• 1855 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 10293 Players Online
  • 8438 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

We really should give the top players nickname

Discussion in 'Skywars' started by KindaCruise, Aug 23, 2019.

1. I've realized how bad being on that leaderboard is sometimes, I end up in games with players I know are better than me. As a result, I tend to target them in hopes I can kill them before they get gear. I know this sounds like a personal issue, but any logical person would know that killing someone good would result in higher chance of winning. Honestly, we should let them nick. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Posted Aug 23, 2019
    Yato and rexh17 like this.
  2. Doesn't really make sense, the problem is many people can be targeted for different reason, and skilled people can be found by just /stats-ing them.

Posted Aug 23, 2019
    IceClouds likes this.
  3. I don't /stats often, but I do check leaderboards.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Aug 23, 2019
    rexh17 likes this.
  4. Honestly I believe this is a great idea and I don’t know why mineplex doesn’t already have it. Also, their is this rule that people can’t target youtubers/streamers but since most of us aren’t youtubers and/or streamers I think this works perfectly.
    +1

Posted Aug 23, 2019
  5. If you know someone is capable of beating you it is in your best interest to Target them early. The rule should extend to all players tbh

OP OP
    LordOfTeeth and rexh17 like this.
  6. Exactly, and in my opinion it should but I think the reason they don’t extend it to everyone is because it’s easier to tell if a youtuber/streamer is being targeted from video evidence than it is to tell a normal player is being targeted from video evidence, but yeah I believe that we should be able to nick, and /or the anti-targeting rule applies to everyone

Posted Aug 23, 2019
  7. Hi there!

Youtubers/ twitch (content creators) do have access to disguise and change nicknames in order to avoid targets. However, the leaderboard is there to showcase the top players, rather than hide them. Making it onto the leaderboard is a big achievement, I don't see why people would want to shy away!

Personally, I don't think leaderboard players should have access to disguise, as it's not necessarily an urgent feature. Content creators will be targeted, and as a result need the disguise feature. Overall, it's a -1 from me!

4G0

Posted Aug 23, 2019
  8. Counter-idea: an option to disable others viewing you on the leaderboard temporarily. E.g. if you're in second it will show 2) <hidden> instead of your IGN. There are people who don't want to be shown there for other reasons and the concept of nicknames on Mineplex is something production doesn't seem to be particularly fond of.

Posted Aug 23, 2019
    KindaCruise, xEspe0n and Yato like this.
  9. Herro!

I don't believe giving players nick is a good idea. It could be abused, and is meant to be a special perk for our content creators. I like the idea @Thenorn suggested above of making leaderboards anonymous if you choose, although that kinda defeats the purpose of a leaderboard. I think we should instead add a ranked skywars for the leaderboard that hides usernames of all players. This idea should be extended to other games like bridges, survival games, and cake wars to be consistent. I would also like to mention that staff get targeted in all games, and we don't get a nickname function. Targeting will happen to everyone at some point, you just need to be able to deal with it.

Due to the reasons stated above, -1 from me.

Posted Aug 23, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 23, 2019
  10. I like @Thenorn idea about being able to hide on the leaderboard would make more sense. So if you decide to show yourself on the leaderboard you deal with the targeting.
    Also, I'd recommend moving this to server discussion because this could apply to all the leaderboards.

+0

Posted Aug 23, 2019,
    Last edited Aug 23, 2019
  11. I can see where you are coming from, but I agree that this is something that could easily be abused. This is supposed to be exclusive to our content creators because they are usually targeted, though we also have a rule to protect them from this if it occurs. We have a team that also monitors our content creators, so it's easier for us to ensure that the command isn't abused. However, with just normal players, it would be hard to make sure players were using it appropriately. There are a lot of players on our leader boards across all of our games. It would be hard to monitor all of those people.

Additionally, this would likely have to be done through permission changes. Since our leader boards are ever changing, someone would have to keep up with the players as they come and go on the leader boards. It seems to me that it would be a hassle to manually give and take away permissions to reflect who is on the leader boards.

At the end of the day, this is only going to prevent a very small portion of targeting. It's more of a hassle than what the benefits are because it's still going to be easy to point out who are the better players once the game has started or you've played more than one game with the person.

Posted Aug 23, 2019
    4G0 likes this.
  12. From what other people said(Abusing the permission)

I'm giving this idea a -1

Posted Aug 23, 2019
  13. This is a great alternative

OP OP