• 2289 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 15718 Players Online
  • 13429 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Survival Games Overhaul

Discussion in 'Survival Games' started by SneekyTheUchiha, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Goodafternoon everyone!
    Today I decided to come on and present a new idea that could possibly bring a new touch to the gamemode we all grew up with and love. In recent years we have all seen how survival games and events alike have fallen in popularity due to the influx of new players who prefer to play minigames or survival like all the new big youtubers do. My idea is a simple one but would bring survival games to a new level of fun and possibly bring out an enticing experience for those new younglings joining the mix for the first time!

Main Points:

• Kit changes
    • Competitive Ideas
    • Map updates

Kit Overhaul
    Since I can remember, survival games kits have relatively stayed the same throughout the years. Many kits are unused as they provide no true advantage and are just kits for your average player looking to just have some fun. With 1.17 just shy of an 8 month release date and the newer versions of minecraft gaining popularity, it would be nice to have a few new set of kits to appeal to the new generation. With the inevitable update to the 1.9 PvP versions, kits like the axeman kit will become more popular, so as a good buff it can be set as one of the more expensive kits, while an armorer kit consisting of a leather tunic and boots can replace it. Along with that, newer kits can be added to help make a smooth transition into the updates to come. The archer kit is a good starter kit, but maybe a buff could be that every kill you get a specialty arrow, like a slowness arrow or a poison arrow. Overall the kits over the years have slowly become lackluster and would benefit from having a brand new overhaul.

Change Proposals
    • Add Guardian kit - consists of protection 1 on the first piece of armor you put on, comes with a resistance 2 potion lasting 15 seconds.
    • Axeman Kit - Make the kit 9000 Gems, change axe throw damage to half a heart with knockback buffed 5%
    • Armorer Kit - New main kit, comes with a leather Tunic and boots, free starting kit.
    • Marksman Kit - (Proposed for future updates) Crossbow with 5 shots on it before it breaks
    • Archer Kit - every kill you would acquire one special arrow to use such as slowness or poison arrows
    • Necromancer Kit - Nerf the armor the minions spawn with, must give minions weapon yourself

Competitive SG
    Competitive PvP has been in the front lines of the Minecraft it would be nice to see it implemented as it would appeal to also the older generation. The 10 year Minecraft veterans have grown out of the old Mineplex phase where they loved to play the little minigames and even SG for fun, However it does not mean that they still are not part of the community. This gamemode would run like normal SG, however an ELO system can be setup in order to keep track of your wins and losses. The implementation of this would also have to come with the removal of kits to make it more even. Some players prefer the idea of playing in an even scenario where the kit is not used as a crutch to win a tight match. With competitive new events can be hosted aswell where the person with the highest ELO can win special rewards such as cosmetic, crates, etc.

Change Proposals
    • Addition of ELO - ELO gain can be exponential to win/loss ratio
    • New Gamemode - No kits used for more competitive play
    • Competitions - Monthly ELO competitions, top 3 can be awarded with cosmetics, crates, or other rewards.

New Maps
    With all the new blocks and biomes introduced into Minecraft, it would be nice to see a variety of new maps utilizing them and adding a new aspect to the game. Original SG was always open to the idea of rowing around in boats and having interactable maps with traps and such, which would be a nice touch to add back that nostalgia to the gamemode. These new maps can either be reworks of old maps or a completely new setup in order to switch everything up and try to freshen up the air. Some ideas for these maps could be one like a western sea temple, a sphynx map based around ancient egypt, set in a desert. Due to the fact that the server has not updated to 1.16, maps themed behind the nether is not possible, however an end city themed map would be a neat addition, using purpur blocks and endstone bricks to recreate the asthetic of the end.

Change Proposals
    • New Maps, consisting of new biomes and new asthetics
    • Leviathan Temple - Reconstructed sea temple with 4-5 floors where players can fight, or scale from the outside
    • Ancient Egypt - A rundown map of a Sphynx with a detailed inside and enough space to fight outside.
    • End City Ruins - New map utilizing the end cities blocks and basic layout
    • Future Updates - Nether map utilizing new nether blocks and biomes to its full extent.

Final Thoughts
    This thread, while not as long as others is open to opinions from all as the community should also have a say on what they would like to see. I would love to see some input and would be thrilled to discuss further opinions with you all!

Posted Nov 10, 2020,
    Last edited Nov 10, 2020
    Paladise likes this.
  2. Update:
    Added change proposals to every section

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 10, 2020
  3. Okay, I'm just gonna be blunt about this, Mineplex, or any other large Minecraft multiplayer server, is updating past 1.8 anytime soon. PvP is widely disliked on versions above 1.9, and unless Mojang reverts it back to how it used to be, or some other way to use it in latest versions is created, there is simply no way any of your ideas relying on 1.9+ feature will be possible. And the idea itself of revamping SG seems unnecessary, the kits could definitely use some more balances, and a few new kits won't hurt, but for the most part SG is fine how it is, and doing a complete overhaul would just be a waste of dev time, and knowing the MP community, it would likely upset many players. Lastly, we simply don't have the playercount for a ranked mode on SG, on any game on Java right now. Also, I don't see any reason for a mode that has not kits, because the whole point of Mineplex SG is the kits. Overall though creative, this idea doesn't seem nessacary, and overall would waste dev time, upset the playerbase, and split it aswell -1

Posted Nov 10, 2020
    Aaronn03 likes this.
  4. Completely understand where you are coming from, however that is why the ideas are only for the future. I think the main points Im trying to deduce from these are the need for new kits and maps, while also keeping the future into consideration. I think that while it is fine that there is not any kits there is also a majority of people who play the mode with no kits and it would attract a bunch of players again!

