• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6594 Players Online
  • 3704 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

The Bridges Revamp

Discussion in 'Game Alterations' started by ezlee6, Aug 12, 2020.

1. GAMES LASTING TOO LONG
    It’s no secret that Bridges can be a long gamemode considering the timer is set to 50 minutes ten minutes after the bridges start to fall. All together that’s one hour of playing if a game drags out that long which doesn’t happen unless there’s a player running around the map forever trying to prolong the game. Which is something that’s very irritating to deal with. I play this gamemode regularly and have around 2700 games played. Through my experience, normally a game will take about 15-20 minutes after the bridges fall which is less than half of the time that the gamemode’s timer is for. There really isn’t a reason for the gamemode to be able to go on for that long and most people who play this gamemode on a normal basis like myself don’t want to wait that long for it to end. Sure we can leave but sometimes another lobby doesn’t have enough players to start the next game because the previous game is still going on due to it being prolonged. As I mentioned, games that drag out that long are from players running away. Some players want a fair 1v1, some players try to pick off the other team one by one, some do it to be annoying knowing they’re not going to win but troll, some players make bases in the air and so on. There’s many reasons why they decide to play that way and it’s not enjoyable for how long it can last. No one wants to wait an hour for a game to end, it’s draining and boring.

WHAT CAN BE DONE
    My suggestion is we cut the game time in half. Instead of ten minutes to get ready and mine, that can be changed to five minutes. Now you may think that’s not enough time but that leads me to my next suggestion. If we would only get five minutes to get ready and mine, our ores should auto smelt as we mine them instead of having to make a furnace. I’m normally done getting ready, mining, and smelting, with four minutes left. It’s different every time of course but it’s normally around four minutes which is a lot of extra time. I never do anything in that time. So now onto the game itself once the bridges fall. As I mentioned above, normally a game will take about 15-20 minutes after the bridges fall. Instead of 50 minutes to fight, that can be changed to 25 minutes. I’d rather wait 25 minutes than 50 minutes for a game to end. It’s easier to digest and not as annoying as if someone was prolonging the game just want a fair 1v1, pick others off, troll, and base. I’d rather deal with those people knowing that the timer was cut in half than deal with them for close to an hour.

CONCLUSION
    I feel like this would open the gamemode up more to typical players and casual players who know about it but are drifted from it. One response I tend to get when I ask players to play this gamemode with me is that it takes too long. They don’t want to get ready for 10 minutes and happen to die at the start of the game and wait close to an hour if it does proceed to go on for that long. It feels like a waste to them. Where if this gamemode is revamped with my suggestions stated above, it could take just as long as a Cake Wars game if it goes into Cake Rot. What do you think? Do you agree, disagree, or are you neutral? Is there anything you want to add on to this or change? I’m curious about what you think from people who play this gamemode.

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    Camull ✩, Laylq, oCassi and 8 others like this.
  2. Good suggestion. I've only played this a few times, my main putoff is the amount of time it takes, longer games typically mean I'm watching in spectator mode for most of it whilst another game won't start because lots of players are in one game. Faster pace games are much more interesting for players.

My main question though: how would you encourage people to stop running and how would you end the game to make people get closer to the centre? rather than just abruptly ending the game, for example:
    • dragons spawning?
    • crumble/corruption?
    • teleport into deathmatch?
    • border closing?

Posted Aug 12, 2020
  3. So brave of you to say something so controversial. I agree with all of it.

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    ezlee6 likes this.
  4. I've had thoughts on a border or some sort of death match but I don't think players would like that. For example if I'm in a 1v3 and I know I can be spread out through the map, I'd do that than be popped in a death match. With the less time we would have, it wouldn't be much of a hassle to deal with it because the game wouldn't be lasting for close to an hour.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 12, 2020
  5. I think that 5 minutes prep time is too short even if it is auto smelt. However, I think it should be lowered down to maybe 8 minutes without auto smelt. I think saying that most matches last 15-20 minutes after bridges fall is completely unrealistic in most cases. But I do agree that the time left after the bridges fall should be lowered.

