• 3201 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 12484 Players Online
  • 9283 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Not Planned Typing Notification

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Mathuu, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello everyone!

I was recently on the forums, and noticed that sometimes, there are 3 people typing at the same time, and then if you are typing a whole lot, you will notice that other people have replied to the thread, or a Mod has replied, and locked the thread. Then, all of your writing, is gone! I had a simple idea, add a little notification, that would let other players know that someone else is typing already. It could look something like this.

<username> is typing...

This can be helpful by reminding players that someone has already got to this thread, and that they are typing. I'm not saying they cannot put any replies, unless there is information that has been left out. Thought this would be helpful, as other players and I have encountered this, numerous times.

Have a great day!

Posted Apr 3, 2020
  2. Hi!

This is such a great idea! I think its implementation can bring so much more convenience to the forums as a whole.

VernCow~

Posted Apr 3, 2020
    Wow xd Lord lol and Mathuu like this.
  3. I think this is a good idea, but I don't know how doable this is considering that would require a constant live updating of the website. If it's not a problem to implement, I'm all for it! I definitely understand your point.

Posted Apr 3, 2020
  4. I'm not 100% sure if this is doable, especially that you need to refresh the page to see the posts popping up currently. Meaning we would have to re-write some of or the whole system and it would actually probably end up making the forums laggy. In theory, it's nice, but it probably won't be very nice to actually have.

Posted Apr 3, 2020
  5. They have this on brainly, Its good for cheating on online school

Posted Apr 3, 2020
    lohra likes this.
  6. This would be a good idea if it was implemented, it could be similar to the Discord typing notification where a small little popup could appear saying that somebody is currently replying to the thread.

Posted Apr 3, 2020
  7. cool

Posted Apr 3, 2020,
    Last edited Apr 29, 2020
  8. The developers that work on the server don't also develop the website. There is a web developer (Wanderer) that makes the website. It wouldn't take any time away from game updates.

Posted Apr 3, 2020
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  9. they should j make a game instead, been getting bored of mineplex and Minecraft in general, but a new game would be cool

Posted Apr 3, 2020
  10. Forum development has nothing to do with game development, as the lovely @Xukuwu put it:

And as for the idea itself, meh. The forums aren't really designed to have conversations like Discord, it's designed for higher-level discussion. And besides, if the thread's going to be locked, it's because the thread no longer serves any purpose. You shouldn't be replying anyway. Sure, your writing might be gone, but is that worse than unnecessarily replying, aka post boosting?

And I don't even see how the idea would stop people losing their writing! "The thread is now locked, so you can't reply" is just as annoying as "Someone is typing", and then "The thread is now locked, so you can't reply".

What would be the effects of the idea, other than a laggier forums?

Posted Apr 4, 2020
  11. I really like the idea, but I personally don't see this as something that occurs often. The odds of you responding to a thread while a Moderator is locking it is very slim. If the Moderator is locking it there really is no point for you to be commenting on the thread because the question was already answers or the situation was dealt with. Just an opinion! I would love to see it happen if they could get it done though!

Have a good day!

Posted Apr 4, 2020
    KerbalBoy likes this.
  12. I do like this idea, but I do think it would cause more problems (forum lag, bugs, etc) then it would help. It is a good idea if it can be implemented without any failures or negative changes, which is extremely rare.

Posted Apr 4, 2020
    Mathuu likes this.
  13. Hey there!
    Mineplex, in my opinion, has always tried to keep it's community connected through a social-media like platform. There are a few issues that may pop up with this, some that @Marzie already mentioned. This idea really would make the website feel more familiar and would certainly create a very friendly atmosphere in my opinion, seeing as though that we do enjoy messaging friends and seeing the texting icon, but in all reality, this is a website and not really a messenger app. I think that it would've been more fit in other case scenarios, perhaps the messaging system instead?

I liked your idea, for sure. My only concern is that the coding for this would be extremely difficult, and as Marzie said, there would be major script changes made for this. I'd like to see this in the messaging system instead. It would be much easier (in theory) and would make more sense. [​IMG]

Posted Apr 4, 2020
    Mathuu likes this.
  14. I'm not sure how much of a fan of this I am for the forums. For me, there are times where I want to create a reply to a thread and leave it for a little bit before responding. Having it show that I am typing for an hour would be insane, because sometimes my replies are not even that long but I still waited for it to be posted to allow for more discussion, clarification, etc. For things like Help Section threads, it could be nice since those can get sniped easily, most threads simply are not locked outside the Help Section. The Forums also is not like Discord where conversation is always continuous, it's more of a place to allow for further discussion over a period of time instead getting instant responses.

Posted Apr 4, 2020
    V3riity, Mathuu and xGetRekted like this.
  15. i hate refreshing my page omg stop please add this +1

Posted Apr 4, 2020
  16. Thanks for the suggestion/idea! Unfortunately, we find it too complicated to add in and very unnecessary to have. We'll be giving this the not planned tag and locking it as we don't see it to be a thing for the future. Message me with questions or concerns.

Posted May 28, 2020 at 3:13 PM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.