• 646 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 11675 Players Online
  • 11029 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Player of the Month [POTM]

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by joerock777, Dec 9, 2018.

?

Do you like my idea?

1. I like the POTM idea

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. I don’t like the POTM idea

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  3. I like the POTY idea

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I don’t like the POTY award

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have listened to everyone’s ideas and the main issue currently is that people might fake it but the thing is if you were a trainee and you wanted to be promoted to a Moderator could there not be another small chance where they would fake their trials for the 2 months and when they become a Moderator they can be relaxed (I’m not saying it happens because all of the staff members are great!)

Another idea
    There should be a group of well known, honest (not fake) and non bias players to be able to nominate the new POTM and this concludes the problem of there being bias players voting for their friends. (Almost like a sub team)

Why should players get rewards and players don’t
    It is the staff’s job to take care of the community and I’m not trying to insult anyone here at all but since some players don’t see the need to help others out and only just play mini games etc, it’s a way to encourage players to help out the community even though they are not staff members

Possible idea
    Maybe since the issue of the “too many players to choose from” would be true maybe it would be a vote on someone who is in one of the community sub teams so that means they will not only just join a sub team for the sake of joining it what about the person who contributes the most of it gets the reward (I had this idea since there are less people in sub teams than people who are not and the options will be easier)

Another Example
    Let’s say you are a parent and you have a rewards chart for doing chores or being a good child and if you do more good stuff your child does good they will get a sticker on their chart and if they get 5 they get a treat or something.
    Would the parent give themselves a treat for already doing good things? I don’t think so

Give me your feedback on this! :D

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 9, 2018
  2. If a staff member is performing very poorly, they can be demoted at any point past their trial. You can still be relaxed while moderating - as long as your doing things effectively. I wouldn't say that you can 'fake' your trial for two months. Passing your trial doesn't mean you're spot on the staff team is safe - I don't believe that people go into their trial looking to achieve moderator and then to stop doing their best for the community.
    It's one thing to encourage others to help out the community but another to do it with the wrong intent. There are many players who will and do help out the community without needing motivation of a prize. In my opinion it's self rewarding - I felt like this before I became a staff member. If someones heart isn't in it and they're just doing it for a prize, their true intentions become pretty obvious.
    I don't think that this is a good analogy for the situation. This again links to the fact that there are simply so many community members which would make it extremely hard to keep track of. At the end of the day it would be nice to have 'treats' for those who are working hard for the community but it just doesn't seem possible when you look at the numbers we'd have to chose from.

Posted Dec 9, 2018
    skarm and Joiined like this.
  3. NEW SUGGESTIONS
    ——————————————————————————————————————————
    Extra Suggestion

What if players don’t know if the POTM is actually active (since it will happen every 2-3 months people don’t get notified that the POTM is up for taking).

There are waaaaaay too many people in the community how on earth would I choose some people?
    There will be a group of people (maybe 20 or less) who would be PMed by someone saying that they are part of a team to help look for the next POTM but no one will know about this and the 20 people cannot say that they are part of the “special team”. The team are chosen who are helpful in the community, not bias and does things for the sake of doing right things (so not wanting to do stuff for a prize). Then the team chooses a couple of players for the POTM who they think deserves it

They will also be spread out in game and on the forums so they can note down around 10-20 who might deserve it and then to stop people being bias on the team they will hand the notes down to staff members who will vote on a few people who deserves to get it and not only it could be people who deserve it because they do good for a month it could be other players who may deserve it even before POTM was a thing and you will know they have truly good hearts and only want to help people who need help just to make people happy.

