• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

SSM map, community review.

Discussion in 'Build Showcase' started by bluebadger11, Jan 17, 2020.

?

Do you like it?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. It needs some work, but will turn out nice.

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. I'm making a Super Smash Mobs map. Before I get to far in the building process I want people to review my idea, and give some suggestions.

I'm making a steam punk map, I started in the middle with a tower (I have not made the base yet) with a large horizontal gear connected to it. I'll have some airships or some other flying things surrounding the tower. You can suggest anything you would like but keep it positive, don't just say what I did wrong try to give some ways of improving.

Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/FzOgBRs

Posted Jan 17, 2020
  2. This map looks really nice! Though at the moment it would be more fitting for a game like skywars or cakewars if you add the spawn islands of course. In ssm it will take just 1 bone kick slime rocket mid air block toss to kill someone. Maybe adding smaller islands around the giant clock will make the map look cooler and more playable.

Im a mediocre builder, so take my feedback with a grain of salt.

Posted Jan 17, 2020
  3. I am going to build a lot more things around the tower, thanks for your feedback!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 17, 2020
    TheStudentUnion likes this.
  4. It's definitely on the smaller side, which can be a big problem for SSM with the knockback that certain abilities do in addition to just not allowing for much strategic maneuvering. I would add a lot more open space personally. That's the main issue I see, and it should be something you can improve.

As far as aesthetics go, I also don't know what the theme really is? Like there's a building in the middle, but I can't tell what kind of building it is or what purpose the ring would serve to that building. Before building anymore, my advice would be to find a theme and stick to that so you have a basis for what to add to the rest of the map.

Other than those things, the map is obviously in the early stages, so I can't judge too much.

Posted Jan 17, 2020
    vezay likes this.
  5. Maybe create a few cogs and a train with a bridge that connects more islands also maybe make the giant wheel in the middle out of different textures and types of wood because it kind of seems bland.

Posted Jan 17, 2020
  6. Those are some of the things I was thinking about too.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 17, 2020
  7. Heyo,

This is an interesting map you've built here but I'm going to give you some useful tips. Their needs to be two major islands and some sort of gap and differences between them and the map should be bigger. If the map is bigger it allows movement between players and a much better game-play experience.

Let me know once it's been updated so I'll be able to see what feedback I can give back then!

Posted Jan 17, 2020
    Korben likes this.
  8. Hey!
    This build looks super nice! I just have a few comments I'd like to make!
    First, I think it's missing a plat central fighting platform. Currently, the ring is the major fighting platform. This does work as the main platform, however it encourages a lot of running. Many maps have a centralized point of focus that draws players towards it. My main suggestion would be to flatten the roof of the tower out, add a few stairs so it's a little more accessible, and that could be your centralized point.
    The only other point I would make is to make the map larger overall. As @ClassN mentioned, the map is currently rather small, which can be taken advantage of by high KB classes.

In terms of aesthetics, I would recommend adding dark woods - like a dark oak, and maybe some hardened clay to bring out the sauder and chrome aspects of Steampunk.

Overall, I really like what you have, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Posted Jan 17, 2020
    zHalo likes this.
  9. Yo!
    This map is off to an okay start, however, for SSM there would need to be a few changes:
    • SSM maps should be in the open / not have a ton of structures that people can get inside of as it affects gameplay
    • Add islands around the center to add more to gameplay and it makes the map look better
    • I'd suggest making the center clock tower bigger and using it as a "focus" point rather then something small
    • Change the design of the wood on the sides of the building - it looks kind of random.
    Overall, it's a good start but make sure to read the guidelines for SSM maps which can be found here: https://www.mineplex.com/threads/super-smash-mobs.95/

Good luck!

Posted Jan 17, 2020
    zHalo likes this.
  10. I think the map has potential, but there are changes that definitely should be made before it's to be accepted:

- No height variation around the majority of the map makes for boring, predictable gameplay. The only height difference on the map is the structure, which is far too tall to begin with (a super tall structure like the castle on Hyrule is fine because it allows any kit to easily scale it without using an ability).

- The lone structure is far too thick and discourages fighting. The only kits that would be able to get to the top without wasting their recovery are Slime and Magma Cube, and that's not ideal at all.

- The fact that some holes in the side of the clock go into the side is bad because people will be hit against a wall and not be able to save themselves since they wouldn't be able to run to the side to get out if someone's hitting them into the corner.

- There are far too many holes. They are predictable, yeah, but there is no space to fight down below because of all of the void

- Stairs along the edge of the island is annoying and will result in many people accidentally walking off even if they were shifting.

- The smokestack sticking out of the side of the building is far too close to the ground and wide. The smoke itself will get in the way of using abilities and fighting people around the general area.

- Flipping up the iron trapdoors in the building would be ideal.

- Overall increasing the size of the map to accommodate SSM2 especially would be very beneficial to the gameplay on it.

Like I said, this map has a lot of potential, but the aforementioned issues are things that would get brought up both as a response to your map sub as well as in testing, so fixing them is definitely worthwhile!

Posted Jan 18, 2020
  11. you might want to start from scratch

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    vezay, Xukuwu and Jaek like this.
  12. It makes a bad ssm map, but try against with a better theme that may fit ssm gameplay!

Posted Jan 18, 2020
    vezay and QuietMyChild like this.
  13. You spelt again wrong

Posted Jan 18, 2020
  14. I'm thinking of keeping the gear theme but chucking the tower and just give it to your imagination how the gears float. I'm going to add many airships and more gears around to give a lot more space to go. Thanks for all your comments they have helped a lot!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 20, 2020
  15. More space and height variation would definitely be the way to go here to make more interesting gameplay. I'd suggest adding a couple of really low gears and a couple of really high gears as well to give a lot of variation.

As for the decoration in general, it needs some more texture, but the palette looks alright. Adding some more depth in the build would help make it easier on the eyes.

Posted Jan 20, 2020
  16. Heyo!

This is a nice start but there are some things that need changing in order for this to make it into Map Testing.

To start, the map is very small right now, you should add more islands which have terrain and is not a circle with a structure, make the terrain thick too! Another thing is the height variation. You have to take all kits into consideration and add some height variation to the map too and make the gameplay exciting!

Secondly, the middle island is wayyyy too thin. When the creeper uses it's Smash Crystal and uses it at the middle, they would fall through the map which will result in them dying and wasting the Smash Crystal.

Finally, I would suggest making the map more open and remove the stairs on the side, those stairs could cause a lot of issues and glitches and a lot of players could fall off from it. Regarding the building, I would make it smaller and have more space on the map which sort of goes with making the gameplay exciting and make the map bigger!

Anyway best of luck with your map! Looks cool so far!

~Cheers!
    -spikecreates

Posted Jan 20, 2020
    iiSpecter likes this.
  17. Thanks for your thoughts! I know that the creeper smash will go through the ground and I cannot really make the gear thicker, so I guess the player using the creeper kit will need to go to one of the other islands (which will be thicker) before using their smash.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 21, 2020
  18. This isn't a good alternative, though. You can't really just assume people will know to go to different places to use their final smash, unless it's REALLY obvious. Usually in the moment, people wouldn't even THINK of a thing like that.

You could easily make the gear thicker on the bottom and near the center, as this will make the thickening invisible to an extent, unless it is by tens of blocks or spotted while under the map.

Posted Jan 21, 2020
  19. Ok thanks for your input.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 22, 2020