• 857 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 3436 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned [Staff Command] Disable Specific Cosmetics

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Danese, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,
    So I have noticed that a lot of the lobbies are lagging... badly! For those of you who don't know, when the lobbies lag a TON (server-sided lag), there are several cosmetics that can be abused and result in a lobby looking like this:

[​IMG]

As such, typically a moderator (or whoever has the permission to do so) ends up disabling all cosmetics in the lobby in order to A. help reduce the amount of lag in the lobby and B. prevent the lobby from being glitched out and murdered.
    So I had an idea:
    Why not be able to just disable certain cosmetics? You know, the ones that lag the most and can cause the most amount of glitches?
    How this would work:
    Staff members (whoever has permission to disable cosmetics in lobbies) would be able to use the same command that they use to disable cosmetics in the lobbies.
    However, when they do so, instead of all of the cosmetics being disabled, they would have a GUI that they would use to disable certain cosmetics. This GUI would look something like this:

[​IMG]

You'll notice that I've only included particles, arrow trails, death effects, leap effects, balloons, discs, gadgets, mounts, hats, costumes, morphs, and flags.
    This is because the remaining cosmetics are either pets, level colors, or are simply not used in lobbies. Actually, I've only included death effects due to glads (assuming glads actually uses the death effects). Plus it makes the GUI look balanced...
    How does this GUI work?
    Well, it's simple really.
    Left-click an item to disable that category of a specific type of cosmetics. Right-click an item to disable a specific cosmetic in that cosmetic category.
    Let's say I disable Gadgets.
    This is what the GUI would look like:

[​IMG]

You've probably noticed the Redstone Block and the Emerald Block on the top of the GUI.
    Well,
    The Redstone Block disables ALL of these categories, while the Emerald Block enables ALL of these categories.
    When everything is disabled, the GUI looks like this:

[​IMG]

So now, if a lobby is lagging and you're worried that people are going to use Spook-In-A-Box to grief the lobby, you can disable that specific cosmetic OR you can disable JUST the gadgets in the lobby.
    And, if a lobby is lagging, you can disable everything except the costumes and/or the particles! This way, players can still look cool in their particles and costumes, while the lobby lags much, much less.

Also, you've probably noticed the orange glass up top. Well, this is the coolest feature in my opinion.
    I've set the glass to orange to represent the server's ping if the server's lag is moderate.
    If the server is not lagging, the GUI would look like this:

[​IMG]

And, if the server's lag is extreme, the GUI would look like this:

[​IMG]

Additional Notes:
    PPC cosmetics fall under all of these categories. They also fall under the categories of weapon names, taunts, kit selectors, and pets. These cosmetics have no effects on the lobby. Taunts can only be used in-game, kit selectors are both client-sided and only useable in game lobbies, weapon names are only useable in-game and they have no effects on the server's lag (because they just rename a weapon), and pets are enabled when the lobby's cosmetics are disabled (currently and which is why they aren't in this list).

-Dan

Posted Aug 1, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 1, 2019
  2. I don't see anything wrong with this, there's a lot of pros and i don't see any problems with this idea.
    Pro's:

-Helps reduce lag

+1

Posted Aug 1, 2019
    Calactic, _NoHaxJustCats_ and Danese like this.
  3. It would require a bit of dev power in order to make it. You’d be coding the GUI and resulting commands from scratch. I think this is cool, it’s just not really necessary. The only people who have access to those commands are admin+, so it would be essentially a GUI for them only and it wouldn’t really be seen by anyone else. While that’s fine and all, I just don’t know how necessary having a full GUI is. If people are spamming gadgets/cosmetics, the best thing to do is probably just disable everything until it calms down instead of worrying about specific things.
    Don’t get me wrong - thank you for putting so much detail into this little idea of yours, it’s well put together. But I do agree with you— maybe a way to disable specific cosmetics with a command if that’s already not a thing?
    But thanks for putting so much detail into this! ^-^
    I’ll go with a 0 because it’s a good idea in general, it just would take a bit of time to do for something most staff don’t have access to.

Posted Aug 1, 2019
    Danese and wattywatty14 like this.
  4. I'll give this idea a 0 because this GUI would be seen only by a small amount of people. It would be a small QoL change for normal players because they could still use some gadgets but overall, I don't find it necessary.

Posted Aug 4, 2019
    Danese likes this.
  5. I'll be giving it a -1/0

We staff really don't need this, the only team I can see actually using this is Event Squad because we do lobby events, but even then we always have our Admin with us for most lobby events so it wouldn't matter anyways.

The times people actually need gadgets to be turned off is pretty rare I'd say. When it's usually needed an Admin comes to take care of it.

Posted Aug 4, 2019
    Danese and NoHacksJustTurbo like this.
  6. As neat as this command seems I can't really think of any recurring situations where cosmetics needed to be disabled. Cosmetic moderation seems like a really niche scenario, and, like @Marzie said, only seems applicable in situations such as Events when an Admin is present.

Overall I'm pretty neutral on this idea because while it would be neat to have, I don't think we would use it very often and I'm not sure it would be a worthwhile use of Developer resources.

Posted Aug 4, 2019
  7. Would definitely be helpful, TNT gadgets, etc

Posted Aug 13, 2019
  8. I'm going to agree with @Bunni on this. It seems a bit unnecessary and with the resources we have I'd rather them focus on other things. While I agree it can be annoying to have cosmetics like level color turned off when all cosmetics are, I think it's just best to turn off everything if the server is lagging bad enough to warrant it. -1

Posted Aug 14, 2019
  9. Currently, Admin+ answer requests to disable cosmetics in lobbies if they're lagging. There's usually somebody avaliable to come and turn them off, so something like this isn't really needed. I'll commend you for creating a detailed idea, though - nice job, thank you for spending so much time on this! I don't believe that mod+ should have access to disable cosmetics, only admin+ - and they do a good job of it already. With that said, I'll lock this idea and mark it as not planned - thanks for your suggestion!

Posted Nov 14, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.