• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Server-lag for EU players?

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by Dan1el, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Hey everyone.

So I've been struggling with server-lag on Mineplex for a while now. Sometimes it was so bad that I couldn't really play anymore, so I had to take a break and see if I could fix it from my side of it. I found some things that I could improve both on my computer and network, and it helped, but I can still experience some server-lag from time to time.

How is it for you guys from the EU? Nowadays, I can get some server-lag from NANO Games. Maybe because it's a lot of players in the same spot, but sometimes it can be other places as well. Although it's not as bad as it was, and I can play fine now, it is still annoying to experience server-lag. So, I want to hear how you guys (From the EU) experience this, and maybe some tips and tricks. I have tried with and without an Internet Cable, but it doesn't seem to be that much as a difference. Maybe wireless Wi-Fi is the best one (surprisingly).

[​IMG]
    https://gyazo.com/c9707a143f4df2fd81898fec18a8a76a

But as you guys can see, I have over a 100 ms on Mineplex, and last time I checked, this is not really good. It's only 120ms on Mineplex, and not on any other server.

I have tried everything from my side, so I don't know what to do next. But as I said, I can live with it, it's just annoying from time to time.

Posted Jan 21, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 21, 2020
  2. Hihi

I experience lag on Mineplex a lot. So much so that I sometimes have to come offline while I'm half-way through doing something, so I definitely understand your pain here. I'm from the UK and my ping on Mineplex is always roughly around 130ms~ at any given time. I always get my worst lag when I am in Lobbies and have just spawned into the lobby/if I'm still stood on the spawn point.

A way I go about helping myself with this is by lowering my render distance, turning off fancy graphics and making sure that everything else display-wise that could lag me isn't doing so. It's a pain, yeah, but it does help me out quite a bit. This just helps with loading things in so you don't have to wait foreeeeever for large maps to load. Another thing I do is I make sure that I don't have Discord or Google Chrome or anything that I don't need open in the background. This helps my PC to not die while it's trying to deal with keeping me on the network. I got a new PC very recently and it's a huge upgrade from my old one, but my lag is still the same on the server and it's still always enhanced by unnecessary background apps running.

Posted Jan 21, 2020
    Dan1el, Im_Ken and Korben like this.
  3. Hey!

Im from the uk and i do see what you mean to, i have a lot of lag some times and i cant play. However i dont see it being a good idea them reopening EU. My suggestion to mineplex would be to open some eu clans servers on us since clans being a popular game mode i see that being a good idea

Posted Jan 21, 2020
  4. I'm from the UK and I usually get 100-130ms. But occasionally it goes up to like 500ms just due to my poor internet connection. If you're experiencing an unstable connection to the server, I'd recommend testing your internet speed online so you can see if that's what's causing the problem. If it is, the only way to solve it would be to upgrade your internet speed.

With that said, 120ms is still playable! As an SG player, I still manage to get on the weekly leaderboards with my ping.

Posted Jan 21, 2020
  5. From my experience, I had the server-lag in any particular lobby or any in-game servers. When I was in Italy for my last Spring vacation, I had a few spike lags when I'm on my laptop. I cannot play games because I need to have a better ping and internet speed together. If you want to optimize your internet connection, I suggest you reboot your router and modem at the same time to increase your speed. I'm not technically an IT guy so that I might be wrong, aha. If you're connected to your WiFi, try to move your PC or laptop to the closer range.

Hopefully, my suggestion will help you, and you can have a better in-game experience!

Posted Jan 21, 2020
  6. There isn't really anything you can do about lag from distance, personally I live across the country from the host servers so on a good day I get 100 ms but I usually get around 120 and on a bad day get as high as 600. I've looked into a lot of different things to solve it but as far as I know there isn't really any great solution other then getting faster internet.

Posted Jan 21, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 21, 2020
    LT Tombstone 77 likes this.
  7. Yeah that's about as good as it's gonna get for you unfortunately. There really isn't much you can do to heavily reduce ping when you live far away from the server host. I will say though 120ms doesn't even sound that bad to be honest, at least in comparison to my 250ms I get from Australia.

Posted Jan 21, 2020
    Korben likes this.

8. Thank you for the tips! I'm closing every tasks in the background as well

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 22, 2020
  9. Well the thing is, I have a good network, so I shouldn't be lagging, really.

OP OP

10. The thing is, I have quit a good internet. We recently got a new Zyxel-Router and everything, and I have great ping on other games, so I think the problem is that I'm too far away from Chicago :P. But it is playable, and I just wanted to see what you guys experience as well.

OP OP
    Korben likes this.
  11. Hey!

I’m typing this from my phone so I’m not sure where my ping usually averages, however, I can confirm that I experience a considerable amount of server lag while I’m playing Mineplex. Fortunately I’ve long since accepted that I just have to grin and bear it, and put in place whatever methods help to reduce it even if just by a fraction.

I highly recommend using OptiFine as it reduces the lag in general while playing Minecraft so it’s worth having it in multiplayer too. I know you’re referring to network lag but if you can minimise gameplay lag then it doesn’t seem half as bad and at least you only have one type of lag to focus rather than both. I tend to opt for less PvP-based games and more along the lines of Speed Builders, etc. where it doesn’t matter too much.

I hope you’re able to come up with your own ways, like I have to reduce lag even if it means altering your preferences slightly. The pros of the EU merge outweigh the cons so I don’t think this is the issue at hand.

Posted Jan 22, 2020

12. Thank you for the tip, although I have Optifine already. But yeah, it helps a lot for the lag! :)

OP OP
    WowCaleb likes this.
  13. Im from EU too and i get 230 ping

Posted Jan 26, 2020
  14. As the EU is a far distance from the US, it's understandable why you get some lag. Turn off anything in your settings that could be exacerbating your game performance and you should see a slight improvement. As an EU player, I also experience some lag and I find that turning off the settings that improve Minecraft's appearance give me some extra frames. I do struggle with ping lag, but it's not the end of the world as it's still playable.

Posted Jan 26, 2020
  15. Hey! You’re not alone, I experience a lot of lag on Mineplex, especially Java. Sometimes I can’t even fight the lag is so bad, or the game will freeze up on me. It’s probably just my WiFi, but I understand others are experiencing lag as well, so maybe not.

Posted Jan 26, 2020
  16. Heyo!

As you are from the EU high ping is expected as you are playing on a US server. I do experience quite a bit of lag and I definitely understand your frustration. Occasionally when I'm playing nano games my game tends to freeze for a bit, but I do think it's a mixture of living in the EU and having lots of people on my internet. As some have said above I'd highly suggest using Optifine if you are experiencing FPS lag. When I had a laptop I use to get around 15 fps and with Optifine installed I could reach 30 - 40 which solved a lot of my issues.

Posted Jan 26, 2020
  17. The server has always been a hell for Europeans ever since 2017 rolled and all the people rolled away from Mineplex. I'm already used to it.

Posted Jan 28, 2020