• 1019 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 5699 Players Online
  • 4680 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

New Nanogame Idea

Discussion in 'New Game Discussion' started by MCplayer590, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Sheep Tag:

50 sheep spawn in the play area, all spread out. 49 more spawn in slowly as the game goes on.

Each player will have dye of their team color, and the goal is to color as many sheep as possible. There can be 2 modes: Keep and Free-for-all. Keep means that as soon as a sheep is dyed, it gets teleported out of the area so it cannot be stolen back. Free-for-all means that as soon as all 99 sheep are dyed, the game ends, but you can steal sheep from the other team until that happens.

There should also be the standard bow and sword so you can kill opponents (I think a 10-second cooldown would be good because it really doesn't take long to dye a lot of sheep).

I also think that there should be a "Master Sheep" that is worth the equivalent of 3 sheep. Maybe have it named so that it is instantly recognizable.

Posted Mar 28, 2020
    Wrappingz and Calverin like this.
  2. This is a really interesting starting concept, and I would be interested in seeing something similar implemented, however there are a few things I have issues with in the initial idea. For starters, in a mode like Nano Games a singular game having two modes seems unnecessary as it would make the likelihood of that gaming occurring become twice as much as any other game. I also feel like "Keep" would be too simple of a concept and lack strategy, so in my opinion only one mode should be made-- the Free-for-All that you proposed. "Keep" is also a bit similar to the "Slime Territory" game, whereas Free-for-All would not have as much similarity.

Further, I think a more interesting and strategic way to play would be with a time limit as opposed to the game ending once all of the sheep are dyed. If the game ended when all sheep were dyed, there would be a lack of defensive strategy as opposed to just dyeing as many sheep as fast as you can, because as long as there were more sheep to dye, you would only ever lose at a 1:1 ratio and with more than two teams the odds that it will be 100% your sheep re-dyed are low. Thus, I think the game should instead end after two minutes, giving time for all of the sheep to be dyed and then an added small period with a sole focus on defending your dyed sheep if you're in the lead, or dyeing the sheep of the lead if you are behind.

As for killing, I don't think it should be a part of this gamemode-- I just don't see it fitting in with the potential meta.

Overall, this is a starting idea that I am really interested in, but would like to see more development of the idea before you take it to the official ideas discussion boards!

Posted Mar 28, 2020
  3. This is a lovely concept and has a lot of potential for an excellent game on NANO on Mineplex.

So I think that what @Loofii is saying is completely sensible - this needs more development. There seems to be a lack in strategy and depth to the idea especially in the 'Keep Gamemode' idea, which is where the dyed sheep will simply be saved. I think that while this game is a nice idea and dying things really haven't been used anywhere else on Mineplex, it needs more too it. Sure a NANO game isn't actually that varied in depth and is quite simple to understand and grasp but I just think that dying sheep will be too basic but then again that's just my opinion.

With development on this idea, and a bit of work done on it, it absolutely can become a game on Mineplex and that's why I'd give it a +1.​

Posted Mar 28, 2020
  4. This sounds similar to sheep quest, but that is okay since many NANO games are similar to regular Arcade Games.

I think that attacking players should be necessary but if everyone is running around dying sheep, it would be pretty difficult to maintain a fair way of defending your sheep from being dyed. My solution is simple: players spawn in with one dye in order to dye only one sheep. To get more dyes without respawning, players must defeat other players. Defeating a player gives a player another dye in their inventory and the dyes stack for every kill until the player carrying them respawn.

Posted Mar 28, 2020,
    Last edited Mar 29, 2020
    Calverin and Loofii like this.
  5. I'd say this seems like a good game idea, something I might want to add is the ability to lure sheep (with wheat or a lead) back to a safe area/areas. Sheep here would be safe from being dyed, and I think only a few sheep should be lead able at a given time. This could lead to multiple game strategies, either rapidly dying sheep or luring dyed sheep back to safety.

Posted Mar 28, 2020
  6. @LordOfTeeth this would be very similar to Sheep Quest then. I think that this game has potential, but less sheep to make it harder. It could also be a solo, that would be harder but more interesting. If that is the case, then making safe spots would be helpful. You should have your sheep on a leash, and other players can remove it, or kill you and gain all your sheep. Removing the leash could take 3-5 seconds.

