could fit well in Nano. However, I have the same question as a few others, what makes this game different? I feel like you need to add some factors to make this game unique. As others mentioned, adding some sort of boosts and power-ups could make this really fun and interesting. Maybe some ideas could be like a machine gun type of thing, a shield, the fire blast that Wiz2k mentioned, if it's a smaller sized fire blast. So there's a few ideas I had off the top of my head, with the help of some of the other people who replied.
    Anyways, I do like the general game idea, and I think I'd have a lot of fun playing this game. I just believe it's too similar to others, and could use something to make the game it's own, make it unique.

Posted Apr 7, 2020