What if people who actually deserve it doesn’t get it?
    If you don’t get it then someone else can tell a member that “this particular players deserves this because” etc
    You might be considered in the future for POTM and potentially POTY so if you don’t get one thing you might get the other

People might do it for the wrong intentions

Players won’t know they will get a prize when POTM is released and staff could say that you will just get a rank on your profile (a sub team rank not underneath your profile picture) even though you will get more rewards.
    ——————————————————————————————————————————

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 9, 2018
  4. Hey there! im going to have to disagree with this idea. If there was a POTM award the it would most likely turn into popularity contests which could easily cause drama on forums. The reason we have MOTM and SOTM is because they are awarded to staff who dedicate their time working in the mineplex community. Anyways take care now.
    ~Blaze the cat

Posted Dec 9, 2018
  5. If someone says they're part of a "special team," those players being PMd are definitely going to know what's going on. I'm pretty certain that sort of information would be leaked anyway. There's also no way to stop bias. If someone wants their friend to get it, they can tell them to act a certain way or post certain things so they have a higher chance of getting POTM.

This is something that will definitely get leaked.

This is a good idea in theory, but there are just a multitude of problems. Like with Quality Poster back in 2015, there are just too many issues. Bias is something you will never be able to get rid of, no matter what group of people you choose. Someone else will probably deserve it just as much as the person who gets it, which will lead to anger and frustration. People might also call it biased. There is no foolproof solution to making sure the person who deserves it the most is selected from the entire player base. There is just no way a group of 20 people can possibly scout one person out of thousands.

Posted Dec 9, 2018
  6. Hey!

I’ve seen similar threads like this before, and they just never seem to work. It’s good that you want to recognise hard working players in the community, but due to the sheer amount of players, I don’t think it’s possible. As other people have said, it would be biased. It’s not that players don’t see the hard working people (and that can be on the forums, in-game etc.) it’s just that a lot are deserving, and to me, it shouldn’t come down to popularity.

The concept is great, but wouldn’t work that smoothly, so, I’ll be giving a -1

Have a great day!

Posted Dec 9, 2018
  7. What exactly is the Qualtiy poster?

Is it a poster that is good or something?
    --- Post updated ---
    Guys, guys, guys

I have a solution to the bias situation

My idea is that the “special team” would choose up to 30 players they think who will deserve it then it will be forwarded to staff members who would be able to check on those 30 people and choose the winners.

Do any of you guys have any ideas or suggestions about how the bias issue could be solved and tell me more feedback here! :D

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 9, 2018
  8. I do see where you're coming from. However, I'll get into Quality Poster before I get into why I believe this shouldn't be added. I'd also like to add that while I love to give players more of a chance to bring themselves more into the community, I don't think a POTM would influence it.

Quality Poster was an award in 2015 provided to those with quality posts. As a result of it being biased among players, it was removed. This is basically a player of the week version of this idea.

Anyway, I'll delve straight into SOTM, MOTM, and how both those are decided. SOTM and MOTM are both decided by an admin or the moderator's mentor, depending on their rank. These people work closely with the recipient over a course of the time to see if they're really qualified for SOTM or MOTM. I'd also like to add that this isn't as easy with the community - the only people in my opinion that would be able to be 'observed' are the people in community sub-teams, but even that really isn't reliable.

Community members who would work in sub-teams might be great candidates sure - but there's a lot of community members in the community alone, and narrowing it to 20 would just be hard and seems like a sub-team. As for regards to players choosing who they will think they deserve, there's a lot of bias that could happen. Obviously, bias will always occur. It's something you can't get rid of. However, if it should - very unlikely..

Staff are chosen for SOTM and MOTM not because they are doing it for the role, but because they enjoy their job(s), and love Mineplex and the community. It's just an award to showcase your hard work, not one to impact your work. Admins choose SOTM out of the Sr.Mod teams. Choosing one out of thousands is harder - there's no way to keep track of who's in the community.

All in all, I'd just rather have people join community sub-teams to allow them to make an impact rather than get a tag on the forums that might or might not just be purely cosmetic.

Posted Dec 10, 2018,
    Last edited Dec 10, 2018
  9. You’re basically asking for an unneeded tag that gets showcased on the forums I assume. So far so good.

You also forget that you’re basically asking staff to go through multiple accounts, threads, comments, wall posts, anything on the forums for x number of players, just for a tag. And what do you personally gain out of it? A bit of ego but that’s about it.
    Absolutely unneeded, especially the whole “anti-biased jury” thing. That’s a big no. We don’t have too many staff at the moment, so let them focus on their tasks rather than creating more.

