• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6122 Players Online
  • 3232 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Whats up with all the mutes?

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by XMidnightKatzX, Jul 7, 2020.

?

Am I being unreasonable about how much people get muted?

1. Yes you are very unreasonable!

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. maybe, but i cant decide.

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. no not at all the post is fine!

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Thanks to the mods, my post was answered and I will be leaving it here for anyone who needs validation for the same reason. The comments where very helpful and thank you to all who have replied! -Kat

I understand that there will always be people who are rude, but even then whats with the excessive muting? Almost all my friends have been muted for utterly stupid reasons and have been told that they cant even appeal for them!

Example A: One of my friends got muted because she was calling one of her other friends, and i quote her exact words, "Stoopid". She did not even receive a warning first or anything! She was first muted for 13 hours, which in my opinion is suitable for server standards of chat, but then it was upped by a mod to a whole 7 days! For simply calling her friend "Stoopid" in a very obvious friend way! And sure I get that its a bit rude, even for buddy-buddy/friend talk, and I also get that the mods are just trying to keep chat clean which I very much appreciate, But for a whole 7 days? That seems way too much! For comparison I was muted a week and a half ago for filter bypass (which was honestly deserved, i had lost my cool) and had gotten a 7.3 day mute. I felt that it was a bit too much and i was going to first guess maybe 4-5 days tops but oh well on that one. My point here is that it seems unfair for someone like her who only had "bad chat behavior" to get a whole seven days compared to someone like me who filter bypassed! How are these ranked the same as far as how long you're muted for?

Example B: This one is to explain why appealing wouldn't help.

Problem A is: Most of my friends have tried to appealed for their mutes as they also felt it was too much, and have been told they needed an account. Why? I get that it's most likely to be for verification, but couldn't they just put their ign and report number into a slot without having an account? I feel as if this would be faster and help a lot more then having to go through the entire process of making a account.

Problem B is: Even if they where to get the account. half the time they are denied appeal! even if it was a small reason that can be resolved by just explaining the situation. At least allow something that tells friends you're muted! people use to use /bc and animal tags to tell others they where muted but those are now taken away. I have literally lost friends because they thought i was ignoring them and had no way to say i was muted, Thanks Mineplex!

And so, to put an end to this post, my base conclusion is this: Even if you do waste your time making an account and finally put your appeal in, its most likely to be denied. It would just be better to wait the mute out or just play on a different server for awhile until its over since being unable to talk makes communication between team mates and other players harder and renders playing on Mineplex a waste of time since most of their games are team games anyways!

Posted Jul 7, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 7, 2020
    Infui likes this.
  2. Heyo! I'm sorry you've seen negative experiences on our server regarding punishments, but many of the statements you made in this post are incorrect.

For your first friend, you claim they told you they were muted "for simply calling her friend "Stoopid". However, you also said "and i quote her exact words" which means you're taking her word for the punishment. I'm not going to go into the specifics about how I know this is incorrect, but I guarantee the mute was not for calling someone "stoopid" because of the whole bumping the punishment situation you explained. People often lie about their punishments to avoid embarrassment or create anger towards the staff team. The example you provided here is just false though.

In regards to the warning situation - the way that our punishment system works is that most all severity 1 chat offenses require a warning before a mute. If you repeat the same offense within 30 days (after an official warning), you do not receive another and instead receive an immediate mute.

In regards to this, no you do not need a linked account in order to appeal. Yes you need a verified account (connected to an email) to use our website, this is a pretty common practice among sites where you are submitting an application.

About the eligibility to submit an appeal - you can submit an appeal for any punishment if you feel it is incorrect and have evidence to prove it is incorrect. If the punishment is correct and justified, you can only appeal it if it has a duration of 30 days or longer. This information is found on the Appeal Guide under the FAQ "What kind of punishments can I appeal?"

We do have a feature you can turn on so that when someone attempts to contact you via /msg, it will let that player know you are muted. You can do this by typing /prefs, then "User Preferences" (the paper), then "Inform When Muted" (the barrier block). If we had any other system of letting people know a person was muted, that would be allowing them to communicate while punished, which doesn't make sense as the whole point of a mute is to limit communication.

