• 2249 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4333 Players Online
  • 2084 Players on Bedrock
  • us.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

The Tragic State and Decline of Mineplex - An Invitation to Honesty

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by gavin1214, Oct 21, 2019.

1. I'm writing this thread here as a call for answers - a demand for justice. I'm here writing for the substantially large amount of players who want to know just what is going on with the server - those of us who cannot any longer ignore these gross issues that have slowly (but surely) whittled down what used to be the best server in all of Minecraft to its current state. No longer can some of us stand by and watch the server we love to play on become any more tarnished then it already is while our so called "staff" seemingly attempt to endlessly reassure us that everything is peaches and roses. We've spent far too long asking, begging even, to get back the server we once loved. The server we could come home from school to, could escape to from our problems to, the server a lot of us grew up with.

Every year we are subject to the same recycled, non-unique seasonal games with not a lot of creativity put into them. Furthermore, the community is starving from a lack of new games or updates. Our dev team only consists of five developers! And lastly, hackers and toxic players are running rampant on the server more and more as time goes on. We've been informed by many people (whether it be on the forums or in-game) to just report these people, but this does not correct the issue at hand! It merely only "puts a band aid on a bullet wound". So my invitation is this -

We the players have witnessed staff defend this server in a plethora of ways. Dodging logical bullets left and right, the staff have deployed every conceivable recommendation for tolerating the server. I want to openly ask any staff member reading this to give their honest answer. Do you truly believe the server is being run correctly? Do you believe that we don't need to change up the core processes from which growth and updates on the server originate? Do you believe the way the server is being run is acceptable? How do you feel about the way things are going for the server? Please take a look at the state of the server honestly. If you truly do care about what we have here please do not write some positive-encrusted message that's designed to hush the worries of players; I'm only asking for truthful answers.

Best regards,
    gavin1214

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  2. Gavin, I can clearly see where you are coming from when you were writing this thread. I hate to admit it but every year Mineplex slowly declines in players and it's honestly really sad to see because this server used to be pretty popular, it still has thousands of players but nowhere near as much as it used to have. One of the main issues that caused the decline in players was the anti-cheat GWEN. As it doesn't have a Dev at the moment it has seemed to make many mistakes in banning legit players and blatantly ignoring hackers, on many occasions I've clearly seen players hacking in games such as Survival Games and GWEN didn't even do anything. I would love it if a Dev was assigned to GWEN and I'm sure that Mineplex is trying their best to find a new Developer for GWEN as we speak. Let's hope that Mineplex will be able to redeem themselves as this server used to be one of the most popular servers ever and I'd hate to see it die.
    - TheProTroller

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    saltyfishhy and gavin1214 like this.
  3. damn. nothing else. just wow.

i mean tbf we've all been thinking along these lines for quite some time, you were the guy that finally hit send :v

inb4 locked for "not contributing to the happiness of the troposphere" or something

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    Crash, Qlout, KarmaCallama and 2 others like this.
  4. Overdramatizing aside, do you think staff members that openly discuss their opinions on the server's incompetence will remain staff members?
    I'm not saying I disagree (far from it), just keep that in mind.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    Crash, Qlout, Mitchy and 2 others like this.
  5. Agreeing with the sentiment here. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't believe in the decline at this point, in spite of the facade many people put up (many staff members included).

With that being said, I think the main issue here is the lack of developer resources. It's bottlenecked production to the point where even the most obviously beneficial suggestions are put so far behind on the priorities list/backburner that seeing them actually on the server is unlikely. To be clear, this doesn't by any means absolve Mineplex of its past mistakes, including developmental ones; plenty of things should have been updated and fixed by now. Bugs, game updates, quality of life changes, et cetera. But the point remains that this lack of resources isn't an easy fix. We can't really point at Mineplex and say, "Get more developers!" because that is not something they can control (not that you have said this of course). People have to choose to apply. And would people apply to a server that has a bad reputation, such as Mineplex? A server where pay may be inferior to pay elsewhere? A server where "Chiss-era code" results in an uphill battle? Generally speaking, no. They don't want to do that. So I think what we're stuck with at the moment is a hole that Mineplex largely dug itself into but can't get out of due to no *current* fault of its own. And it sucks for everyone involved. I'm sure even the higher-ups are frustrated with it.

In truth, I don't think staff members are going to give their "true thoughts" on this thread. People generally (staff members and community members) stay away from threads like these- threads that point out a big issue, or big issues, and ask for thoughtful responses. They'd much rather indulge in surveys that lead nowhere. The staff that do respond will likely have a lot to say to the contrary of your premise. I can't say I blame staff for not responding, though. People have been demoted for public disagreement and less before.