Also, I’m totally supporting those seeing the resemblance with Quality Poster, and it’s not something we really need to bring back. The post boosting, the monitoring before and after someone received the tag.. that’s just a no. It’s already a hassle to keep track of old MOTM and SOTM and make sure they don’t go wild after resignations and demotions, let alone adding that to players that don’t need to meet standards.

Honestly, that’s my biggest suggestion. If you wanna be relevant as a community member, there are several teams you can choose from depending on your skills, interests and dedication. All the community+ teams except for map testing are listed over here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DzRC2okB7-wCMTazjhJFvxszhqltWzQBBMuPTHjtXLo
    And if you are interested in applying for any of these, go for it to be honest (at least if apps are open), or even apply for staff if that’s your dream.
    But please, let’s not add a popularity contest to the server once again.

Posted Dec 11, 2018
    skarm and lili :) like this.
  10. This is a good idea, HOWEVER it would make other very awesome users feel inferior, and bad at forums so I over all think this should not be added. Sorry!
    --- Post updated ---
    POTY MAYBE but for the same reason it might not be such a great idea.
    --- Post updated ---
    PRECISELY my point

Posted Dec 11, 2018
  11. I understand where you are coming from @coralines but I had a better idea which is that there might be another sub team created so you can nominate some people for the POTM (people won’t know you are being watched by community player not staff) this stops players acting on their best behaviour when staff come around

People can say if they are part of the team?
    But no they would be banned from the team, there would be more than 1 person watching because not everyone are best friends with everyone.

What happens after they nominate the people?

I’m not asking any staff to check on people constantly I’m only asking staff to look at the 50 IGN’s and see in their opinion on which person has been most helpful to the community from the staff’s perspective (and if staff have free time they can do /v)
    If staff don’t have enough time to check, that’s fine, people from community sub teams such as GI, IT and more can help with the decision (don’t forget that not everyone in the community are best friends with everyone)

The staff (or any other sub team) can decide on who to have for the POTM (maybe 10 or so)

POTY COULD POSSIBLY BE VOTED BY STAFF NOT PLAYERS TO STOP BIAS

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 11, 2018
  12. Hey!

I have seen this idea and similar ideas mentioned before on the forums and there are many reasons to go against this idea yet there also good points, however, I definitely think this would create too many issues to be introduced as there is no solid solution to the issues such as voting and who would get it.

Giving this decision to staff would definitely not fix this issue as I have friends on the staff team that could easily vote me which again, ends up in a bias decision and wouldn't be very fair.

Also, there are many community members who spread positivity and follow the rules and may deserve this reward more than others and it could definitely cause controversy if the community disagrees with the decision and people may be angry or upset that they didn't receive the award after trying very hard to be helpful.

And once again, this idea just seems unnecessary (at least for now). I am sure if a community member is being very helpful, spreading positivity and following the rules then they will be recommended for the staff team and a reward such as POTM is just not required.

However, you have thought this idea out amazingly and actively respond to the points against this idea and I think you have done an amazing job with this thread. It's very considerate of you to consider the community and that you are thinking of ways for the community to be rewarded so well done with that!

Posted Dec 11, 2018
    Zipppo likes this.
  13. I feel like something like this would rather fit within the staff Oscars system that's done yearly. I don't have much to add about the implementation of a tag such as this, that's already pretty much been covered and I agree with it being too much of a hassle. However, some sort of implementation into the staff Oscars might work? I'm not quite sure how that system works/if we're still doing it, though.

Posted Dec 11, 2018
  14. I think if you added in a player of the month this would cause many arguments and could get backlash from different people, however I do see a plus to this as in it may make people more active on the server as they will want to get this.