Posted Aug 12, 2020
  6. Hello, someone please fix Bridges for your poor Mineplexians ):

The Bridges is a great game for both newcomers to Mineplex and sweats who just love flexing on the poor lads. I play the game frequently myself whenever multiple of my friends are on, and whenever we see certain people in the lobby we already know the game is going to last well over 30 minutes if we stay. It's no fun for experienced players to keep having to run marathons around the map because one person keeps running. Some suggestions of how this could be fixed could be for example the border closing, DM, ect. as mentioned above, or have it like in other games like in the minigames Spleef and Bacon Brawl, where after a certain amount of people start losing hunger and won't be able to regain it unless you hit another player (also meaning you can't eat normal food like apples/bread, but this is only a suggestion). Another suggestion would also be to nerf Berserker as a whole, but then I feel like people would just stop playing the game altogether. Lol.

And as our dear friend Lee here mentioned shortening the time for both the mining and fighting phase would be great for the game. Myself and other players often find ourselves sitting idle at my island for ~7 minutes because I'm both lazy and know that I can just get getter gear from the middle island. Removing the need of smelting your ores would be a great addition too.

Lastly, it would also be nice to make the rules to cross-teaming more clear, as your team getting targeted by two other teams trucing is not very nice ):):

also very nice essay lee gowan lad bless you how do i make a shield

[​IMG]

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    oCassi and ezlee6 like this.
  7. Fully agree w Kaz on this one, maybe shorten mining to 8 mins if necessary but 5 minutes seems to be too much, bc people who aren't zerk are gonna have to take a minute or so out of that to get the resources and that's assuming they understand gameplay initially but cutting time down after bridges spawn is good, idm if it's 25-30 mins

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    ezlee6 and user5f56690e9be41 like this.
  8. Hey, definitely some promising ideas here. Some of these issues were never commonplace in the BCL, but in pub they've always existed since the game was first released. Due to the timers placed in competitive matches, stalling isn't really a problem when played in MPS. Zerk leap being reduced was one of the changes brought about to reduce game stalling, but one of the best ways to stop this imo would just be to reduce the game timer. So I agree with that part, 25 minutes seems like an appropriate amount of time on the post-Bridges timer.

However, reducing the pre-bridges timer to 5 minutes would just not be enough time to prepare imo, even with auto-smelting. With a properly-coordinated team, all smelting can be done in 2 minutes most of the time. But that's with a proper team. Often teams can struggle with preparing in 10 minutes, most experienced players will have enough time to prepare though still. To reduce the preparation time by 5 minutes due to a change that would only potentially save players 2 minutes of work would be impractical imo. It needs to be considered that you still need time to mine etc, even with auto-smelt. Particularly with miner kit, 10 minutes is a perfect amount of time to exhaust the island of diamonds for yourself and team-mates, some might even argue that it's currently too short as miners could often carry on mining and still pick up scans past the 10 minutes mark. For competitive (as well as public) games, it's better imo if people have time to prepare everything - gathering soups, stacking their team with as much diamonds as possible and so on. I feel as though shortening the preparation timer would just lead to further annoyance when players feel as though they've not had enough time to prepare. The required preparation time will vary for different kits, and this change would just lean heavily in favour of the zerk kit (who don't need that long to get full iron), but would ruin it for other kits who need more time than this to prepare, for example Archer which needs time to gather flint + feathers to craft arrows. Therefore I believe that the 10 minute pre-Bridges timer should remain as it is.

I do like the idea of auto-smelting due to the QoL improvements brought with it, although some of the classic mining and smelting might take away part of the original parts of the game.. and that could ruin it for some players who have been playing for years. In my opinion, auto-smelting can do more good than harm so I'm up for it, but thought I would voice some of these slight concerns.

Great ideas overall, but as stated above my only problem is with the pre-Bridges timer being shortened.

Hey, I thought I'd also comment on this. Bridges has never been a fast-paced game, and it would ruin the dynamic of the game to adapt the whole game to make everything more fast-paced. It's always been a fairly simple gamemode, and to overcomplicate it by spawning in dragons or deathmatch would just ruin it imo. I've rarely ever seen games being stalled right until the end of the timer, so introducing crumble/deathmatch would just ruin the uniqueness of the game. It's not always so easy to just run for the whole game due to the style of maps; usually a team can work together to corner off a runner. Obviously if it boils down to a 1v1 at the end (which is usually rare in BR), with neither kit zerk, then games can be stalled but this is very rare. Halving the game timer would fix this problem itself. Most of the time, whilst the default kit for new players is Appler, more experienced players will always play Berserker, which is difficult to run from due to the leap in the kit. Even if it came to a 1v1 with 2 players each playing Berserker, the chaser would eventually catch up to the runner, as the chaser would be hitting the runner to gain back leaps, but the runner would eventually run out of leaps. So in my opinion, whilst there is merit in those suggestions, the way the game ends is fine the way it is currently.

