• 570 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9008 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Platform-Indicative Staff Tags

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by ClqssyOwl, May 29, 2019.

Tags:
?

Do you think Staff tags should be platform-indicative?

1. Yes; I think Staff tags should be platform-indicative.

17 vote(s)
    94.4%
  2. No; I do not think Staff tags should be platform-indicative.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. N/A; I do not care if Staff tags are platform-indicative.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Salutations, Mineplexians!​

My name is ClqssyOwl; some of you may know me as a staff member or as an active member of our community's forums platform. Lately, I've noticed that it can be difficult to determine where staff hold their ranks; sure, Bedrock staff have a "Bedrock" tag added as an addendum to their staff tags, but there's no differentiating "Java" tag; even more confusing, there's no way to tell which staff members hold their ranks on both platforms. My solution to this is simple: Modify existing staff tags to help differentiate which staff members work for which platform(s).

My inspiration began with the platform-indicative donor tags. For example:

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]
    (Bedrock vs. Java)

So, I thought, why couldn't Staff also have platform-indicative tags? I decided to demonstrate my idea to the forums with mockup concepts of the tags.
    For example:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The original staff tags. In keeping with the example set forth when comparing the donor ranks, these staff tags would be used as Mineplex Java tags.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My proposed revision of staff tags tailored to our Bedrock platform. In keeping with the example set forth when comparing the donor ranks, these revised staff tags would be used as Mineplex Bedrock staff tags.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    My proposed revision of staff tags, designed to be platform-neutral. These tags would not receive a platform indicator because it would be used exclusively by staff members holding the same rank between both platforms.
    I believe these revised staff tags would be easy to implement with their consistent changes and could be beneficial to players in that it could more easily distinguish staff based on what platform they work on. These changes could also easily be implemented on our Builder, Developer, Administrator, Leader, and Owner tags; additionally, removing the Mineplex "M" from Senior Moderator team tags would be simple and consistent within these proposed changes.

Eager to hear everyone's take on my proposed changes; please leave a response detailing your approval/disapproval and critiques of these concepts.

Posted May 29, 2019
    Enunciated, oeod, Oscaros_ and 9 others like this.
  2. Hello!

I really like this idea of making the tags platform indicative. This would help people easily tell what platform you play on. I think it can come in handy for people who are new or don’t really know how to identify the difference between Java and bedrock.

Posted May 29, 2019
    ClqssyOwl likes this.
  3. I think this is a great idea! I've thought about the additional "Bedrock" tag as well and thought it was redundant. Modifying the Bedrock staff tags would clear up any unnecessary confusion and would also keep things consistent with the Bedrock donor ranks. The only suggestion I have is that the platform-neutral tags look sort of bland without the platform indicators. This may potentially confuse newer players for determining a staff member's platform. As a result, I think cross-platform staff should receive their respective tags from both Java and Bedrock. Overall, this is definitely a nice concept that I'd like to see implemented!

Posted May 29, 2019,
    Last edited May 29, 2019
    ClqssyOwl likes this.
  4. Hey there,

I'm all for this idea. Not only does it make the positions and roles of our staff members more clear and concise, it also allows for a cleaner look to the forums. Nice thinking, and I appreciate the effort you put into showing us your idea!

Posted May 29, 2019
    ClqssyOwl likes this.
  5. Hey!

I see no reason for this not to be implemented, and in fact I was wondering about this for awhile. This could greatly improve the quality of life of staff members and also players seeking help.

I hand a +1 to you, and I hope it becomes part of the Mineplex forums!

Posted May 29, 2019
    ClqssyOwl likes this.
  6. I like this idea, it branches off of my idea of identifying which staff members are which on the staff page. I really like this idea and would love to this get implemented. Though it might be a little bit confusing at first I'm sure people would get used to it.

Posted May 29, 2019
    ClqssyOwl likes this.
  7. This is a concern I had when designing the tags; initially, I considered branding our Java tags with a Mineplex-style "J" and using the existing Mineplex "M" to indicate staff on both platforms, but that quickly proved complicated and didn't look very good, so I ended up scrapping it. Leader+ can most likely forego platform indicators as all of them hold ranks on both platforms. I don't want to give Trainee-Admin a tag for each rank per platform they hold because it only worsens the tag duopoly I'm trying to alleviate by compressing Bedrock & Staff Rank tags. Perhaps we can keep the indicator-less tag and instead implement a "Cross-Platform" tag; while that may only create yet another dual tag issue, it would much better convey the sentiment that 'yes, this staff member works for both platforms,' and it would be much less confusing and more concise than having an ambiguous no-platform tag, or a staff member containing two tags for the same rank because of different platforms.

Another idea I had was I could have reoriented the Mineplex "M" to lean left instead of right on the tag and position it adjacent to the left wing on the tag with the Bedrock indicator still positioned on the right, sending the very clear message that a staff member holds that rank on both platforms.

That being said, staff members who hold different ranks on different platforms will certainly bear platform-indicative tags that represent which platform they hold which staff rank on.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted May 29, 2019
    AceSJus likes this.
  8. Heyo!

This is an awesome idea and I think it will help players identify what platform a staff member works on. Also, it will help with identifying Java and Bedrock ranks with these symbols. Great idea and I hope it gets implemented!

Posted May 30, 2019
  9. Hey there!
    I applaud you for this well thought of idea. It seems like a minor change but it can make all the difference. When I first joined the forums, it was quite confusing to identify which staff members were part of the Bedrock division and which ones were strictly focused on Java. This change can really help players looking to distinguish Bedrock staff members.

