• 1332 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9770 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Special characters change

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Nicodami, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey!

I suggested this in the GI discord before, but it feels like it should be brought up here to gather more feedback.

My idea is rather straightforward. Y'all know how special characters do not display in chat in game. This include random characters such as hearts, stars, etc; but also letters with accents/symbols such as à, é, œ, ç, ø, etc. These special characters are very well used in European languages, and it is honestly annoying to have them censored in game! I can't even write 'French' (Français) in French properly at this point...

I believe this was made so that bypasses couldn't happen. Someone could have used any of these to replace the accent-free letter and thus bypass a word which is normally censored. While this is fair, it is rather annoying.

Here is my suggestion: Make it so that the system associates e variations (é, è, ê, ë, ę, ė, ē) with e, a variations with a, etc. This would mean that if someone says 'éįñâ' in chat, it would thus be considered as 'eina'. If that word was censored before, the version with accents would also be censored! Not only would the chat remain as bypass-free as before, it would also allow non-English speakers to communicate properly in their language.

I'd also like to point out that for some reason, on bedrock edition you are able to use accents, so it would be nice to be able to on Java as well! ;)

What do y'all think of that? :D

Posted Sep 3, 2019
    KilledByVoid and Xukuri like this.
  2. My language has several such characters and I can imagine a new player coming to the server and trying to type them, only to see them completely removed from the message without a clue on why that happened. I think your solution is the best way to keep both the developers and the players happy, so I'll go ahead and fully support the idea.

Posted Sep 3, 2019
    Xukuri and Nicodami like this.
  3. I don't know how hard it would be to add that. I mean, it's probably a little more complicated than just making the different letters included as apart of their respective English counterparts. It just might not be worth the risk, because what if somebody finds a way to bypass it and then we're swarmed with a bunch of bypasses or something? I don't personally think it'll be added. It would be nice sure, but it's just something that would be harder than what meets the eye to implement. Additionally, in the ToS it does mention something to do with speaking English primarily on the server.

Non-English Communication: Mineplex is an English language service. Communication, particularly content viewable by many users, will be conducted in the English language. This also means that users will use the English language properly.

I know it would benefit our community who speak different languages, but I'm not sure how good it would be filter-wise. If it's possible and it works good sure, I don't mind it. I'll give this a 0 because I'm not sure the technicalities behind it and how that would work.

Posted Sep 3, 2019
    Lipsticks and Nicodami like this.
  4. The Terms of Service are an official document, but it is often regarded as an outdated one that can be interpreted as a recap of the rules.
    The Rules Committee never uses it to enforce rules and it's generally become unimportant. Speaking other languages is never discouraged because discussion conducted in these languages is usually not an open one.

Otherwise your post seems to revolve around the difficulty of implementation, which is, with all respect, something that only a developer can assess.

Posted Sep 3, 2019
  5. Alright, I talked to Toki and she said this isn't possible/not happening. I'm sure if it was something that was possible with the code for the filter and stuff it would happen, but unfortunately, that's not a thing currently.

Well, not a dev, yes, but I have an idea of how this would be implemented. But after I saw your reply I asked to make sure if it was possible so that I could give an answer that wasn't based on guesswork.

Anyways, because it's something that isn't planned as of current, I'll lock this thread. Thank you for submitting your idea! I totally understand where you were coming from in the original request, it's just not something possible and that's not within my power. If you have any further questions or concerns let me know.

Thread locked - Not planned.

Posted Sep 3, 2019
    Thenorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.