• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9101 Players Online
  • 6211 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

The 4 Phases to Reviving Champions (or Any Game)

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by beanowonotanuwu, Jul 6, 2020.

1. For those who don't know, Champions is sort of a genre of game modes. These game modes are essentially team-based Custom Pvp games. As some have put it, "Champions is more than just a Sharp 2 Sword." The game mode has dozens upon dozens of custom abilities and has been around longer than Mineplex has.

This whole process for reviving Champions or any game for that fact I have dubbed the "Bean Process" and it has one goal:
    To regain Developer and Mineplex Interest by creating a New-Player Friendly Environment that brings in players from other servers

Over the years, I have observed games come and go but one thing has remained true: The ones that stay are either able to keep a medium-sized following or are able to reel in new players.

Though in the title I say Champions, I do believe if this process proves to be successful,
    it could easily be applied (over the course of time) to every game.

Let it be known, though, that I say Champions because Champions has NOT gotten a major update in over 2 years and would be a perfect test subject for the Bean Process.

Phase 1: Champions-specific Currency
    We start this phase by issuing a 2-week long warning to all the players across the Mineplex Network that all builds will be wiped on Dominate and Capture the Flag game modes.

After all the community's builds are wiped, introducing a game-specific currency into Champions is the next step.

This currency would be called "Credits" or "c" for short (Fun Fact: Credits used to be the main currency on NautilusMC/BetterMC, the original Champions servers).

All that needs to be done now is for all the Skills in the "Select Skills" Gui to have their costs adjusted from "1000 Gems" --> "1000c" or "1000 Credits"

Creating a game-specific currency not only re-ignites the grind for older players to unlock every skill but it also incentivizes newer players to stick around longer.

Lastly, the community has seen Mineplex create custom currencies as they did with the Castle Assault game mode so we know that Mineplex is capable of implementing something like this. We also know that game-specific currencies have been successful. Notably for the #1 most played server (Hypixel) which employs game-specific currencies in all of its major games.

***PHASE 2 OCCURS 1 DAY AFTER PHASE 1***

Phase 2: Creating a Tutorial (for Domination)
    For those that haven't played Domination (DOM), essentially, it is a team-based game mode that focuses on capturing points and earning points to contribute to the total score.
    DOM is also a member of the Champions Genre.

Seeing as Domination is the most popular Champions game mode of the 4, I suggest that it be the only Champions game mode to receive a tutorial.

We start this phase after the end of Phase 1 by implementing a tutorial that can be accessed in the Main Lobbies near the Champions Area or in a Domination Lobby while waiting for a game.

This tutorial will look very similar to the one in the Main Lobbies; however, it will be for Domination.

Some things that should be show-cased:
    • How the Skill Token System Works
    • How to navigate around the Customize Build GUI
    • How to purchase Items and Skills
    • What ReStocks Do
    • What Emeralds Do
    • How to Capture Points
    Additionally, on completing the tutorial, the player will receive 6000c.

***PHASE 3 OCCURS 3 DAYS AFTER PHASE 2***

Phase 3: Matchmaking Algorithm
    This phase is intended to be a sort of way to hook the players into staying and learning the game, DOM.

As the name suggests, we introduce a Matchmaking Algorithm that, well, matches you up with people around your experience level.

Let me explain what I mean:

This Matchmaker will take your overall in-game hours, the number of champions games played, hours in champions, wins in champions, and possibly other things to create your Skill-Rating.

This Skill-Rating will be COMPLETELY SERVER-SIDE and only known to Developers (to get data for future updates) and Staff (to keep an eye on stat-boosting and smurfing; more on smurfing later).

This Skill-Rating would use an Algorithm called K-nearest neighbors (basically matching you with people who are close to Skill-Rating).

The Matchmaker would adjust games based on hours and players to try and group skilled players against skilled players and inexperienced players against their counterparts.