Posted Dec 11, 2018
  15. Guys I have noticed that you guys are confused about the tag on the forums

I’m not saying it will be underneath your rank when you post something,
    I’m saying it should be in the Sub-Teams area

https://imgur.com/a/NxwdICR This is what the rank would look like here, look at it and give me your thoughts on this!

Everyone,

I noticed that people may not be towards to idea so much but it should be implemented for at least a small bit and even though people may only try for the reward it’s better than people not trying at all!

Who agrees?

OP OP
  16. Overall this sounds like a nice idea and a nice system. It will encourage players and other members to go out of their way to help which in turn reduces the workload of the staff team and increases the community happiness, as we obviously cannot be everywhere. Although, there are 2 key flaws to this.

1: there can be bias & controversy, I feel like this may do more harm than good in a sense. It will probably make people who don't get the award think that the judge gave it because they liked/preferred the person or they didn't see the whole player base properly, bare in mind with a 2000-3000 at good times steady player count.

2: this will add too much work and be too much to maintain. It will simply be too much of a hassle and an issue for the team to maintain who is getting the award, and also managing it each month. This will take an awful lot of time to do and it will also result in lost development & productivity time.

Weighing up these 2 reasons against the argument, I, unfortunately, disagree with adding it.​

Posted Dec 11, 2018
  17. Hey @Oscaros_ ,

1: bias and controversy
    I agree with this one but I have a minor solution which is that the player will have to work harder and the reason the player doesn’t get it maybe doesn’t help enough unless if you really think you deserve it you should ask someone to monitor you (catch: The person you ask to monitor doesn’t actually monitor you but it’s someone else because this will stop players being on their best behaviour only when the player you PM to monitor you actually does (if you get what I mean)

Too much work to maintain
    I was thinking about that myself as we are all human beings,
    Maybe have it every 2 or 3 months or have a player of the year award instead of POTM?

I hope I answered your problems there so tell me what you think of them!

OP OP
    Oscaros_ likes this.
  18. I apologize in advance because I'm not going to read too many of the replies before mine. I've seen this idea buzzing around the forums and the Discord, and I would very much like to add my input.

I have to say I disagree with this whole idea. I understand completely on where you're coming from, and I'm really impressed with your dedication to get some community recognition. However, I think this is the wrong way to go about it. This would be too much of a mess, and a whole bunch of other negatives, but I'll jump into the main highlights so I don't bore you to death.

I think my main problem is having staff members handle it, but I don't think anyone else could. This isn't because the staff team isn't trustworthy, no, no, no. I just don't think it could be organized and seen out well. For the most part, we must take into account the amount of dedicated players we have. There is simply not enough time for every staff member who can cast a vote to be able to recognize every player who might deserve this title. We all know different community members, some of us none at all, so nothing would be balanced. It would be insane, and impossible, to expect all staff members to know each and every community member to be able to judge this reward fairly. On the staff team, it is the mentors and Sr. Mod team leads to decide who qualify for MOTM and SOTM. We watch the people who are under us to get a closer look on how they're doing and help decide if they're deserving enough for MOTM/SOTM. Even with just the staff team, we still have a large range of staff members to pick from. I can't imagine picking from the whole community. It doesn't matter how many people you have helping out, it's still a task that I see as too large.

I do rather like @Islendingurinn's suggestion of putting this with the Mineplex Oscars. It would fit more nicely and would have the whole community helping out, rather than putting people up to an impossible task. While I do recognize the Mineplex Oscars as a bit more popularity-based, it would be easier to maintain and what you purpose here.

Again, I love the idea, but I don't think it could be maintained well at all, no matter what you try to purpose. If you have anything to help battle what I brought forward, I'd love to hear it. If you somehow do that, I can bring more of my critiques forward.

Posted Dec 13, 2018
    Joiined likes this.
  19. To prevent people from just doing good stiff for prizes there could be a voting on it by staff members and mods on who they think should have it and they look at who has done helpful things

Posted Dec 13, 2018
  20. It's likely to be a major popularity contest, just like the current Oscars. It won't base truly on dedication by members.

Posted Dec 13, 2018
    Fall and Islendingurinn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.