• 781 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11967 Players Online
  • 11186 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Pirate Island: Map Improvement Discussion

Discussion in 'Block Hunt' started by TheAule, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Hey yall im currently looking at pirate island and would like to know what things people think could be done to improve the map.

Examples of things ive already been told:
    - make it so people can get back to the boat easier
    - move the back island closer
    - add a full body to the whale tail in the water.

For some reason this image is super small. Click its link: Pirate_Island.png to view full size. (or just click the image, as i just found out lmao)
    [​IMG]

Posted Sep 14, 2018
  2. Okay I honestly didn't realize that was a whale tail until you said something. Due to that, I think it could possibly be re-done so I can tell it's a whale without needing a double-take (or I'm just blind. That could always be a factor).

Relook: So I went in-game on my MPS to maybe see the whale more in-depth. Your image was an older version so now I actually see what you were talking about. http://prntscr.com/kui72y - I definitely still agree with your opinion though; it could most certainly use more detail and maybe even a full body attached to it.

Another aspect of the map that could be changed is the bedrock that is under the water. Using sand, sandstone, gravel, etc could possible give the ocean more depth and colour. There could be some other reason bedrock was the desired block used but I'm not particularly sure why.

The only other thing that I could think about changing was this little island: https://prnt.sc/kui9ne - I'm not particularly sure what it's meant to be but I think it would look really cool if it could be used to add a more piratey theme to it. Like maybe a giant skull head or a huge treasure chest filled with gold; something to fit the whole pirate theme!

This is my all-time favourite map for Block Hunt as it's pretty old and a lot of memories come with it. So if it was to be spruced up, we should definitely keep the general feel of it so it doesn't look like a completely new map.

Posted Sep 14, 2018
    User_620 likes this.
  3. @Glitz

There used to be gallows on the back island, however they got removed when Mineplex partnered with Mojang (because it was ‘inappropriate’ or idk what). I do agree what’s on there now isn’t really Piraty.
    As for the ocean floor, I think it was made like this to prevent glitching. Since water related glitches are now patched, something could definitely done there. However it should be made TNT hunters proof, meaning no air gaps underneath.

—————————

As for the thread itself, you probably saw what I said in the Bh discord but it would be nice to see less ladders and more stairs as they aren’t really convenient for anyone when you want to navigate through the map.

Posted Sep 15, 2018
    TheAule likes this.
  4. Nothing strikes me as potentially detrimental to gameplay, other than the things you mentioned. But I do see some aesthetic things that could change.

- Greater variation in the sand and grass (i.e. add blocks in that break up the monotonous coloring).
    - More details in the water area, including variation in the seabed blocks. Could add more boats, animals, etc. They wouldn't necessarily be available as hiding spots.
    - More trees. It's kind of odd having the one oak tree in the center, but every other tree is a palm on the outskirts of the map.
    - Add more miscellaneous groups of blocks around the map for hiding purposes.
    - Maybe try adding some more elevation changes or terrain features, like a cascading river for example.

That's all I got for now.

Posted Sep 15, 2018
  5. Totally agree with both and i've already noted down the water stuff

Precisely correct ! people used to be able to get themselves stuck in the floor underwater, only having to pop up for air now and then. It was bad so every map got bedrock under every water source. I'm hoping to get that changed sooooon™

eeeeee my issue with this is that if the building wasnt made to have stairs, stairs are gonna look ugly as hecc and out of place. It's not rlly possible to add them without redoing major chunks of building, which is not the goal here

as for that back island and all sure why not I can ask for a piratey change

- im not sure why a desert island would have forests and rivers tbh. Also I cant really imagine where they would go that doesnt get in the way. I think the general terrain is alright and good as is.
    - Regarding the other blocks and water details, i've already marked those down.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 15, 2018
    FluteVegetables and Nicodami like this.
  6. @TheAule Well, a deserted island could have rivers. Oak forests, not so much. Which is why for aesthetics, you could just remove the oak tree and replace it with a palm.

Posted Sep 15, 2018
  7. it's not an oak forest its a single oak tree lovingly imported by the town residents and kept alive in the town centre. It's named Phil. why do u want to hurt phil :c

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 16, 2018
  8. I wish there was a map download. :\

Posted Oct 6, 2018