Obviously, the Matchmaker needs to be thought out some more but would likely be able to be coded in 1-2 weeks (I'm a programmer and am familiar with this stuff).

***PHASE 4 OCCURS 4 DAYS AFTER PHASE 3***

Phase 4: Cleaning Up
    In this phase, our focus is to clean up the game mode by correcting issues from other phases.

We start by fixing major bugs (trust me, there will be bugs). I know this one seems obvious, but it is very easy to just ignore a bug and act like it doesn't exist; however, that is what loses community interest.

Next, we create additional tutorials in the form of YouTube Videos. These tutorials would be able to be accessed through a command called /tutorials which will pull up a list of links to the tutorials.

These video tutorials would include everything the in-game tutorial included but would be in the video format.

At this point, quite a lot of attention will be brought on the game and a large number of new players would be joining.
    Though the Matchmaker is a very good tool to separate experienced players from inexperienced players, there will still be some overlap.
    For this reason, parties will be capped at 3 people in order to prevent large parties of experienced players to stat boost and gain credits unfairly and/or to stop large parties of experienced players from getting on alt accounts and demolishing new players.

Finally, there are two issues I have not addressed yet:
    1. Smurfing (Playing on an account that is a lower level and therefore would have a lower Skill-Rating effectively destroying the separation of High-Skill and Low-Skill players).
    2. Cheaters (Hackers who use Hacked Clients to gain an edge on other players).
    The Cheater Problem can really only be fixed through GWEN improvements and a higher Staff Presence.

The Smurfing Problem I do have a fix for:
    1. First, we create a game mode called Domination Quick Play (DOMQP).
    2. Secondly, we make it so this game mode will not have the full influence of the Matchmaker and will instead act as a version of DOM where High-Skill players can play with their Low-Skill players and vice-versa.
    3. The only influence the Matchmaker will have will be trying to match parties with parties and non-partied players with non-partied players.
    4. Finally, we make it punishable for Smurfing in the DOM (Note that when I say DOM, I am NOT referring to the new game mode, DOMQP). This can be done by checking ip addresses for accounts with a significantly higher Skill-Rating. The details of this punishment should be decided by the RC (Rules Committee).

If you made it this far, thank you for your time.
    That concludes the Bean Process. I encourage everyone who reads this read to provide me with feedback so I can refine this process into something better.

Posted Jul 6, 2020
  2. This seems like an interesting way to revive Champions. I have one other idea that I think could also help. I think CTF and DOM should have there own NPC, like they did in 2015. This way CTF won't be in the shadow of DOM, so more new players will see it and play it. I also think the re-introduction of TDM could help revive Champions, because I think part of the reason Champions is declining is that new players would usually start at TDM, and move to DOM. With TDM removed, not as many new players were going to DOM, so the game started declining in popularity.

Posted Jul 6, 2020
    Legend998 and beanowonotanuwu like this.
  3. This is interesting bean, idk about the Champions currency wiping all players kits and skills because we all had to grind for those skills as is, I'm sure a good amount would just drop out. The concept could work but destroying the work that everyone made is kinda ehh.

Posted Jul 6, 2020
    beanowonotanuwu likes this.
  4. The other problem is clans, which is very much tied to the very same champions skills. Would clans players have to earn champion credits to get new skills? Would their skills be wiped in clans too?

Posted Jul 6, 2020
  5. Clans actually doesn't even have all the same skills as pub games but I'd imagine it would be wiping account status so in essence it would effect them too.

Posted Jul 6, 2020
    beanowonotanuwu likes this.
  6. You are right about the dropping out part and I wouldn't want to sacrifice long-time players for new ones. However, here is why I said that. See, I thought it would be a little unfair to have people starting off with almost no skills having to play against people with quite a large amount of skills unlocked.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 6, 2020
  7. Hey!