Thank you for the feedback though, love to hear from others! I am definitely open to discussing maybe some ideas that would be worth adding however and maybe expanding on that idea of new kits.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 10, 2020

5. This year I played this gamemode a lot from April to August (quarantine lol) and I got a considerable amount of wins in those months. I play PvP gamemodes since 2014 so I can consider myself a experienced player. So this are my thoughts on this:

- First of all, I agree that SG needs some updates and see new things, but it depends on what are you changing.

- Kit changes and 1.9+ PvP:
    Personally, I don't agree with this idea. First updating pvp to the newer versions will make the game less popular than it is right now. People (including myself) just don't like how 1.9 pvp works.

Your kits ideas are not that bad, they just don't fit with how the kits in Mineplex SG work. What make mineplex kits unique, is that they have Active abilites and passives. I don't like the idea of spawning with items like the other servers kits do.
    Also Axeman does NOT need a buff, it's the most op kit in Solos. And the Necromancer skeletons do not spawn with armor, they spawn with the gear that the guy you killed had.

- Competitive SG:
    I agree with the idea of having an Elo system in games, or having ranks like Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond, etc. There are already competitions like SGCL which are focused in competitive SG and have FFA games, Duos, Teams of 4, 1v1 and scrims.
    I don't know what to say about a "no kits" gamemode. I don't think that is needed. Mineplex has very creative kits and it's fun to have to choose your kits in terms of what map are you going to play, or to counter other kits.

- New Maps:
    Not much to say here, I think it would be great to see new maps and your ideas are cool.

Posted Nov 12, 2020
    Aaronn03 and Young_Inventor like this.
  6. I agree with you in the fact that Mineplex Survival Games could use a revamp, but a lot of the updated item you talk about not available in early versions on Minecraft.

Posted Nov 27, 2020
  7. Yes, Survival games needs a revamp. Not this way lol. Although I enjoy competition, a lot of players just play sg for fun.

1.9 combat? This is going to hurt the game. Mineplex had once a game, skyfall, and it was removed cause of lack of players. Hardly anyone logs on to a server on the version 1.9+ unless it’s required to join.

Axe man buff!??? Now hold up. Axeman is definitely the kit to nerf. It's very op.

I'm sorry dude, but this isn't my picture for survival games. -1

Posted Nov 27, 2020
    yvuggu and Young_Inventor like this.
  8. I mean I like the competitive ideas you included, but 1.9+ combat would ruin the game. Nobody really plays on 1.9+ and it would just cause the game to lose all of its players. The competitive game mode with no kits is a good idea though.

Posted Nov 27, 2020
    • Add Guardian kit - seems kinda useless when knight gives you a much better defensive advantage (half a heart less of damage) + it has offensive (hilt smash) this kit would be unused.. unless the plan is to get rid of knight once the 1.9 update happens
    • Axeman Kit - Tbh i dont think I have ever seen anyone throw an ax in sg lol. Still though, I wouldnt mind it being buffed in some way .. although I think 1.9 may help the kit idk for sure. Not too familiar with 1.9 so yeah. But it would need a buff unless 1.9 gives it a buff.
    • Armorer Kit - again seems useless since there is knight
    • Marksman Kit - (Proposed for future updates) Crossbow with 5 shots on it before it breaks.. hm only 5 shots that seems like it would run out super quick. Unless cross bows are massively op in 1.9 .. i dont see this working out tbh.. once again I don't know 1.9
    • Archer Kit - every kill you would acquire one special arrow to use such as slowness or poison arrows. Archer can be annoying sometimes in sg lol.. I think a small buff would be ok. But that is an interesting idea, a small effect like hunger or slowness upon hitting them for like 3 seconds may help it out.
    • Necromancer Kit - Necro can become op if a pro usess it tbh. So yeah.. a limit to the amount of zombies you can have owuld be nice if that doesnt exist already. Agree to a nerf/limitations to this kit to make sure it isn't too op.
    • Can't forget about the best kit ever! Bomber! lol it would need a buff too kek

Posted Nov 27, 2020
  9. I definitely agree, granted everyone hates the idea of 1.9 and that's fine. However eventually the servers have to update to 1.9 so precognitive ideas are nice. I think the Bomber kit for sure needs a buff as I have it and am yet to touch it. Crossbows aren't super OP however I would not mind a kit like that when the update comes. As for necro, while yes in the hands of a pro thats good, that's not the issue. I think Mineplex needs to adapt better to build a stronger base like it once had and that would be competitive, bring the pros back since they have dissapeared.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 1, 2020
  10. I completely understand you side and am willing to explain as you seem to have misunderstood. This post is mostly to give precognitive ideas of what could be when 1.9 comes. The update is inevitable, however I'm not saying it has to happen. The survival games picture is flawed and the gamemode is dying, unless there is a drastic change there will not be new players joining.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 1, 2020
    OrangeyCob likes this.