• 678 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 9923 Players Online
  • 9245 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

In Discussion Translations Team: New Language Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Idea Discussion' started by Vocaloiid, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Ever since the Mineplex Translations team was created, I wanted to contribute. I really would love to translate Arabic, Ik there were some people I think Tours and Hqmza in the past that were translators and I know that the language isn't available yet on the bedrock edition but if we contribute now and as soon as the language gets released in Minecraft, Mineplex could be the first server to have translated their server to Arabic completely. I'm sure they'll add it soon as Arabic is spoken across 25 different countries with 420 million speakers.

Posted Sep 7, 2019
    Tobias likes this.
  2. Turkish and Korean were just added! Feel free to apply if you think you know either of those two!
    We wanted to add Arabic actually, but due to that same reason (not available on the menu) we can't add it for the time being.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 30, 2019
    Korca, Tobias, Hxmza and 1 other person like this.
  3. This is pretty exciting! Having been a former member of Translations for Canadian French, I can say it's really neat to see that Mineplex offers their experience to players in languages they are more comfortable with. Some languages I could see being added to the list are:

- Arabic 100% (I think that would be a very big market)
    - I see players talking in Serbian (or other Balkan languages) quite frequently, not sure if Croatian would be similar though.
    - Possibly Hebrew? I've seen players and former staff from Israel or who spoke Hebrew.

I am a big supporter of adding new languages though, diversity is always better in my eyes and I think the adding of new languages could also serve as an excellent marketing opportunity to try and attract some new players as well! :)

Posted Sep 30, 2019
    Tobias, Hxmza and lili :) like this.
  4. Because my native language is actually Serbian, I can confidently say thay Croatian is similar to other languages from Balkan region (except greek duh). I don’t think adding other languages from the region is necessary in my opinion, and I’m not sure if there would be enough people who would find their language interesting to translate.

Posted Sep 30, 2019
    Vocaloiid, Look_Dan, Klobby and 3 others like this.
  5. Hey Dan, so glad to have your input on this as well!

As stated by Voca, Minecraft currently does not support Arabic and therefore we cannot translate it. In terms of Hebrew (which is supported), like most Semitic languages it is read from right to left, which will require an alternative text implementation within the network. It might be possible, especially if the demand is high enough. Fear not however, we will not forget neither of these languages, so thank you for your input. :)

Posted Sep 30, 2019
    Look_Dan and Vocaloiid like this.
  6. I think Thai should be added. Thailand is the 20th most populated country so I can assure you people speak that quite a bit. The country is also a popular vacation destination so finding translators for that language would not be the most difficult task since travelers will have learnt at least basic Thai. I am currently trying to brush up on that language on paper and orally, if that is persuading.

Report a User | Report a Bug | Apply For Java Trainee | Rules| My Profile

Posted Sep 30, 2019
    Tobias likes this.
  7. Why is Swedish and Norwegian translation a thing everyone there already knows English

Posted Sep 30, 2019
  8. You gotta consider the rural people too

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Sep 30, 2019
  9. The only rural people there that speak bad English are either 5 or 60. Doesn't seem like there would be much of a demand for it as the countries are both very small anyways.

Posted Sep 30, 2019
    tenorj likes this.
  10. Yeah I speak Hebrew and would be happy to translate.

Posted Oct 1, 2019
  11. If you honestly think Sweden is small then you’ve got an issue buddy. If the Management has decided there should be a Swedish team then there will be one. I certainly won’t think about disbanding the team and I sure hope they others won’t. There are people here in Sweden who prefers Swedish more than English. So don’t complain about what languages should be in or not. Thank you for your time :)

Posted Oct 1, 2019
  12. That is one of the most narrow-minded statements I have ever seen in this server, which can personally only come from someone who has no experience with translations and the language barriers you can find in any language.
    Starting off, I myself am a decently capable English speaker, yet my first language isn't English, it's Italian. Simply because I speak English well and I studied it for 18 years of my life, doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer interacting with anybody or reading stuff in my everyday language.
    Plus, not everyone is fluent or comfortable with another language as their native one. For example, you can understand it and everything, but sometimes words can come off as difficult to comprehend because of vocab you don't know. So why putting people in a difficult situation when you could have it all in your native language?

Also, don't forget that this is a game and server for kids mainly, and I don't know you but I wasn't nearly as fluent in English as I am now when I was 10. Heck I wasn't even when I was 14 lol. So please, be more respectful towards people whose main language isn't English, as there are multiple language barriers they can find along the way, and we have a great way to provide an excellent experience for those that play Bedrock that cannot speak English as fluently, and would like to play and have fun like any regular English speaker.

Posted Oct 1, 2019
    Vocaloiid, Tea, Tobias and 1 other person like this.
  13. I'll just come with my input as well since I understand your argument (coming from a Dane).

I don't know about Sweden or Norway but, in Denmark, children are taught English at the age of seven/eight. Or, let me rephrase; they are starting to have an affiliation with the language at that age - it will be a lot of years before the children will be fluent in the language.

I will say that working as a teacher has taught me that even 10-year-olds can be completely fluent in English, but that is, without a doubt, far from everyone. Usually, the young children who are fluent will have another background that allows them to develop their language skills more easily (including English-speaking parents). The ones who don't will most likely spend more time learning the language, and a lot of players won't even get to the point of being fluent.

The children who are learning English (in the age group 6-10+) are also a part of the demographic on our server, and if they find it difficult to play or understand the server because of their inexperience with English, why shouldn't we help them? We cannot argue for the adult part of our demographic, unless they live in a country which doesn't teach English at all - and that would be highly unlikely at this point (if they have access to a playing-device that is).

Both Lili and I have talked about this before; if we can help some players, why shouldn't we? A common misconception is that we do this for the 10,000 players on the network, but that's not entirely true. We are working for a minority, and we are fully aware of that.