To add onto your idea, I'd like to see a change to the staff team list. There should be some sort of seperation of Bedrock and Java staff members. It is clear that most of the time, new players who seek the assistance of staff members go directly into mineplex.com/staff and try and find the first Trainee or Moderator they find. Instead of having one section specifically for all the Trainees, it would be easier to have two sections for Java Trainees and Bedrock Trainees as well as Java and Bedrock Moderators. It would really help distinguish staff memebers from each other. But then again it can get confusing for Senior Moderators but I'll leave that decision for later.
    EDIT: @January34 apparently already has a suggestion similar to this posted here.

Otherwise, great idea. I love simple changes that can seriously impact the overall quality and look of not only the website but the treatment recieved for other players. Good job, Owl!

Posted May 30, 2019,
    Last edited May 30, 2019
    ClqssyOwl and wOeuf // xOeuf like this.
  10. Hey!

This would be awesome to implement, because it will really help a lot of players, including me. Though I must agree with @Tours for updating the staff list. It will look neat, and will be much more distinguishable for people who want to see who moderates on their platform. A +1 from me, and I must thank you for the effort you've put into this.

Posted May 30, 2019
    ClqssyOwl and Tours like this.
  11. This is I’m surprised I never noticed, or knew we needed. The current state or staff tags are quite awkward as it is, the Trainee tag is the Java one with the exception of a random tag that says Bedrock. I never realized how this doesn’t make sense, and there’s an easy solution- what you proposed. Even your said suggestions for both the staff and donator tags make sense and are far cleaner than before.

I also enjoy @Tours idea to have sort of a revamp to the staff list. It’s semi organized as it is, but classification between Bedrock and Java staff members is something we need. It allows us to see who is who, and what members belong to what platform. +1 from me, for sure.

Posted May 30, 2019
    ClqssyOwl and Tours like this.
  12. Great idea!

It's easy to get very confused with all the different tags. Staff members on both platforms tend to receive a lot of questions about which rank they are on each platform and even I find it confusing sometimes. There are a lot of tags and so I think this is a great way to simplify it a bit more. It's interesting to think about how a simple icon change can make a big difference. I really like the fact that it can be used for multiple different ranks and not just moderator ones.

Posted May 30, 2019
    ClqssyOwl likes this.
  13. So I actually made a suggestion regarding this idea maybe a week ago. If you wish to view it you can see it here.

Posted May 30, 2019
    ClqssyOwl likes this.
  14. Hey, completely missed it. Didn't know at all that there already was a suggestion. I'll be sure to check it out asap! I added in an edit to my original post with a link directing to your suggestion.

Posted May 30, 2019
  15. Hey,
    This really is a good idea. It helps remove some confusion as to which players moderate which server. This allows newer players to get help faster, and seek out the relevant staff needed depending on which platform they play. I'm also down for the suggestion that @Tours gave - it might be a nice idea to separate Java from Bedrock on the staff page in order to, again, make things clearer for new players.
    +1 <3

Posted May 30, 2019
    ClqssyOwl likes this.
  16. Hey!

I really like this idea! It differentiates the people who moderate on Bedrock vs those on Java because it can be confusing to determine which version the staff member plays on. In addition, it can't hurt anyone to do so. It's a great idea and I hope to see it put in place!

Posted May 30, 2019
    ClqssyOwl likes this.
  17. Heyo!

Love this idea! If this idea does get implanted which I hope it does, this will clear up a lot of confusion for both Bedrock and Java players.The staff tags that you provided yourself, look great, and it'll definitely show players the difference between Java and Bedrock staff members. Also, like @Tours said, maybe on the staff page it'll be cool separate Bedrock and Java staff members.

Overall, huge +1 to this idea! Great idea, keep up the amazing suggestions!

Posted May 30, 2019
    Unfavorited and ClqssyOwl like this.
  18. Yo,

I have to say, I am certainly a fan of making the staff tags much easier to read by getting rid of a 'Bedrock' tag and adding in a Bedrock logo before the staff tag itself. I feel like for the double platform staff, there is no point in making a brand new tag. There are only a small amount of staff members that have this privilege, therefore, it wouldn't really change much. Plus I agree that it makes the tags look blander and makes them more confusing, which is counterintuitive.

I do feel like while adding new tags and changing permissions may be complicated, it is certainly possible and something that Wanderer can accomplish in his goal to make the website as optimal as he possibly can. I will forward this to him and see what his take is on this idea. Thank you for posting this!​

Posted May 30, 2019
    Unfavorited, Wanderer and ClqssyOwl like this.
  19. I certainly wouldn't mind platform-indicative tags. To me, it will be much easier to read since this idea is getting rid of the Bedrock tag and is adding in a bedrock logo. There's no point in making a brand new tag - only a handful of staff members are staff members on both platforms. However, this idea would make differentiating which staff member is on what team way easier. I like @Tours' idea as well; I'd like to see separation of who is on the Bedrock staff team and who is on the Java staff team.

Posted May 31, 2019
    Tours, Unfavorited and ClqssyOwl like this.
  20. This is a really cool concept and I'm not opposed at all. It would make it look for clean and smooth and it would get rid of the extra "Bedrock tag" My only concern is adapting. Some players are used to seeing the Bedrock tag, and we also have to consider the fact that it is easy to spot. For bedrock staff, they would get a mobile device before their "Mod" or "Sr.Mod" and some users probably won't notice at first. I don't see a big issue with this though, because adapting is always a possibility but its just something to point out.

Nice idea, it seems you took a lot of time on this. +1 on the overall idea.

Posted May 31, 2019
    ClqssyOwl likes this.