• 204 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2288 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Staff member education course?

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by hyperthink, Oct 21, 2019.

?

Should staff be required to take a training course before they join?

1. Yes, a short one

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes, an extensive one

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Yes (indifferent)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, find a different way to qualify them.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, keep the current system

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  6. No (indifferent)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've heard some stuff about staff that makes the staff team seem very bad. Example: a helper allegedly said that reach hacking is "allowed" because they can't ban for it. it was explained further later that it's about the lag and that usually when somebody is obviously using reach they will ban them for "Killaura" or get them on something else. anyway, other things that have happened such as me being banned for 40 days because of 'bunny-hopping around the map at extreme speeds' even though I SWEAR to you i was not doing anything out of the ordinary. Other things have happened (won't go into detail on these) like: a person was obviously scamming/offering fake stuff to people in the lobby, someone was using noslowdown very obviously (I could tell by their behavior), someone else was offering to 'trade' stuff (scamming again), some people harass others and staff can't do much about it because of the way they do it..
    so i propose that staff should have to take a course to learn how to properly identify cheats, identify scamming or other malicious chatting behaviors such as knowingly spamming vs when someone's just talking a lot, and be judged perhaps on 1: how they acted, as in how professionally they handled the situation and 2: what measures they took/how they punished the suspect, e.g. if someone is caught flying in the lobby they shouldn't really get a perm ban the first time around in my opinion.
    Not sure how they'd make this work but just as a proof-of-concept so you know what i'm talking about here: (made up scenario)
    a person wants to join the staff team - first they are given a small exam to gauge how much time they need to be trained for. next, they pick out a good schedule that works for the staff teaching them and the new staff member. for example, maybe 1 hour a day every other day works for them & the server. then they follow through until they've been sufficiently trained (the time based on their first-exam score), next they are given a final exam making sure they actually learned.
    I don't think this is too far fetched to ask, Mineplex is an official minecraft partner and I know if I were (one of) the owner of one, i'd want my staff to be 100% sure they were trained for the job.
    I hope this doesn't come across as me bashing the staff team or undermining them, I'm sorry for any offenses.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  2. if you see a staff member telling people it’s okay to hack, or they don’t ban someone that you reported who is clearly hacking, you can contact a member of staff management.

however a guide or a video to show staff members how to identify cheats may be a good idea just in general, +1

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  3. I think the staff are trained currently and there is a training system in place currently. That being said I think that most/all the staff are good with handling themselves in interactions with people. While sometimes they might give out a wrongful punishment, you can appeal. If they don't catch someone people on mineplex with rank hero+ can report them if they provide evidence. All in all I think staff should ve trained but they already are.

PS sorry for my grammar and misspelling its been a long day XD

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  4. That's the point of our Trainee rank, to be trained to become a Mod with full permissions. Trainees get things called an MoT and EoT (Middle of Trial Test and End of Trial Test), which should be self explanitory. Trainees get things like QOTDs and QOTWs (Questions of the day/Questions of the week). New mods also get some training still with QOTDs/QOTWs. Not to mention Trainees are literally here to learn and make mistakes. Staff have many guides on many different things already too, it's just about them learning along the way.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  5. Hello,

First up, I would like to apologize for this. It is never the experience that we want our players to have on Mineplex; we already strive to provide the best relationship between the Community and Staff Team that we can. I would like to go through this thread piece by piece, as there is a lot in here to be addressed.

"A helper allegedly said that reach hacking is "allowed" because they can't ban for it. it was explained further later that it's about the lag and that usually when somebody is obviously using reach they will ban them for "Killaura" or get them on something else."
    Reach is never, nor will it ever be, allowed on Mineplex. This Trainee (previously Helper awhile ago) was most likely confused as to what they were talking about since normal Moderation staff cannot punish for it, only Quality Assurance can. Adding on to this, we will never punish someone for KillAura if they look like they are using Reach just to ban them. We will only ban them if we have sufficient evidence of an offense occurring. In the future, if you see either of this happening, create a Support Ticket and it will be resolved internally.