Finally, one suggestion I'd make for any future threads is to provide specific solutions to the issues at hand. It's often easy to bring up issues. It takes a little more time and thought to think of what can be done to remedy those problems. Overall, though- nice thread. Well explained, and I can tell you truly do care about what Mineplex has become.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    Crash, florence, Dallarth and 5 others like this.
  6. Honestly the fact that mineplex has so little developers just means that those in charge only care about the money, I'm sure that mineplex makes tons of rank and chest sales, and must be extremely profitable. I doubt that there are so few developers that mineplex just can't seem to find any, I bet that there are even community members who would be willing to help out the server for free.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  7. I can see where you’re coming from. For the past year or so, you’re right. Mineplex has been on a decline. Player counts are not anywhere they used to be. But they have stayed about the same for a long time. Sure, I think there might be a few issues in the staff team, and as someone who has never participated in the staff team, I can’t tell you what or list out the problems one by one.

But by far, our biggest problem, is something completely out of everyone’s hands. I have never participated on the developer team either, but I can tell you they’re working their hardest. The LT and Owners quite literally invest money into the devs. And I can promise you if mineplex’s money is going to the devs, then they’re doing a good job. Mineplex wouldn’t pay a dev to do nothing. Sure we could use new games, new cosmetics, new updates in general. But maintaining the server as it is harder than you think. The developer team is so small that LT and Owners have had to step up and fill positions. The developer team needs people so that they can do more than just maintain the server. Sure, it’s sad. Mineplex isn’t at its height anymore, and I say that with great sadness. But that does not mean the server is “dying” or “dead.” It simply means that it’s in a decline right now. I’m Sure that if we give the owners and developers some time, we will be back again.

I’m sure there are more issues than just this, but these are the mains ones that are causing most of our issues. The best way to make a change in the community is to step up. Take in responsibility. Become trainee. You got extra coding skills? Join the dev team! I mean that as nice as I can be, but it’s the best way to make a change in this community.

Thanks for making this thread and giving us the opportunity to have a discussion about it.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    Xukuri likes this.
  8. Hey!

I can see where the creator of this post is going and where all of the replies are going, I don't want to admit this either but I do see the player count on Mineplex decreasing. I also agree that it's with the fact that there are very few developers and maybe if Mineplex had more developers it would be able to see more players in it's player count over the next few months after they get more developers. I agree with salty as well, this doesn't mean Mineplex is dead it just means that Mineplex is at a decline of players at the moment and I'm sure we will have another incline probably in November or December this month, or 2020. This forum saddens me to talk about this topic but I know that the decline in players won't go on for that much longer and more players will hopefully start playing Mineplex again very soon.

Thanks for creating this forum, have a good day!

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  9. Why are you so sure there will be another increase? Mineplex hardly gained any players during the summer boom, why would people join in November?

On the topic of devs, if mineplex cannot afford to hire more full time devs, why not hire some volunteer ones or start up that JrDev thing they used to have?

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    Xukuri likes this.
  10. Hey there! I appreciate what you said, but the problem is that no one that has the skills to be a dev or Jr Dev is applying, or people that are applying don’t meet requirements. Finding a new dev that will fulfill the requirements is hard, and I don’t expect mineplex to lower their standards. Ultimately mineplex is performing well, and although there isn’t much new content, the server still works well for what it is.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  11. Heya!

Firstly, I'd like to clear things up, I'll start by saying that yes, even though our dev team consists of 5 developers, but the leaders like AlexTheCoder and OneThousand (not entirely sure on BlueBeetleHD) also help with developing stuff. Also to further on that point I just made don't forget we have both a java AND bedrock platform we gotta look after, manage and maintain. Also, I think people are COMPLETELY overlooking that we do have a bedrock server! Bedrock has more players than java so meaning it's not to say that some java players didn't move to bedrock for convenience or to play with their friends cross-platform so it's not much of a server decline rather than a "server migration". And don't forget we are always looking for new talent here on mineplex and you get paid! If there are any coders out there please feel free by all means to apply for a plugin developer or maybe an anti-cheat developer at jobs.mineplex.com :D

Don't get me wrong though, your post does make some decent arguments and I would be lying to say that Mineplex over the years has experienced a decline but thats not stopping us from trying to deliver a quality experience to our players, every staff here is open to reports either it be via the StaffRequest community or by /report and will address your concern as soon as we are available to do so. It's not that we try to "dodge logical bullets", we simply offering a "sober outlook" on things, in other words, we say that things aren't bad because if you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, Mineplex, while smaller than it's glory days is still very much alive and thriving, and the community tries to compare mineplex right now to what it was 5 years ago which isn't a good thing to do and is the main problem. Everything in life has a rise, a peak and a fall, and to say mineplex will reign superior as the number 1 server 100% of the time would be a lie. This doesn't mean again that Mineplex is "dead" like people are thinking. Add up the bedrock and Java numbers and that a large player count don't you think?

As for the same recycled seasonal minigame, relates to the whole "5 man dev team" argument and I'd have to agree, although our dev team is very talented we just don't have the manpower to pump out brand new, coded from the ground up seasonal minigames at a fast pace while also trying to deal with your other point about the hackers because we don't have a dedicated anti-cheat dev as we used to we are sort of forced to choose either game updates, anti cheat, quality of life improvements or bug updates, and some things you don't even notice have gotten better but a lot goes on behind the scenes to make mineplex what it is.