Posted Apr 2, 2020
  7. I think this added complexity (and more similarity to Sheep Quest) goes against the nature of Nano Games. The rapid, simple-style games fit in more with Nano, and, as such, I think that there needn't be any extra complexity of safe zones or leashes. I also think it is necessary that this game would be a team game, because Minecraft only has 16 colors, and thus a solo mode would not support more than 15 players (fifteen because with 16 colors, the sheep must have a default color to start with (white)).

Posted Apr 2, 2020
    Calverin and AltJawga like this.
  8. Short response: I like the idea, the free-for-all mode should be the only mode, I don't think there should be pvp in this game, I dislike the master sheep, there should be a time limit, and it has to be a team game.

Longer response: Most of my points have already been brought up in the thread, but I agree with them. This game has potential, but needs to be changed a bit to really be a good nano game. I don't think the game needs pvp. I think this game would work best as a short game with a one minute or two minute time limit where everyone tries to dye as many sheep as possible. I think the game should start with 100 sheep, and not add any more as the game goes on. I feel the master sheep would add more mechanics to this game that are not needed. As pointed out earlier in the thread, this wouldn't be possible as a solo game, so I think it should be duos. If you're in a party it would pair you with a party member, if you're not in a party it could just select at random.

I think the free-for-all game could be a fun and fast game that doesn't require a lot of strategy, which in my opinion suits nano games perfectly. +1 if tweaked.

Posted Apr 2, 2020
  9. I understand why you do not want PvP, but PvP will make the game much more fun. You would be able to steal sheep- and kill their owners. It would be faster paced, and more exciting. Brilliant game concept!

Posted Apr 4, 2020
  10. OK, so after reading everyone's opinion, here is my proposal:

• 1 gamemode: the free-for-all as mentioned above.
    • You start with 3 dye and you can kill players to get 2 dye or assist to get 1. If you kill a player with dye in their inventory, you get the same amount but for your color.
    • The game ends in 2 minutes with all un-dyed sheep not being counted.
    • You can lure sheep with wheat or leads. They can be sent back to various points on the map (holding pens) where they will stay until someone comes close to them. I think it would be a great strategy game to figure out whether to dye sheep, defend existing ones via killing others or defending via pulling sheep to safe areas. You also have to manage to keep sheep safe without going close to them yourself.
    • Killing someone leading a sheep will make the sheep your color.
    Thank you all for supporting this game. As many of you have said, with a little tweaking of this game we could make it work!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 10, 2020
  11. Overall, I think this is a really great idea. I really like the idea of having a game where you have to dye sheep and make sure that they stay dyed your colour, and I think your new additions to the game like wheat, leads and safe areas really bring more strategy to the game and pull the whole thing together.

One thing is, I'm not really sure about the whole starting with 3 dye then gaining dye by killing players. I think there should be a PvP aspect to this game, but I don't think it should be so dominant that you have to kill players in order to obtain the dye. I think you should automatically gain 1 dye every few seconds (maybe every 2 or 3?) and then gain an additional dye every time that you dye a sheep. This means that the PvP aspect of the game is only used to defend sheep in safe areas or convert a sheep from from the opposite colour to your colour.

But, this is definitely a great idea and I think most of your new ideas would work really well, so I'll be giving this a +1.

Posted Apr 10, 2020
    MCplayer590 likes this.
  12. OK then. That sounds better than pvp anyway. I'm not that good at pvp myself but most games on here involve pvp in some way so I thought I'd include it. Making it based on time is a great idea.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Apr 11, 2020
  13. Heyo!

This seems like an overall good concept; I have played this game before (not as an official gamemode) and it can be fun so I am in support of this being a NANO game.

One thing is that I don't think there needs to be two modes, as that would just be confusing as a NANO game and also there is no waiting lobby for NANO, so there wouldn't be a way to vote on which mode to play or anything like that so I think it would be better to just stick with one mode.

Overall I approve of the idea and think it would be a fun addition, definitely having a small time-limit if it is free-for-all so the game doesn't go on forever, which would contradict the point of NANO games.

Thanks for suggesting and have a good one!

Posted Apr 11, 2020
    MCplayer590 likes this.
  14. I actually really think this would be an interesting game for NANO Games as it is fairly quick and would seem to blend in fairly well in Nano Games. Personally, I prefer your free for all idea over the keep idea because it would be more intense and competitive with people being able to steal sheep that you already own! Anyway, good thread and would be cool to see something similar to this, maybe even in Mixed Arcade!

Posted Apr 23, 2020