There really isn't much to discuss about this topic with the community since staff members are the ones that understand and can explain our punishment system. If you have specific questions, I would be happy to help you out in a direct message.

Posted Jul 7, 2020,
    Last edited Jul 7, 2020
    Nite0wl, ezlee6 and xGetRekted like this.
  3. Had a similar incident back during new year. Was with a group of 3 other friends who were all in a discord call with me at the time and I jokingly /message'd one "join idiot", and they replied with something similar including "idiot", trainee was in the lobby and warned both of us. We argued that we were friends and it was a joke, only to be blatantly ignored.

Also as far as I know if you /message a friend, it'll tell them you're muted. I'm currently muted and can't use animal tags, I'm pretty sure /bc got patched back in 2016 as I got muted right after I was unmuted for using it (although I was being edgy so it was justified tbf), my only way to tell people I'm muted is to either ask a friend in a party via discord to tell the person in-game who's trying to talk to me or who joined or just to wait until they get the hint.

Posted Jul 7, 2020
    XMidnightKatzX likes this.
  4. I would agree staff be muting like crazy, I just got muted yesterday for filter bypass but it wasn’t intended as one lol. But the mod muted me 7 days, which doesn’t make sense, it wasn’t intended to be malicious but whatever :/. My last punishment was from 2016 lol been a while. I see if my appeal gets me unmuted. These staff will do anything to get their quota

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  5. The biggest issue with your argument is that you can't expect staff members to know when players are joking vs. when they are not. It's not always clear and even friends can get upset with each other at times. Sometimes it is obvious as a joke and staff members can use leniency and not punish players. However, there are a lot of times when you just can't tell one way or another and it's better to give a warning than to let players continue to argue with each other. Once a warning is applied, it's not going to be removed so just don't continue to "joke" around in that manner.

Also, you can toggle in your /prefs under User Preferences to alert players that try to /msg you that you are muted. It's in the middle of the bottom row. That should help other players know that you are muted and can't respond.

This is also another case of staff members can't know when you accidentally filter bypass vs. are intentionally bypassing the filter. It's inappropriate either way, so maybe just choose different words that are more appropriate next time. Don't rely on the filter to catch anything inappropriate when you could just change your words. I understand you may slip up from time to time, which is why the filter is there. Also, considering this punishment starts with a 1 day mute, it seems you've probably broke the rule several times before, not just once. The more you choose to break the rules, the longer your punishment is going to be. There is also not a punishment quota for staff members, so you weren't muted in an attempt for someone to reach that.

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  6. Hey!

From reading the original post and the replies to this thread, it is evident that some people do not understand why they are receiving the punishments they are getting, and why the duration is so long. I'll try to add on as much as I can to what the others have said, but bear in mind we are always abiding by the rules @ mineplex.com/rules and our own set of punishment guidelines when issuing them. Sometimes our opinions will differ when it comes to punishments but in general we work together to make sure they are justified and appropriate for the rules broken.

Example A: There is a lot of incorrect information here. Your friend would not have been muted for just saying "Stoopid" in chat without any context to suggest it was directed at someone else. Even if it was, many of us would exercise leniency and verbally warn before taking any action. To humor your argument, though, let's say we decided that it breaks the rules and is sufficient for General Rudeness (Severity 1). We are required to issue a paper warning unless your friend had a recent punishment for General Rudeness within the last 30 days, which had to be the case if they were instantly muted. I doubt you are describing this situation accurately, because it does not make sense that the punishment duration was bumped up. Given what they said, it's actually impossible this could happen, as "Stoopid" directed at someone could not be sufficient for anything more than a Severity 1 offense, for which the default duration is 12 hours. They would have had to be muted for something else if they later received a 7-day mute. Tell them to check their punishment history using /ph.

Let's take the increase of the punishment duration out of the equation for a moment. For the rest of your information to be true, a. "Stoopid" would have to have been directed, b. the Staff member would have had to decide against exercising any form of leniency, and c. your friend must have had a punishment for General Rudeness within the last 30 days. So in reality, this just couldn't happen if all your friend said was "Stoopid". And even at that, we have to treat everyone equally - if something comes across rude even when you didn't intend it to, we cannot give you special treatment. We don't have time to check with you it was a joke, that the player was your friend, and weren't offended by it. Regardless, rudeness would be considered a violation of the rules.

