• 526 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2610 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Server time

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Korben2005, Oct 23, 2019.

?

Would this be useful?

1. Definantly good sir!

11.1%
  2. I guess it might be handy

22.2%
  3. There isnt a reason for this to be added

66.7%
  1. I think server time should be implemented on mineplex so people can coordinate better when they want to get on if there in different time regions or if someone dosnt want to give out there time region. It seems limd a small and simple chage that would be useful. You could also coordinate events better. It would have an option to show it in the corner of the screen in the /prefs menu so players could turn it off if they prefer. You could get the time with /time. It would start at 0:00 and would go to 24:00 after that it would go back to 0:00 =P
    Please tell me what you think =P

-Korben

Posted Oct 23, 2019,
    Last edited Oct 23, 2019
  2. hi!

I am not at all against this idea, but I simply do not think it needs to be a priority. To get on at the same time, all you need to do is ask for their timezone (or even just pick a random one) and convert it to your local one. Because of that, I do not think we need to prioritize it and make it a big deal that it needs to be here ASAP. However, it is a small and simple QoL change that I think could have a few benefits with it. The only downside I see to it would some players being confused as first as to why the "Server Time" is not the same as their local time, but that would just take some simple explanation.

Posted Oct 23, 2019
  3. I just thought it wouldn't be to hard to be added with the next update to mineplex as it dosnt seem like it would have a downside and seems like a quick easy change

Thanks for your feedback!

-Korben

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 23, 2019
  4. I mean a common time a lot of people use is EST, and they just convert it to their local time. I think that's a lot easier than adding a whole server time. It's a lot easier to find a common timezone and convert it per person. So -1 for this idea, but thank you for the suggestion.

Posted Oct 23, 2019
    Fall, Goudge ✦ and pokyvessel52506 like this.
  5. I understand, but doing that is inconvenient and I thought it would be a pretty easy thing to add in.

Thanks for your feedback!

-Korben

OP OP
  6. Hey,

For starters, I am mostly opposed to this idea but I definitely think there are some upsides. I don't really 'coordinate' with other players on the server to play and if I do it's usually over Discord. There are players from all over the world who use the server and adding this would confuse a ton of players initially and still confuse players outside of EST especially when they're wondering what the time is.

Another downside to this is that it uses military time. Considering there are some young players on the server who are from the United States, this could confuse them exponentially. Reading military time is confusing even for me (don't bully me) and takes a second to read and understand.

The last problem I see with this is that it would just be annoying. I know when the server time resets as I'm based in EST and can just look at my watch. Having this in the corner of my screen at all times would get really annoying. Maybe you could think about having this being an optional thing that one could change in the settings but even then it isn't really a priority and there isn't much of a need for it.

Overall, I'm gonna leave this with a -1 due to the reasons above, thanks for your suggestion though, and keep 'em coming!

Posted Oct 23, 2019
    pokyvessel52506 likes this.
  7. Military time goes as fast as an hour, so I dont really see the problem. There would be no need to convert time as that's the entire point of adding a server time. As for having it in the corner of the screen I did say that you can turn it off in /prefs. Also many people don't have discord so it dosnt apply to everyone, many people (myself included) are not in the eastern time zone though so many people cant look at there watch. I also did not say that this was super important but I thought it could be a useful change that wouldnt reauire much effort and dosnt have huge downsides. As for people being confused they can always ask for help and it wouldn't take long to explain it.

Thank you for your feedback!

-Korben

OP OP
  8. I don't find this idea necessary. Yes, a universal server time would allow players across different time zones to play at the same time. However, it's simple enough to coordinate a time with someone else by converting their time to your local time. Players would also be confused and would want to request the ability to change the time to match their own timezone, causing more problems. A unified "server time" would be a relatively simple feature to add, but I do not see the need for it because it is not difficult for players to counter time zone issues on their own.

Posted Oct 23, 2019
    pokyvessel52506 likes this.
  9. Thank you for your feedback!

OP OP
    pokyvessel52506 and AceSJus like this.
  10. Hey!
    This is almost exactly what I would say!
    Have a great day!

Posted Oct 23, 2019
    Korben2005 likes this.
  11. I really don't think this is necessarily, and I think it would cause more confusion and inconvenience surrounding coordinating with players in other timezones.

If I told a player I wanted to meet them at 17:00 server time, how would they go about figuring out what time that would be in their timezone? They would need to figure out the difference in hours between the two times, and make the conversion. In this sense, this would be exactly the same as simply naming a time and a real timezone, and converting it to your local time. However, it would be more confusing as players could not simply look up the time difference between the named timezone and their local time, as obviously "Mineplex time" would not be listed on conversion tools that many people use. I don't see how introducing a server time is really any different than just agreeing upon a timezone, such as EST/EDT, and converting it into your local time.

Posted Oct 23, 2019
    jxcb likes this.
  12. Why post if you have nothing to add? It just seems like an annoying way to get your post count up.
    As for the thread itself I it doesn't seem very helpful to add this as people can just figure out that EU is about 5-7 hours ahead of US EST and most AU players aren't even going to be on at US or EU times expect for on weekend mornings and friends should be able to coordinate stuff like that anyways.

Posted Oct 23, 2019
  13. I don't really see a need for this to be added. People could easily use EST or GMT then convert to their own timezone. Official events usually give the time they start in EST and GMT and I believe most players know their timezone relative to EST and GMT as most are from the US or EU. When making server time, we'd also have to choose one timezone anyway which would most likely be EST, GMT, or UTC, so players would have to know their own timezone relative to one of those anyway. Overall I just don't think this is necessary as players can coordinate with a timezone on their own. -1.

Posted Oct 26, 2019