At last, I would like to ask a retorical question: Why do some Norwegian, Swedish or Danish authors write in their native language if English happens to be the lingua franca anyway?
    - The short answer: It's easier to comprehend text written in your native tongue.

- The long answer: Culture. The relation you have with your own culture and your native language is so strong that, in most cases, you will want to talk in your own language when confronted with text or specific situations that require some other level than just 'basic' understanding. Why? Because it's so, so much easier. Our native tongue is the manifestation of a comfort zone in most communicate scenarios, and it is the one we go back to whenever we can. As humans, we love cutting corners, and when we are able to do that by utilizing our native language, we do so. It's familiar to us, and we all love familiar things, don't we?

I hope this makes sense @KarmaCallama - your question was very relevant and I am happy that you asked. It's a question that pops up quite frequently (even in my own mind), and it deserves to be talked about.

Posted Oct 1, 2019,
    Last edited Oct 1, 2019
    Vocaloiid and coralines like this.
  14. Not valid to compare English abilities of Swedes/Norwegians and Italians. Scandinavians besides maybe Denmark speak far better english than the rest of the EU besides maybe the Dutch. Italians on the other hand struggle with English partly because of worse education plus it's a Romance language not Germanic
    --- Post updated ---
    LOL it is small. India has over a billion people and no translation team. Sweden has like 9 mil. A bunch of US states have more population than that

Posted Oct 1, 2019
  15. I fail to see the relevance of that. Even if we assume that Norwegians and Swedes are better than the average Italian (and I will not be the one to determine whether this is true or false) when it comes to speaking English, I still don't see any native-Norwegians speaking English with their parents, even if the parents are fluent. I can assure you that, no matter how many native-Scandinavians (with native parents) you ask, you will always find that they speak their native tongue with their parents - as Cora and myself have stated, it is about the culture and the comfort zone.

In some cases, I will find myself having thoughts in English, but most of the time, I think in Danish (yep, the little voice in my head, it's you whom I am addressing right now). It's much less of a hazzle for me to read a Danish news article as opposed to reading an English one.

And then there's the good ol' humor. You cannot translate humor, and the ones who say that you can get the exact same "100% hahah, that was funny, you fella" experience probably haven't tried it before.
    -
    On Mineplex we get to translate achievement titles/descriptions, seasonal event puns, and other similar jokes. I can assure you that, no matter how hard we try, we cannot directly translate the pun/joke and get the same fun out of it. So, what do we do? We find a similar phrase from our own language, or we rewrite the sentence completely in order to appeal to our native audience.
    There is a very clear line here, and I will stand my ground on this. Translating something has its limitations or sacrifices, but being able to write something that can give the aforementioned feeling to our foreign players is probably one of the biggest reasons as to why we continue translating, for example, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian despite their citizens being quite proffecient in English.

I hope this makes sense to not only you but to everybody else who's reading along. We do not want to lose that cultural aspect between the glass (of varying thickness, may I add) that separates two languages. This is why we continue - this is why we translate.

Posted Oct 2, 2019
    coralines and Vocaloiid like this.
  16. I think maybe Slovak should be added. I'm sure there are a pretty good number of people out there that speak it and would like to see the language added.

Posted Oct 3, 2019
    Klobby and Tobias like this.
  17. It’s funny because all the Italian people I’ve become friends with through Mineplex speak great English so I don’t exactly know where your source comes from, maybe a friend of yours? Language high schools have become extremely popular over the past years, so once again, I fail to see why we should be the ones with a worse system than any other country. Not trying to defend it, I know the system is flawed in multiple ways, but I had great teachers for all 6 languages I’ve studied over the years and I also wouldn’t have reached my current level without their help, therefore I cannot seem to understand how your point can be considered adequate or appropriate if you have never studied in Italy, or even lived here.

Anyways... It still doesn’t change the fact that you’re using excuses and trying to devalue an overall service that Mineplex is providing to their multicultural playerbase. Like I said before, these types of statements only come from people who either don’t know how important the world of translations is, or simply speak English as their first language and never tried to learn a new one. Either or, be grateful that the company/server is providing such a great service for an immense number of players. We never received any complaints in over three years of translations, so where’s the issue with us providing a much more enjoyable experience for those whose main language isn’t English, with something as small as translations?
    Plus, I feel like I’m being repetitive at this point, but majority of people playing bedrock are extremely young, without enough understanding of a foreign language to understand some jokes and puns without asking for help or looking it up. Small things, man. These are all small things that are considered quality of life additions.

Posted Oct 4, 2019
    Tobias and ZainM like this.
  18. American language school :weary:

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Oct 4, 2019
  19. I would like to see Czech being added. It's a commonly spoken language in central Europe with about 15+ mil speakers. It's also already supported by the Minecraft bedrock edition so it's possible to translate the server to it at any time. The language itself is also very identical to Slovak language, and about half of Slovakians speak Czech as their second language. So Slovakian players would be also able to make use of this translation. I know it's been suggested in the past but I would really love to see it being added in the near future as It would allow me to finally have a chance at becoming a TT translator and I would be able to experience playing mineplex with my native language being supported (I speak both Slovak and Czech fluently)

(Yeah I know this is technically a necro-post but this is still official TT post so I hope it doesn't count)

Posted Nov 13, 2019,
    Last edited Nov 13, 2019
  20. @KarmaCallama I'd like to respond to your statements made. It's a bit late but I often don't come around to the forums. A simple answer? It's a lot more comfortable and inviting for some people to speak their native language. Just because someone learns a language does not mean they need to speak it, nor should they be limited to it if there's a demand for the translations! :) Please be open-minded when making comments like you did.

Posted Nov 16, 2019
    Tobias and Vocaloiid like this.