• 436 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3015 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Processed Remove off topic threads from new threads

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by KarmaCallama, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You think it is wrong to emphasize discussion about a server, on said server's forums?! I don't know why everyone thinks this is supposed to act like a social media site. It's not. If you want to make friends or interact as a community, that's great. Go and join events, or play in game. Check out the discord. Heck, make a group/sub-community or post stuff on your wall. But that's not, and shouldn't be, the focus of discussion on the forums. How the heck are we supposed to get LT to implement our ideas if 80% of them are getting drowned out by, to be frank, useless crap. The current system is heavily crippling the efficiency of the forums, and that needs to change.

Posted Oct 28, 2019,
    Last edited Oct 28, 2019
    Fall, ClassN, neropatti and 4 others like this.
  2. Hi!
    I think that the off-topic section should be kept because the forums shouldn't only be a place for serious discussion, fun is important too!
    Best,
    xFlattered

Posted Nov 2, 2019
  3. Hey!

Ace has pretty much said everything I would say! One thing I would add is the fact that some topics are better than other and maybe some should be still in new posts!

Posted Nov 2, 2019
  4. hia!

Personally, I would be find with removing them from the "New Posts" section of the forums. Overall, the goal of the forums is to bring the community closer together and offer a place for discussion between the members of this community. The Off-Topic section is there for when some members just want to talk about something that might to entirely be Minecraft/Mineplex related, but they still want to, and are able to, discuss it here with the community that they want. However, when a lot of people come to the forums, they look at the "New Posts" for threads that are being talked about at that time. I think that that is a place more for feedback and ideas rather than talking about something outside of the game itself. Because of these reasons, removing it might be the right thing to do in my opinion.

Posted Nov 2, 2019
    landay likes this.
  5. I never said the off topic section should be removed, just not in the new posts section. They would still be accessible if you go to the off topic section

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 2, 2019
    NothinButNetYT likes this.
  6. I agree with you, whilst it serves a great purpose of players not having to talk about Mineplex related content 24/7 on the forums, it can clutter the recent posts with things we don't really want to see. People come to the forums to talk about Mineplex, report players, apply for staff, suggest ideas, and yet their met with the recent posts menu full of things like "What gaming mouse do you use?", nothing against the OP or the post, it just isn't what players necessarily come to the forums for, so I believe it should just be removed as it serves no real purpose other than clutter the menu.
    +1

Posted Nov 3, 2019
  7. Heyyy

Unfortunately I’m going to have to disagree with this proposal for a couple of reasons. But before I begin I believe that Off-Topic posts never showed up on the Enjin forums’ New Threads. I always hated that it never showed them because they are what people in the community like to post on just to be themselves a bit more.

Leading nicely on from that, the Off-Topic section is a place for the community to come together and be their true authentic selves whilst chatting about something they’re passionate about. As a Staff member, I do post semi-frequently on the forums and it’s in a variety of sections; I won’t deny that the Off-Topic is my favourite one. I don’t exactly want to go hunting around to find these really interesting threads where I can learn more about people’s personalities. It just so happens that I reply to whatever post comes up on New Threads and it’s usually an Off-Topic post that seems the most interesting. I don’t look for things to post on and as I just said I really don’t want to either.

It brings the community together in a way other sections don’t. For example, right now this thread is looking for opinions only which could divide us. Server Discussion is just Mineplex related only. Recruitment threads (somewhere you never find me lol) and alike are all based around one topic. It’s minimising the creativity of the community in a way and if that’s the only sort of threads advertised in New Threads then don’t you think it’ll get quite repetitive and boring? Off-Topic brings spice and liveliness and a refreshing, random change to the forums which many players love!

I don’t think it should be removed from New Threads, however I do agree with this statement from Marzie:
    Whilst believing they shouldn’t be removed from New Threads, I do think Off-Topic posts shouldn’t get counted when it comes to a player’s post count. But neither should Forum Games, Surveys etc. If we’re going by the logic of lesser importance in threads, then surely Forum Games is and always has been below Off-Topic. They all can encourage post boosting a lot more than ones like Server Discussion, so yeah I understand the want to take away the post count entirely and I’m with that. But again, I don’t think any of the threads should be removed from New Threads. They all do deserve to be seen regardless, because they are what build the community on the forums.

Posted Nov 3, 2019
  8. Forum games already don't count for posts and aren't in the newest posts section, I made sure of that. :sigils:
    Surveys I have to disagree with here, there are actually some good things people do in the survey section and it has some good intakes with the polls/surveys there to create discussion. Whereas the off-topic section is just about random things like a facebook group/page would say/do, which is unnecessary for a forum that's here for discussions about Mineplex. The off-topic section is for literally mostly anything OTHER than Mineplex. "You can discuss anything else that is within our forums guidelines." Off-topic can still count for posts as we just removed the post leaderboard today and it wouldn't matter that much anymore.

If anything we should probably remove the "introductions" from the newest posts too.

Posted Nov 3, 2019
  9. I completely agree with this. These days, it's very difficult to find threads actually relating to Mineplex because of how many off-topic threads cover them up.

Because this is a forum relating to Mineplex, which is a Minecraft server, shouldn't the main focus of the posts be relating to Mineplex? However, off-topic seems to be in the spotlight on the latest posts section. Off-topic threads are relatively easy to write, and then buries posts that people spent hours working on.

