• 898 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9336 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion [Recruitment] Account Ownership

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by RobbiinK, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Summary
    If at some point during the application process the fact that the player "bought" the Minecraft account they're using to apply for Trainee on, should that username be allowed to become staff since the player applying doesn't really own that account?

Background information
    A lot of people have been buying Minecraft accounts from others, so I want to put out a warning for anyone considering this. While it's an interesting way to make a little money, it's completely against Mojang's EULA. I encourage you to read the whole thing here:
    https://account.mojang.com/documents/minecraft_eula

The one major rule is that you must not distribute anything we've made unless we specifically agree to it. By "distribute anything we've made" what we mean is:

give copies of our Game to anyone else;
    make commercial use of anything we've made;
    try to make money from anything we've made; or
    let other people get access to anything we've made in a way that is unfair or unreasonable;

Unless we specifically agree to it. And so that we are crystal clear, "the Game" or "what we have made" includes, but is not limited to, the client or the server software for our Game and includes Minecraft and Minecraft: Java Edition on all platforms. It also includes updates, patches, downloadable content, add-ons, or modified versions of a Game, part of those things, or anything else we've made.

At the end of the day, I don't care what you do with your accounts, just be aware of the risks.

What does this mean for people "buying" accounts?
    In Mojangs eyes Minecraft accounts are not transferable, the original owner of the account will always be the owner of the account (no matter how much you paid someone to tell you otherwise). That means if you “ buy” an account from someone and that person wants their account back they can just contact Mojang with enough info they will honour this request and return the account to the original owner.

Think of it this way... you're not buying the account, you're simply paying to gain access to the login to a certain Minecraft account and the ability to change the password (and possibly the email)... The original owner can get his account back at any time.

What does this mean for Mineplex?
    If you want to become staff on a server it's just common sense that you need to have ownership of the Minecraft account you're using to apply with. If at any time, the fact that you don't have full ownership of the account you're using to apply to Trainee with, that should be a major concern for the recruitment team. Because as stated above giving a person money for their Minecraft account DOES NOT by any means transfer ownership of the said account. For obvious reasons, This presents a massive liability for Mineplex and at the end of the day, it's really common sense.

(I double-checked with recruitment and this is allowed. People can become staff on Minecraft accounts they do not have ownership of.

What should the recruitment team do if this happens?
    If Recruitment becomes aware that an applicant is applying using an account that they don't own, I see to options:

Revision Opportunity
    If the application wasn't already going to be denied for another reason (not detailed, lack of depth, poor interview, etc) Allow the applicant to change the username to an account they fully own (IE one they bought from https://minecraft.net) and continue the application process.

Automatic Denial
    Instant denial for applying on an account you do not own. This would mean the applicant would need to wait 2 weeks before applying again. The applicant may reuse the same application unless it was also denied due to something in the application in addition to applying on a Minecraft account you do not own.

@DeanTM Toki told me I should bring this issue up with you (I'd love to get your thoughts on it)

Posted Sep 11, 2019,
    Last edited Sep 11, 2019
    SpookVegetables, Xukuri, 24OO and 2 others like this.
  2. Hey!

I saw you talking about this in the cmp casual chat and I have to disagree with you. While I do understand your concerns and I know your reasoning is just for the best interest of the server, I think that the measures the recruitment team would have to take would be plain unnecessary. There are thousands of accounts being sold every hour and I don't think the owners of these accounts know or if they did know would even care enough about their account to try and get it back. The chances of a staff member who bought an account off someone else (a random person not a community member) having their account being taken back by the original owner is very slim. I also don't think that it matters too much, as people can easily lie about being theirs even if they bought it off of someone else with the chances of the lie being exposed practically being 0%. Overall, I like and understand the concern you have, but the odds are too low for a staff member or future staff member to have the account they bought from someone else taken back by the original owner. I've seen better responses to this and i'm sure someone will bring up better reasons than odds, but that would be my reason for denying this idea if I could. Thanks for the post!