"Other things that have happened such as me being banned for 40 days because of 'bunny-hopping around the map at extreme speeds' even though I SWEAR to you i was not doing anything out of the ordinary."
    I apologize for this. If you think that the punishment was unjustified, the only thing to do is appeal and one of our Forum Ninjas will deal with it. Make sure to read the Appeal Guide to have the highest chance possible of it being accepted.

"A person was obviously scamming/offering fake stuff to people in the lobby, someone was using noslowdown very obviously (I could tell by their behavior), someone else was offering to 'trade' stuff (scamming again), some people harass others."
    All of these are against our rules and the Staff Team will punish for it. Using NoSlow will result in a ban, scamming will result in a permanent mute, and harassment will result in a mute, too. If you see this, feel free to report it using the forums, /report, or StaffRequest (/com request StaffRequest). One of our Staff Members will deal with it appropriately. If you find a member of the team ignoring it, please create a ticket with the link above.

"So I propose that staff should have to take a course to learn how to properly identify cheats, identify scamming or other malicious chatting behaviors."
    We already have this in place: the Trainee trial. Our Trainees go through a two-month trial to make sure they have adequate understandings of the rules and are capable of handling punishments. They only have access to severity one punishments, so anything above, they will send to their mentor for the punishment to be "bumped." It is through these trials that our Trainees grasp a better understandings of the rules and learn to become a better member of the team.

Overall, the idea you are suggesting is not far off from already being here. We make sure that our Trainees know what they are doing, and if they do not, their mentors will work with them to get them there. After all, they are in training. Mistakes are how everyone learns, and this situation is no different.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    510bike, Dallarth, AyyNick and 3 others like this.
  6. As Marzie above me has said, that's the entire purpose of the standard 2 month long trainee trial, to give training to the staff member on how to be a successful moderator. Will this training make them a perfect individual who never makes a single mistake? Of course not! I've personally made several, several mistakes over my 5 years here, it just happens because we're human. The moderators we have are also entirely volunteer which means they are not paid. Therefore to keep staff members we sometimes have to work with them through their mistakes and improvement is always a per person sort of deal. Just as everyone in school learns at their own pace and has their own strengths and weaknesses, so to do the people trying to become a mod here.

As for the trainee telling you/someone else they couldn't ban for reach, that's because they cannot. The only people who can punish for reach are those with access to GWEN logs so that they are able to see more precise information on the suspected hacker. The people that have access to these logs are our Quality Assurance members. So unless the person who was using reach was using something else as well, there would've been no action that the trainee could have taken so they were absolutely doing their job. As expanded on more below with more information, if you notice mistakes contact their supervisor, this can also apply if someone has explained something incorrectly to you or someone else.

I'm sure if you're talking about having had a false ban you were able to successfully appeal it and get it removed right? If that is the case I do apologize on that staff member's mistake, however it's not reasonable to expect that staff members will have 100% accuracy in their hundreds, sometimes thousands of punishments each month. Yes, we do have some staff members who process thousands of reports, or moderate enough to remove thousands of hackers. We frequently have trainees who submit hundreds of Staff Reports during their 2 month trial. We do focus on minimizing mistakes though and because of this we always enforce a quality over quantity approach.

If you notice any mistakes a staff member has made feel free to collect any and all evidence and then submit a support ticket at https://www.mineplex.com/tickets or alternatively feel free to message me over the website, or even on discord and I can deal with it if they are a trainee or a moderator, or pass it on if they are a senior moderator under a different admin.

With all of that being said, if you have suggestions on how to improve the trainee trial or our moderation system, I would suggest that you first do a little bit more research and then feel free to message me with any feedback as I am the admin in charge of Trainees and Moderators.

Have a great day!

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    Dulciloquy, Im_Ken, BBoy2003 and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.