If you take a step back, Mineplex is still a very large server compared to other servers out there, even though it isn't as big as it once was there is still a very lively and thriving community of some of the best people I've ever met, and yes not everybody is here to make the community better or be nice, a large majority of players (me included) still see this as the server they grew up on and that's why they love the server.

So to conclude I'm sorry that you feel this way about the current state of the server but in my opinion, you won't find a better community of awesome people to talk to anywhere else. This is the only server I've seen where normal players bother to respond to help threads within like 10 minutes they are posted which shows that even though smaller, the community is still here and willing to help and do their part to make the server better. Would you rather have a large community of "toxic" people or a smaller community of the best people you ever met? Quantity isn't always better than quality and Mineplex in my opinion has a bit of both, sorta hit the sweet spot if you wanna say that.

I was supposed to be writing an English essay but I ended up writing this instead because I care about this post more than what Shakesphere did soooo I better get on that... or maybe I'll just submit this reply instead and call it an essay? Anyways I'll stop talking now. I hope you can try to see things from my point of view and value Mineplex for what it is now and not what it was.

Byeeee :D

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  12. Hello~~~

I've recently seen a few of these posts saying how Mineplex isn't as good as it would be, and I agree. The Trainees' and
    Moderators' are great, and I am extremely happy that they are trying their best to help this server. Most of them do a great job in moderating, helping, etc. I'm pretty sure a lot of them can't say exactly how they feel, because they are under rules that prevent them to say certain things, but take that with a grain of salt because i'm not 100% sure.

As many players are stating above. The main problem with Mineplex and it's fall is it's Development. The developers I assume do their best to help the server out, but there is few developers on the team. The amount of developers is obviously lacking and I hope that they will get some new developers. I don't think it's 100% their fault for not having as many developers as they do, since they need people to apply for developer, and if nobody applies then they can't really get any new ones. I hope the developers are doing their best to help with the updates, and etc.

There has also not been any Anti Cheat (Gwen) Update in awhile. I have to agree that the Anti Cheat isn't the best, and it does lack many things. A lot of the times a moderator/trainee will deal with hackers, and I commend them for doing their best.

I agree that the lack of development isn't that good. I think everybody knows that Mineplex obviously has a lack of something from going to 40k to 1-3k players, and a lot of people don't want to speak on it. I'm happy that some people want to have a voice in this. A lot of the the time people will say this isn't the best way to approach this and instead try to ask for help directly to someone. I'll have to disagree, because at this point I think someone needs to say something and see how many people agree with the statement.

I'm not saying Mineplex is a bad server to have fun on. I'm saying that it has a lack of development. I personally still have a love for this server and that's why I still play on it.

Posted Oct 21, 2019,
    Last edited Oct 21, 2019
  13. Mineplex is still alive. It has an average of what, 1-2k players? It was much more popular a long, long time ago, so it did and still does have some high/decent expectations. I see a lot of people enjoy these seasonal events. I do believe some things can/should change, and the state is not as good as it was before. Peace.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  14. Your reply is very well put, and I think perfectly sums up the situation! Thanks!

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    little_dude_9000 and Kyuine like this.
  15. It is not performing "well". The player count continues to drop and updates are virtually non-existent. I don't see a problem in hiring some less experienced developers for certain simple tasks.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  16. who said something about "nobody qualified is applying"? someone wanna remind me how many times Mykindos applied and never got a single word in response?

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    Crash, Mitchy and neropatti like this.
  17. Player count isnt dropping. And I could be wrong maybe no one is applying. Either way, we’re short on devs.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  18. Just want to start off by saying thanks for pointing this out. Many of us, including myself probably didn’t know how to approach this topic or concern without getting punished for god knows what reason.

Understand, you have EXTREME valid questions but staff aren’t allowed to answer this, without getting consequences. That’s why they speak about this “internally with administration” or “team leads”. It’s unfortunate they can’t really give an opinion about how their higher-ups are running it... because they’re on the staff team & it’s a PR thing they want to avoid.

Posted Oct 21, 2019
  19. Yes it is dropping, stop ignoring facts. The player count at peak times on weekends was 3-4k from June-September and this week it has dropped to under 2.5k on both Saturday and Sunday afternoon

Posted Oct 21, 2019
    saltyfishhy likes this.
  20. I would argue that the player count fluctuates. Sure it’s in a state of decline right now. But during January of 2018 it was even less than it is now. Things change. After last year, the count trended up. Now it’s trending down. Mineplex isn’t “dying” and I feel that’s especially proved by the fact that people like you and me are willing to come to the forums to discuss that. People are still interested in Mineplex, and even though the average player count is down right now, that doesn’t mean it’s down for good. In my opinion, mineplex is either inclining or soon to incline. People that I haven’t seen in forevermore are coming back, arcade games are back, and people seem genuinely more interested. The player count may not be the highest in the world but the community cares. To me that’s all that matters.

Posted Oct 21, 2019