• 0 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2579 Players Online
  • 2579 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

VPN usage on clans part 2

Discussion in 'Clans' started by LordOfTeeth, Jan 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    • Reverse Staff Action
    So my previous thread on the same topic was locked after being "addressed" (however it did not address my point at all) so I'm making another.
    GrandpaNguyen replyed by saying that:
    "The point of the new treatment of VPNs isn't confusing at all. The point of it is so that we the CM team can see who you really are on those IPs. This helps with making sure those who are blacklisted are not blacklisted evading. The process is very quick and simple. All you have to do is turn off your VPN for a minute and appeal the blacklist. Once you appeal we can see your actual IP and if there are no outstanding blacklist you will be free to play Clans using the VPN. This is to ensure that those using VPNs for the sole purpose of protecting their IP can still use the VPN meanwhile making sure those who are using the VPNs for malicious intent such as blacklist evading are caught. If you are a legitimate player, this will be an easy process. However, if you are caught blacklist evading, your VPN IP blacklist will be converted to the blacklist found."

However this makes no sense. As of now, the mineplex network as a whole blocks VPNs, in order to limit people from hacking on them. However some VPNs from better VPN providers get past this blocker. But it turns out, that the clans team has a way of finding out if you're using those VPNs, and will blacklist you for doing so. While this would help cut down on people blacklist evading, it's completely unnecessary. Using whatever method the clans team has to find people on VPNs that bypass the blocker, the whole of mineplex could just block all VPNs from connecting. It won't be nessacary for players to appeal on their real IP as they won't be able to connect on anything but their real IP. If the reason they aren't doing this is because "some people use VPNs to protect their IP", then why are some VPNs blocked an others aren't? This new process makes no sense with the current block on VPNs, and could just lead to innocent VPN users getting hurt. If you normally use a VPN that bypasses the blocker to play clans, with this current method you'd be blacklisted for it, and your energy could run out. If we just implement the VPN finder thingy into the VPN blocker you'd just find that your VPN couldn't connect.
    Please don't lock this thread again cos I'd prefer not to make a part three.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
    xOeuf, Karrrrl124 and Xion like this.
  1. Some VPNs are blocked while some VPNs aren't because Mineplex wants to let the people that use them for real use them for real. You'll find that most if not all free VPNs are blocked, while there are many paid VPNs that are not. I would not call this unnecessary. It is a good way to let the real VPN users be real VPN users while the many blacklist evaders out there get taken care of. Clans isn't the only game on Mineplex, so I disagree with blocking every single one for the rest of the network.

Perhaps something better would be blocking players from joining the CLANS lobby if they're using a VPN unless they are approved to do so. This way would be like the current way, except they do not get a punishment, and therefore they do not lose anything as they can't start playing while on a VPN.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  2. All VPNs should be blocked on Mineplex. However, it has been discovered and most likely known for some time now that the Anti-VPN filter on Mineplex can be easily bypassed. Since I do have some relation specifically in this matter, I can tell you right now that you were on a NordVPN server that bypassed the Anti-VPN feature. One of the developers even said it, and while I can't find the thread, I know it was said that all VPNs will eventually be blocked on Mineplex, which is the goal.

The way the Staff have responded to these VPN users was unpredictable, but I do see the reasoning. Grandpa is correct about the fact that they have malicious use and good use,but as far as I have seen, the usage has never been good.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  3. I agree with you however, we must realize that there is probably an underlying reason that Grandpa has done it this way that he just isn't saying.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  4. If you haven't noticed by now those appeals for VPN blacklists are handled by me. And I get back to you fairly quickly so you don't lose your stuff to energy loss.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  5. I usually message you back within a day. And even then I can freeze all assets

Posted Jan 4, 2020,
    Last edited Jan 4, 2020
    xOeuf, Fallen™ and Karrrrl124 like this.
  6. It makes no sense to let some VPNs be used as they might be for the "right reasons" while blocking others. If staff aren't wanting to stop people from using VPNs for the right reasons then make a separate thing so that your account can get a waive from the VPN rule.
    It doesn't really matter if you "get back quickly" there should be no reason at all for needlessly blacklisting people. This new rule is 100% needless. Lets say I'm a normal player playing on a VPN that bypasses the blocker. Currently I'll be blacklisted and have to appeal that, all so that you can get my actual IP in order to make sure I'm not blacklist evading. This makes it so that I can't play, could miss out on events and stuff, and wastes your time. If you just block all VPNs (makes no sense to only block some) I would try to log on with my VPN and realize that I can't. Now all I have to do is switch back to my normal IP. No one has to appeal, no one gets blacklisted, and staff still have my normal IP.
    If you're saying this won't work because you can't catch all VPNs, then how are you expecting to blacklist all players who use them if you can't detect them. It makes no sense to have two separate VPN defense systems.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 4, 2020
  7. What if I get blacklisted while pvping and loose leggies?
    What if I get blacklisted while under a raid and get raided?
    What if I get blacklisted with an hour of energy left and you can't freeze my assets in time?

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 4, 2020
  8. I freeze you before you get blacklisted. No combat logger. So you won't lose it.

By your logic you shouldn't be on a VPN then. It'd be the same as saying we ban all hacks but this hack bypasses gwen and therefore we shouldn't punish for it. Are you saying I should change this new treatment so that I should punish more harshly?

I can buy energy for any clan. So it's just something I need to check when making these blacklists. So yeah i can freeze it in time.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
    xOeuf and Xion like this.
  9. I think you’re off topic

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  10. So if VPNs are not allowed and the blocker doesn't catch all VPNs I should therefore punish all those using a VPN in which case all of the gear and items you gathered while on the VPN was obtained illegitimately since you were breaking a rule. See that sounds cruel to me which is why I have you appeal it and show your actual IP instead.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  11. A small price to pay for salvation.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
    Fallen™ likes this.
  12. I mean that all doesn't really matter if there's no reason to blacklist people.
    What I'm saying is instead of blacklisting people for using VPNs just incorporate whatever method you're using to find people using VPNs into the VPN blocker mineplex already has. This would force players to use their normal IP, which is the whole point of this new system.
    I mean or we can just block everyone from using any VPN :/

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jan 4, 2020
  13. The whole point of the system is to reveal the main IP, not force them to use the main IP. And from what it seems like, they may have external methods to detect VPN IPs that they can’t necessarily automate at the moment, which is just my guess. His analogy of banning hackers for Kill Aura even though GWEN does that already makes more sense if you think of the VPN block system as an anti-cheat that needs to be kept updated.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  14. Well until we get it onto the VPN blocker. This is a way for us to get the more minor VPN issues. Having two systems isn't a bad thing.

Like xion said it's not forcing you to use your actual IP. It's getting you to reveal your IP. After that you're free to go.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
    xOeuf, Xion and Karrrrl124 like this.
  15. i want my clan to get freezed

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  16. Linuston your clan doesn't qualify for this reasoning

Posted Jan 4, 2020
    xOeuf likes this.
  17. why

Posted Jan 4, 2020
  18. I cannot disclose your information on a public post.

Posted Jan 4, 2020
    xOeuf likes this.
  19. ok sir can you msg me it on a private msg

Posted Jan 4, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.