• 1898 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6053 Players Online
  • 4155 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Sheep Buff+Style Rework

Discussion in 'Super Smash Mobs' started by Yeezus, May 23, 2019.

?

Would you prefer this sheep to be in the game over the current version?

1. Yeah bro these ideas are great

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Nope

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. We all know sheep is a problem. Sheep is terrible in every gameplay style other than running away and whittling them down. Even then, it's drastically underpowered. In other words, nobody likes playing against it, and since it loses most of its matchups, nobody wants to play it either. In my humble opinion, the best thing for the kit is to give it some large buffs while also trying to nerf some aspects of the kit in order to not buff the running style as well, hopefully making running stay stagnant in power or maybe get even worse while allowing sheep to go more aggressive, and also to increase its ranged capability.

Stats:
    Lower regen to 0.2- Yeah, we're off to a great start, giving it the worst regen in the game. Anyways, this is the biggest nerf to running, as in a long fight, now sheep should be brought down a lot since it needs to do MUCH more than trade damage in order to beat other kits such as, let's say, snowman, which can now take over 1.5x the damage it deals to sheep and win in the long run. This is meant to be the largest nerf to the hit-and-run playstyle sheep has.

Static Lazer:
    Halve knockback- This is the second straight nerf to arguably the worst kit in the game, and we haven't gotten to the buffs. I'm sorry. But this change is important, in order to still allow lazer to gimp efficiently and at low health require a recovery to get back, without flinging the opponent across the map, making approach impossible, yet again primarily as a nerf to the running playstyle.
    Lower cooldown from 7 -> 5 seconds- As the trade off for lower knockback, the lazer can be used more often, these 2 changes let it be a usable in-combat ability, getting in some damage while still allowing sheep to close the distance. On top of that, if sheep is losing a lot of knockback, I feel it should be traded for damage instead of speed.
    Double the range- This may be the most controversial change, however I feel that sheep does deserve to hold its ground against the other ranged kits. Right now, it feels like at long ranges, even wither skeleton can still duel it. I feel like allowing it to hit people at near-infinite range would be fair, since it'll be difficult to aim at that range and there's still a lot of cover, but it means that you can't camp out a sheep. Yet again, I'm trying to trade it's running style away, and preventing others from running away from sheep feels like a fair change to me. The ability is still predictable, and easy enough to duck away from, it just requires conscious thought from the opponent at all times instead of glancing at it, seeing it on a tree in skylands and not bothering because it can't hit 1/3 the map away.

Wool Mine:
    Sheep takes 50% self damage (down from 100)- Sheep mains have begged to be immune to the explosive for years, but let's be honest, that would just make running sheeps a nightmare. If the self damage was lowered a slight amount, it would allow sheep to detonate the mine in the faces of both it and the opponent, while it can't fly around with the wool mine since taking 2 hearts still is 20 seconds to regen with the proposed regen change, which is why I feel that giving sheep this heat-of-battle buff to let it be braver in the first place.
    Detonation delay reduced to 0.67 seconds (down from what seemed like 1)- Yet again, a change that lets sheep keep up with a faster-paced game. Being able to detonate the mine quicker helps get the damage in for a close quarters fight, and lets an opponent be caught off guard instead of wool mine only hitting people without recoveries or 50 win people without the reaction time or knowledge to dodge it.

Wooly Rocket:
    Collision effect lasts from the time of casting to the time it reconnects with the ground- Wooly Rocket at the moment cancels after the ascension or using an ability, which works for a runaway cheese kit, but not very well for a close range spacer, which is what I'm going for with this change. Sheep is a slow kit as it is, so it won't be able to aggressively use this ability unless the player's directly above them (same as old sheep), however it'll provide that defensive advantage it so desperately needs against spider and wolf by preventing them from touching it for two or three seconds.

Any questions or comments would be much appreciated for this mini-rework idea, thanks!

Posted May 23, 2019
  2. The only things I really agree with in this post are the fact that sheep is terrible, and that wool mine should have some sort of change to it in regards to the detonation delay.

All of these changes are here with the intention of making sheep more aggressive / less run - oriented but they fail to accomplish this through a lack of clear direction for the overall kit, or a lack of understanding of the kit as a whole.