Good luck with getting your idea implemented!

Posted Aug 12, 2020
  9. Yes, I do see that it seems like it would be better if the pre-game time stood as it as. You both make good points and I agree with you.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 12, 2020
    user5f56690e9be41 and Disgruntle like this.
  10. as a pro bridges player like myself oh yes I agree cause I'm lazy and don't feel like making furnaces half the time so auto smelting yes yes and i agree with the rest I just am not that intellectual with words to describe my feelings towards this BUT YES MINEPLEX DO THIS!!

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    oCassi and ezlee6 like this.
  11. It’s my bday today :/

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    BadgerInASuit likes this.
  12. woah queen

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    oCassi likes this.
  13. I agree with shortening the game however I think that 5 minutes would be too short and like what Kaz said 8 minutes seems more reasonable with or without auto smelt.

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    ezlee6 and YourLocalStalker like this.
  14. I personally agree with ezlee6. The time left after bridges drop can be too much at times. The Bridges has a naturally extremely competitive aspect to itself hence the reason people tryhard and will spend a huge amount of time attempting to win. 2 final players could make the game last longer so much longer than it needs to; this lessens the number of lobbies available for other players and does not cooperate well with impatient people. As mentioned above, I too believe the time should be cut in half as it will make gameplay more efficient for all players.

I agree with the implementation of auto smelting, however, I disagree with the 5 minute preparation time period as in my eyes, it can be a disadvantage to people playing kits such as miner or bomber. It would lessen the amount of diamonds a team can get and could make BCL (a huge part of Mineplex) unplayable. As for bomber, you only get 1 TNT every 30 seconds, which would also make it hard for the players using such kits to get stacked. In my opinion, 8 minutes should be the minimum if changes are made.

Great thread and ideas, Lee.

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    ezlee6 likes this.
  15. Hiya!

In my opinion I like the current state of Bridges and I'm sure a lot of people can agree with that. The only thing that can get annoying and tiresome sometimes is the fact that players will prolong the game by running around the map. However, In my experience I do not experience the prolonging of games too often where I think there absolutely needs to be a change.

Diving into the ideas suggested, I do not think that shortening the mining time is such a great idea. If you shorten the mining time, a lot of players will not be able to get the supplies they need and that could be really problematic, it could possibly even make players quit the game entirely. I also do not agree with ores being auto smelted. Playing Bridges is all about the preparation before the bridges drop, mining and smelting is all part of that process, and removing it, Bridges would not feel same. If the ideas suggested would be implemented, it would heavily mess with competitive as a whole as well, which isn't good at all. Introducing a border would eliminate all other strategies in the game which destroys the point of Bridges and since the game is all about strategies, implementing something like this would ruin a huge part of the player base.

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    ezlee6, Young_Inventor and Bobert2013 like this.
  16. Heyo!

I like this idea! I love Bridges and it's awesome, except times where it gets borderline toxic, and especially the basing. I don't want Bridges to ever come to an end, and shortening the time, and even having auto smelt were my key likings.
    The time short, can be perhaps 30 mins! I am fine with 25 as well, it's just a suggestion that can be worked around. I can say 5 minutes isn't bad at all either. It's good, can be 6 minutes which might be even better. The extra minute can do wonders to a game.
    Auto smelt is great for more efficient gameplay. 10 mins is a good bit of time, after playing the game for so long, you would notice how you don't need those extra 3-4 minutes. Some time already goes to waste from smelting.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this post and seeing how Bridges could use a little update. I can see potential of player increase in the gamemode, more games, and possibly improvement of the community's likings of getting to play the gamemode more!
    Good luck I hope this idea works out <3

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    ezlee6 likes this.
  17. Hey!

I dont play Bridges often but with the changes that you introduced, I would give it another try. I don't agree with shortening the pre-bridge time to 5 minutes because even with the 10 minutes that's in the game now, I still find myself sometimes not being ready. However, if it was shortened to 7 minutes with auto smelt, I feel like that is a good amount of time to give players enough time to get armor/weapons and to be ready when the bridges fall. I agree with shortening the time from 50 minutes to 25 minutes because I think 50 minutes is excessive and shortening it would force players to fight faster, therefore allowing more games to be played.
    I also think this is a good idea as it would eliminate the option for players to continuously run around and stall the game.

Posted Aug 12, 2020
    ezlee6 likes this.