I must say, this is a very detailed in-depth thread. I want to go over every point that you said here with some feedback, and my view on each "Phase"

I think this is a decent point. In my mind, Gems are already not being used as often, and build up in a players Mineplex Account without many other places to go. This is the only con I see to this point. Overall, I think this point is a pretty good one for getting players interested. Although, you did not really elaborate on how one gets "Credits". With this aside I think a separate Champions currency is a good point here. +1

Yes, yes, yes. This is needed. This has been needed since Champions has been a thing. Champions overall is complicated, even for experienced players and I think this could benefit Champions a lot. I know tons of players who don't play Champions solely because of its complexity. +1

Ehh. I think this is quite an interesting idea, but I don't know if this is ideal for Champions. Here are a few issues I see with this: First being, what if players somehow abused this. After reading about smurfing, I think this is just the tip of the iceberg of issues that this could cause. Yes, I have seen plenty of DOM lobbies where one team absolutely destroys the other team, although I think this is mainly caused by party's in Champions and that having a Matchmaker would over fix the issue. With this aside, I think a matchmaker is a pretty good idea to a limit. I think new players (first 5-25 games) should be paired with other new players. I think this would help players "learn" the game and not be matched with people way above their skill level. I'll give this a +0.5 as I still think this is a decent idea.

To start off with the obvious, fixing bugs is something that should be attended to, although I don't know if it would be best to do this after barely a week of the update being released. I think bug reports should start being processed and attended to at the earliest after a month. This being after plenty of players has played the new update. I also think YouTube videos aren't a bad idea and could get some content on the Mineplex YouTube channel. Parties being capped is a great idea. In my opinion, they should be capped at the most 2, although this is purely opinion. Regarding the Cheating problem, I think as more players start playing Champions with this update, the staff presence would increase and for the most part I don't think Cheaters would be too big of a deal. I think DOMQP is not a horrible idea, although I don't see how this could fix the smurfing problem. I feel this would be unnecessary and not needed. Aside from that, I think having IP checks on possible "smurfing" players is a pretty good idea. +1

Overall, I appreciate how organized and well put together this thread was, and I think having this could increase the player count of Champions. The only thing I am worried about is if the PvP playerbase is big enough to make this update worth it. At the beginning of all of this, I don't think this will attract players who weren't already on Mineplex, it would attract players who already have been playing on Mineplex. Now, as time goes on and in theory, if Champions grows I think more players will come to Mineplex and this update would be beneficial to the Network.

+1

Posted Jul 6, 2020

8. I know I forgot to mention this in my thread but anywhere in Champions that Gems are normally given would instead give Credits. Thank you for bringing that up.

Regarding your response to Phase 3, I will admit, things like Overwatch and other, larger, games influenced me in writing this particular phase. I will definitely take things from what you said to refine this phase. Thank you.

Regarding your response to Phase 4, DOMQP is intended to be a way to make Smurfing a punishable offense. Otherwise, I believe there might be outrage from the community on how the parties are capped off at 3 and the Matchmaker would prevent them from showing any of their newer-to-Champions friends around.

Another thing about how you thought parties should be capped off at 2, I originally wanted them to be abolished for Domination like how they are abolished in Clans; however, I think this might be unappealing to players from other games like Cake Wars.

Finally, about your point on the PvP playerbase, I do think it would be big enough. Cake Wars and Survival Games alone took away sizable chunks of Champions playerbase as did the Dern Update on Wynncraft. I believe this update would bring back a lot of those older players knowing that Developer interest is back and that the player count is back to 2016 numbers.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 6, 2020
  9. Every skill the clans has is a champions skill, while there are some removed skills, the ones that are in clans are the same as the ones in champs.
    I really don't think that you should be forced to grind champions in order to use skills in a totally different game. Eventually, the code bases will separate, and clans will become even further distant to champs. I think it'd be unfair to wipe all the clans players skills and require them to play a game they may not want to play in order to earn them back.

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  10. I am planning to refine the bit on wiping the builds; however, the code bases will never be separate. No matter how much any Clans Management Team tries, Clans is built on Champions and looking at our current Developers, I don't think there is a good chance of Clans ever becoming Independent.