Posted Sep 11, 2019
    RobbiinK likes this.
  3. I see where you're coming from, but it's really just common sense that you should own the account your using to apply for staff.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 11, 2019
  4. I would disagree, there might be a real life transaction or exchange that is made for someone's Minecraft account and the person who buys the account wouldn't 'technically' be the owner, but they would be the only person that uses the account. That person wouldn't be able to apply for staff because they don't own the account. (They change the email and password and do all that stuff) This is a really bad example, but I really do think this change would be really harsh and unnecessary for most people, and it wouldn't affect many future or current staff.

Posted Sep 11, 2019,
    Last edited Sep 11, 2019
  5. Like I said it's a huge risk you're talking because the original owner of the account can contact Mojang (with enough info) and they will return the account to him/her (the fact the email/password was changed doesn't mean anything).

I understand and am 100% ok with people willing to take on the risk of "buying" a Minecraft account illegally from someone (I say "buying" because you're not really buying anything). However, just because you're willing to take a risk by becoming staff on an account you don't own, doesn't mean the others around you (and in this case) Mineplex do. This thread isn't about whether or not you should buy Minecraft accounts.. It's about if Mineplex should require you to own a Minecraft account to become staff on their Minecraft Server.

It's a pretty simple answer in my opinion.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 11, 2019
    Animalll and Sakeusi like this.
  6. I don’t think this has ever occurred to me! I mean, I guess it wouldn’t have been an issue for me, as I own my account. That is probably part of the reason I never thought about this, but regardless, I do think this is a potential problem. Applicants that don’t completely own their account, could end up losing it at anytime, putting the server at risk of a compromised staff account. Yes, the chances are slim, but that’s not an excuse not to do something about these types of issues. I’m not sure what Dean thinks about this, but here are my thoughts I suppose!

Not only can potential/actual staff members lose access to these accounts, they could easily be putting the server in some sort of danger. Of course, it probably would be *that* big of a deal. Staff accounts have been compromised in the past, and very little damage was done. It’s still a problem though! What if an applicant is accepted and keeps access to their account for a few months only for them to lose it? Who would the account fall into the hands of? Would they abuse the permissions that account has? All these questions and concerns are connected to this, so I definitely think something should be done about this. You could argue that 2fa would work in these types of situations, but even that’s not 100% reliable. The chances are slim, but there is still a chance.

I’d definitely lean more towards the revision opportunity instead of an automatic denial course of action in these situations as well. Giving applicants a chance to fix this would be ideal, but seeing the current denial reasons, the recruitment team might just go with an automatic denial (I say this because if you change your name during the application process, that’s a denial). And of course, this could be seen as harsh or unnecessary, but sometimes that’s what it takes. Overall, I definitely think something could be done about this, but I guess we’ll see what recruitment thinks c:

Posted Sep 11, 2019
    RobbiinK likes this.
  7. How would we go about moderating something like this? We don't have access to know if people have full access to their accounts or not. I think the focus should be on the way we secure our staff accounts, and if someone's account does actually get reclaimed we've got systems in place to make sure the staff account isn't compromised.

Posted Sep 13, 2019
    RobbiinK, Lipsticks, Segwat and 3 others like this.
  8. Just adding onto what @Islendingurinn has said, even from a recruitment perspective, I think having an applicant prove that they are the 1st and only owner of the account would be a privacy concern. If we were to get all hypothetical about this, the amount of applications that would be submitted would most likely see a drastic downfall because of a question asking "please provide proof of account ownership". Additionally, I'm sure that even asking such a question would be a breach of EULA (i would think it would be against EULA).

The only real solution, well I guess it's more of a preventative measure, is to secure staff accounts with 2FA (2 factor authentication) to prevent such events in which the account is reclaimed.

Posted Sep 13, 2019
    Segwat and 24OO like this.
  9. I mean yeah, it isn't something you'd check for every account. What I mean is if during the application you find out that the person applying doesn't own the Minecraft account they're using to apply with (either by the interview, the applicants IGN is linked to another forums account (the original owner of the MC account).. You'd ask them to apply on an account they actually own

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 13, 2019
    24OO likes this.
  10. For that we'd have to add a question into our interviews about account ownership, which we could do, but I personally don't see the need for it. Your character needs to be linked to your forums account to apply, there's only been two(I think) cases where we don't follow that rule, so in a sense that's already something we keep an eye on.

Posted Sep 14, 2019