What needs to be clear is that at the moment sheep is a spam-oriented sniper like class with abilities to keep people AWAY, and allow sheep to keep its space from opponents and continue dealing damage. However its flaws come from the fact that laser does not deal enough consistent DPS to be considered good in any way, and other ranged classes outshine it in both long range and close range. With the ability to completely cancel KB with a double jump or a recovery, static laser's KB pressure is extremely mitigated and probably the only thing the ability has going for it. (Long charge up, poor damage, not entirely useful KB unless you're keeping opponents away to set up for a wool mine). Sheep relies on Wool mine for damage, and baits opponents into a wool mine into potentially laser combo and then is forced to run because it cant easily challenge any other class in close combat or range without the help of its abilities (and even then as mentioned, its poor at doing that).

So with this in mind, in order to keep sheep from playing this play style the class, and its abilities have to be reworked. Simple value changes to its abilities and regen won't change much, as they still synergize (Pretty poorly at that) to a running-sniper oriented playstyle. Halving the knockback, of laser, which isn't particularly useful at the moment, decreasing its cooldown, and doubling the range has the opposite effect of making sheep more aggressive. This would make sheep want to rely more on laser as a long ranged spacing tool as it can now spam its laser from insane distances and snipe people with spam DPS better than ever before. Along with this, allowing it to take 50% damage from wool mine and giving it the ability to detonate it faster just facilitates its wool mine defense game, allowing it to do the same things but quicker and without as much drawbacks. Lowering its regen as well would just force sheep to keep away from damage sources more as it now has to wait longer to regen, and in turn, shoves it deeper into its run oriented niche. The last change I wanted to address is wooly rocket, which is used by sheep to keep opponents away (It deals 250% kb) and deal some nice chip damage. The issue with wooly rocket is that it is literally a move that helps sheep keep away and run. It allows sheep to travel high vertical distances with a chance to knock opponents away, and its main issue comes from the fact that the hitbox is so small its almost impossible to land. Allowing wooly rocket to collide at any point from when sheep uses it until it lands won't fix the hitbox issues, and will just allow sheep to keep away an opponent easier if it lands due to how long the hitbox is available, once again, having the opposite effect of preventing sheep from running. All of these sheep changes pretty much shove sheep into a niche of "aggressive camping".

In order to make sheep more aggressive, and less run and camp oriented, some changes that would have to be made are to change up wool mine into a more grenade / close combat oriented move, lower the range of laser while either increasing its damage or giving it a passive which synergizes with a more aggressive laser playstyle, increase its melee by a small amount, and change up wooly rocket so it can land easier, and have it deal less knockback. This would put sheep into a close ranged spacing niche, and while it wouldnt be able to contest super well against its usual counters such as skeleton and zombie, that's fine because now it has tools to deal with a variety of other classes, and actually allows it to be viable.

Nice post though, you communicated your ideas clearly and understandably, even if they didn't have the intended effects. It's important to think of all the possible outcomes of a potential change and think of a class as a whole, as their abilities are there to synergize into a certain type of playstyle, and sometimes you have to rework certain abilities and change things up to force an old playstyle into a new one.

Posted May 23, 2019
  3. Total -1 from me

Posted May 24, 2019
  4. Can i entirely agree with pupett's post
    --- Post updated ---
    GOOD NEWS. Sheep finally got buffed. Thanks Mineplex

Posted Jun 3, 2019
  5. At the end of the day, like the player above said, Sheep did get bugged. Woohoo!

Posted Jun 3, 2019
  6. Bugged? or Buffed? I get both because I saw a bug today where sheep were flying using the wooly rocket. Whether the people were covering hacks or truthful is beyond me

Posted Jun 3, 2019
  7. What.... what... glitch. Theres no glitch... its not like theres a glitch that you can abuse that allows sheep to fly around the map... that's just... crazy talk man... Double jump wooly rocket then mash the space bar, have fun abusing.

Posted Jun 3, 2019
  8. Alright then I fully 100% agree with you but I didn't know. Plus I don't have/play sheep at all. I only saw others doing this.

Posted Jun 3, 2019
  9. Wait is that why there are so many high leveled "hackers" around? Just creative flight to their hearts content? That's still really uncool though.

Posted Jun 3, 2019
  10. Sheep got the biggest rework and now has creative mode flight. Check it out guys.

Posted Jun 4, 2019
    ChrisPKStar and PapiKirito like this.
  11. 0/10 buff, broken immersion...
    They didn't name it sir. cloudsworth

Posted Jun 4, 2019
  12. Hey at least now its punishable to do!

Posted Jun 6, 2019