The only reason why Clans even still exists is that it's as old as Champions and Mineplex will not remove it due to its legacy as one of the surviving BetterMC games.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 7, 2020
    Young_Inventor likes this.
  11. Ignoring the odd underlining bolding and italicizing of that post, clans desperately needs to have separate code. Skills like whirlwind axe, overcharge, illusion, smoke bomb, and shield bash have been removed due to differences in how clans works compared to champions. The fact is, DOM and CTF are less popular games than clans, and they don't directly contribute to Mineplex's revenue. Clans does need to have a separate codebase from champions as the two games are different, and need different changes.

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  12. Clans does need a separate codebase from Champions; however, to say that DOM and CTF are less popular would be an overstatement.

Look at the player counts. DOM has a whole competitive league dedicated to it and CTF used to; however, Clans has never had a competitive league.

Also, Game Amplifiers, though available to every game, are direct revenue for Mineplex. Plus, the Skills you mentioned have NOTHING to do with how Clans' code works compared to Champions. It has to do with the fact that those Skills are unbalanced.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 7, 2020
  13. 1. DOM and CTF are definitely less popular than clans. DOM and CTF probably have 30-50 players on at all times, while clans matches that on the most popular server alone.
    2. A competitive league doesn't mean a game is popular, it just means that people want to play it competitively. Games like speed builders and build battle (or whatever it's called) don't have a competitive league to my knowledge, and are still quite popular.
    3. While yes, game amplifiers do directly generate money and are used on champs, they can and are used on almost every other game, while clans items are only used on clans. Not to mention all the Immortal perks designed towards clans players.
    4. While some of the skills that are removed are done so for balancing reasons, others aren't. Multiple glitches arise using skills like roped axe, napalm, Illusion, smoke bomb, takedown, and block toss due to the nature of how clans works compared with DOM and CTF. Even if all the skills that were removed were removed due to balancing issues, that in no means makes it alright. While overcharge longshot isn't a problem in champions, tower rangers required the skill to be changed in some form. But due to the connected code, they could only remove the skill.

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  14. Clans isn't terribly conducive to actual competitive leagues not to mention it's impossible to play in an MPS. I don't think this is a terribly useful argument.

However,
    This is misleading as the existence of the competitive leagues somewhat hides how many people play Dom. There's several hundred players on rosters in the CCL and all of this happens outside of public games, often within a private MPS. There's also a new CTF competitive league that's trying to gain footing, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

While I would like to see separate codebases, it's not going to happen. That's the final decision we've been given and it's not unreasonable--splitting it is ultimately more work for the dev teams and honestly it would be more confusing if the skills were different for games that are supposedly connected.

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  15. The thing is, which game takes precedence? Clans needs very different things than Champions, due to it being an open world game. Skills like overcharge, whirlwind axe, shield smash, and basically every assassin skill need changes to work in clans, even though they work fine in DOM. It's impossible to keep both communities happy, because both need different things. I feel it's even more confusing right now, as people who may main Illusion smokebomb assassin on champions will be unable to use their build at all in clans.

Posted Jul 8, 2020
  16. Currently we try to balance for both games. It's not ideal, but there are some overlaps in needs and we try to address those (e.g. overcharge is problematic in both games, so is block toss, etc).
    Personally I think that's less confusing than smokebomb having completely different mechanics in Clans from the mechanics in Dom.

Posted Jul 8, 2020
  17. Clans is already a completely different game than champions. It limits kit diversity when the only possibility of a problematic skill is a removal. There's no real reason aside from dev time why there shouldn't be a separate code base. I already feel like clans is too tied to CTF and DOM as it is, with them being separate games.

Posted Jul 8, 2020
  18. Look I don't disagree with you, but for practical reasons we're not getting separate code for the games.

If you haven't noticed, dev time is more or less the most scarce thing on the network right now.

Posted Jul 9, 2020