The last thing I would like to add is that you cannot assume that your appeals, or others' for that matter, will be denied. The Forum Ninja team (FN) handles appeals on a daily basis and they have their own set of internal appeals criteria that they use when determining whether a player is to be unpunished or not. Given there are a lot of factors that must be taken into account, which you (along with the rest of us) are unaware of, you can't really guess at the probability of your appeal being accepted or denied. If you want to wait it out or play on other servers, that's your choice, but don't think you mightn't get a second chance.

@Dulciloquy and @_H2O have covered everything else perfectly, and there isn't really anything I have to add onto that. I just wanted to clarify things for you further when it comes to your 'example scenarios' and highlight the incorrect information, as well as explain how it isn't likely in the first place. What we don't want is players making assumptions about how we issue punishments based on an implausible testimony.

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  7. nope, first punishment since 2016, no warning either :shrug: I just logged on and I was muted.

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  8. It may be your first punish since then, but it's not your second offense ever. That is literally impossible considering how the punishment system works. You can check your punishment history by doing /ph if you need to see your past punishments. Also, you were probably muted for a severity 2 filter bypass rather than a severity 1 based on the time that your mute is. Severity 2 offenses don't require a warning first, so the mute would still be correct without a warning.

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  9. Yes, it is my first offense. I've had two chat warnings which were spam back in 2015, but you're correct, it was a sev 2, but it was weird because I asked a question "Who told you to * off?" (* was the letter f) and I guess that is enough to get me muted for seven days, and I only asked it once in a com chat :shrug:

Posted Jul 7, 2020
    XMidnightKatzX likes this.
  10. This is sufficient for a Severity 2 Filter Bypass mute as you are using the letter 'f' with context to bypass a word on the filtered words listing. It doesn't matter whether you had malicious intent or not, as it was not a Severity 1 offense we cannot choose whether or not to exercise leniency. This means you would not require a warning beforehand; you would be muted instantly as with all Severity 2 and higher offenses. As someone else has already clarified for you, we do not have a quota for punishments, which you mentioned above. We are not desperately trying to reach a quota by following our own sense of justice as we are going by the rules and the punishment guidelines we have access to.

One of our recent rule changes involved bumping the default duration of a Severity 1 mute up to 12 hours on the first offense, and for a Severity 2 mute, 7 days on the first offense. Just wanted to clear that up, as if the person was muted for 7 days because of a Severity 2 offense, that would actually mean their punishment history was relatively clean (at least of Severity 2 punishments).

Posted Jul 7, 2020
    _H2O and ARareBlackBear like this.
  11. Yeah, I could see this actually, a lot of words and phrases are blurred out unnecessarily. I remember typing in chat speaking about another video game outside of Minecraft talking about different level difficulties saying, "It's hard on the highest level" and the phrase "hard on" was blurred entirely. I can understand the potential for having this blurred out and, as someone going to college to be an English Instructor, there are just too many phrases in the English language to be able to correctly adapt the program for each situation. Although, other people might not understand the difficulty in this.

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  12. I feel as though staff is just trying to prevent toxicity and it's hard for them to understand context, and for your case that does sound annoying but keep in mind they're just trying to keep it pg for younger players or for people who may get triggered by certain words. If you believe it was highly unfair, maybe try appealing just to check! :D

Posted Jul 7, 2020
  13. Thank you for the help in answering my questions! And Im sorry i was incorrect on most of my statements as i felt i was defending my friend who was in the right at the time. I still do have a few more questions but i will most likely direct message you. Thank you again!

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 7, 2020
  14. Thank you! When I had gotten muted for filter bypass at the time I did not receive a warning at all and that startled me, I hadn't been on in literal years! (almost a full 2 years) but i can see why i might have not gotten a warning if it was indeed a sev 2 mute.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Jul 7, 2020
    ARareBlackBear likes this.
  15. Interesting change. I hadn't heard anything about the punishment system changing. Good to know. I apologize for any confusion. Thanks for clarifying!

Posted Jul 7, 2020
    WowCaleb likes this.