Some people do like the off-topic section, and I have no problem with that. However, these people can just find all of the latest off-topic threads in the off-topic section, and this won't harm them at all really.
    --- Post updated ---
    I don't know about removing introductions from latest posts, it makes your introduction more visible and there definitely aren't as many of those as there are off-topic threads, and they don't really cause much clutter. One thing I would vouch for though is not allowing those posts on introduction threads to count for your post count, it's a very easy way to post boost; all you have to do is say hello and let them know that if they need any help with anything to DM you.

Posted Nov 3, 2019
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  10. I’ll have to give this a -1. I don’t get why we would do this.

Posted Nov 4, 2019
  11. Care to explain?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 5, 2019
    FluteVegetables and leo_thya like this.
  12. Try reading the OP or the replies then.

Posted Nov 5, 2019
    FluteVegetables and leo_thya like this.
  13. Oh sorry. I thought this meant remove off topic threads from the forums lol. Hmmmm. So I guess you’d get notifications from off topic threads your watching but I’ll still give this idea +0.5

Posted Nov 6, 2019
  14. We have 3 options currently.
    1. We can remove it from the newest post section (if approved by Jarv) and people can subscribe to the section itself
    2. We can incorporate a neat system that let's you pick and choose what to see in the newest post box. Unfortunately, this would take a very long time, but if it's wanted, and everyone is fine with holding on tight for a bit, we would be willing to add such a system. The off-topic section would not be removed from the newest post box.
    3. Completely leave this section alone.

I went ahead and set up a poll in our Discord in #website-feedback for these options, but you're free to tell us here too on what you would think/want.

Posted Dec 3, 2019
    SpitefulNick and Lila like this.
  15. Going to have to give this my personal -1.

The Off-Topic section is a completely valid section on the forums. By removing it from "New Posts" you will seriously reduce how much reach that place has. And to me, sections like Off-Topic are what help build the community around here.

I always hated that they didn't show those kind of posts on Enjin, because this is a forums. We're meant to discuss- AND have a bit of fun. This may be the Mineplex forums, but there's no reason it should exclusively be about Mineplex's Games. More than a server, this is a community, and the off-topic section has really helped that community grow closer on this new forums.

Removing it from New Posts would stop its growth, and I personally believe would have a heavily detrimental effect on the growth of a community. Doesn't seem worth the cost to me, just to be able to navigate "New Posts" a little easier.

- Fallen

Posted Dec 3, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  16. I fail to see how off topic threads like "what's your favorite food", "build community".

These kind of threads are similar to what you would find on the first day of school to get everyone to know eachother a bit better. But after that classes start going into the more important discussion. The fourms has a pretty small amount of active users so it ends up being the same people saying the same things over and over just to get a +1 on their post count. If a new person joins, that's what the introductions section is for.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 3, 2019
    Vocaloiid and Fallen like this.

17. Seems a bit cynical, no? Are these really post boosting attempts:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not trying to insult you or anything, but I don't think you have enough experience w/in the section of the forums to judge its merit (solely based on the vibe I got from your response). I often find there are a lot of insightful discussions on there, even if they don't have to do with the game. You also get to experience different viewpoints and share experiences, most recently coming to mind is @Look_Dan and the discussion I had with him about "dream vacations" and travelling.

Post boosting is something that exists mineplex-wide, doesn't seem fair to apply that specifically to Off-Topic, just because post boosting is "easier." Because trust me, if people want to get that shiny +1 post, they'll do it.

"If a new person joins, that's what the introductions section is for."
    Looking at this quote, it seems like your opinion is that the forums should be for discussion and that's it. Well, that's how a community dies really quickly. Enjin had walls, which kept our forums alive. People went onto Enjin for the community, and got hooked in the discussion. But it was a balance of both walls and forum posts that made that successful. On here, we've got a lot more moderation/censorship of walls, and wall posts have less reach. So it's up to the forums itself to foster that community. This is how we do it, whether intentional or not. Undermining it unintentionally undermines discussion in general, by further reducing the number of active users who may not share your POV, and come on here to have a bit of fun!

Let me know your thoughts, I'm really enjoying this discussion!
    - Fallen

Posted Dec 3, 2019
  18. I fail to see how prioritizing server oriented discussion is going to kill the community. It's great that you like to socialize, but thats what the other Mineplex platforms (discord, in-game) are for, not this one. Honestly, I would personally love to see the off topic section done away with altogether, but as it seems there is a sizable amount of people who like it, I think it's definitely a fair compromise to keep it as it's own section and out of latest posts.

Posted Dec 3, 2019,
    Last edited Dec 3, 2019
  19. The problem is the bulk of viewed threads are from "New Posts." Only a select few people will actually go to Off Topic to specifically view the threads there.

This platform is entirely based around discussion, and the entire purpose of Off Topic/Surveys/Forum Games is socialization.

When you foster a community around a platform, for example the one we have on the forums, your discussion also increases. People who come here for socialization and the group of people they've come to know also tend to post in discussions, boosting BOTH. If you get rid of the social aspect, this platform becomes nothing more than a chore, or somewhere to rant when you're unhappy. Thus, killing it. Definitely not entirely. You'll have a large number of people interacting. But the feel will not be the same.

Hyperbolizing a ton here, but you get the idea?

Not a compromise... Removing the section was never on the table, this is just taking away something.

- Fallen

One more thing. Addressing the OP, I don't believe this is actually as big an issue as has been stated.

[​IMG]

That totals to 7 threads on the side-bar, of the 20 that show by default. If you look at the timestamps, the closest ones aren't even in the same hour, most being a difference of 2-5 hours. In that time, discussion FILLS the side. Not sure the change is necessary.

Posted Dec 3, 2019
  20. Responses in bold.

Posted Dec 3, 2019
    Ender Rivka and FluteVegetables like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.