• 2890 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 6866 Players Online
  • 3976 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

When the new combat update releases, what do you think, will Mineplex switch?

Discussion in 'Server Discussion' started by spacexplorer_, Apr 22, 2020.

?

What do you think?

1. It will

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. It won't

55 vote(s)
    88.7%
  1. I don't think Mineplex would do so unless most of its major competitors end up switching to the new combat style which I personally think is very unlikely.
    The 1.8 combat style is tried and tested and has cemented itself as the default for most servers.

Posted May 24, 2020
  2. Your stance is reasonable, but I'd like for you to keep an open mind. Actually look at the new PvP, instead of just assuming it is bad because it isn't 1.8. 1.8 has its issues two, and many don't admit that. There is no variety in playstyles, and having a faster click speed means a win ninety percent of the time. As someone who has tried, and failed, to get his click speed over 5.5, I struggle improving in 1.8. I play it all the time, with no signs of improvement. I think I physically can't get it any faster. Even with its faults, this is an issue 1.9 fixes. I'm still not that great as it, but I show clear signs of improving. I feel that the new PvP, with essentially a max attack speed for different weapons, fixes the issue, while still having fast-paced gameplay. Just give it a chance, maybe have a day when the mineplex mods all give it a try in different games. I don't know, but I think not updating creates more problems than it fixes. Even if you want the 1.8 pvp, officially making the server for modern updates can't hurt. Think of the new blocks for speed and master builders. Think of how tridents and crossbows could make the game more interesting. Consider it at least. Could be fun for everyone.

Posted May 24, 2020
  3. Hey,

I never said the combat in the newer versions of Minecraft were bad. There's a lot to that goes in behind the scenes when it comes to updating the whole network to a newer version. If we were to use the newer versions with the new combat, we will face a lot of backlash. A majority of our community still plays on 1.8 and as I mentioned it offers the perfect mechanics for our server and community. Our server and most of our games are very fast paced and things wouldn't function well which is why most servers similar to ours are still running their servers on 1.8 too. We would look silly doing this and implementing this. It wouldn't just cause an issue behind the scenes with the functionality of the server, it would also break a lot of things. You do have the option to play on any version of the Minecraft with 1.8 or higher and be able to join our server, however your experience will feel lackluster and buggy. We may support those versions but the network is based in 1.8 which means all our mechanics, plugins, features, and so on are all 1.8.

Posted May 24, 2020
    SpitefulNick likes this.
  4. Either
    1. Mineplex will slowly transition to higher versions by adding new games requiring those version (ie. skyfall)
    or
    2. Mineplex will die in 1.8
    Eventually other servers will have to update, and Mineplex will be left in the dust because they don't have the ability to change every gamemode to the highest version. I think once 1.16 comes out, Mineplex should start making version specific games and even updates. If the champions/clans community agrees, a new netherite set could be added.

Posted May 24, 2020
    Border and TheCode327 like this.
  5. I do have concerns that a movement off of 1.8 might occur, there are already issues with 1.15 compatability (Skeletons don't render properly in lobbys and some games iirc, random graphical errors), even though those aren't huge issues, it is concerning moving forward.

Anecdotally, I cannot run 1.8 without my computer hard crashing in 10 minutes or in a hour, my GPU will not run 1.8 properly so if version compatibility gets axed I literally could not play on the server.

I don't think version comparability will be an issue for a while we may see more visual bugs slowly creep up, but nothing major should occur unless mojang decides to heavily rewrite core things about the game which I don't think they will. So, it'll be a while before anything breaks really badly, or it might not break enough for anything needing to be done at all.

Posted May 24, 2020
    TheCode327 likes this.
  6. The issue is that while mineplex is spending time making future versions workable with 1.8 games, they waste dev time making new content. The server staying in 1.8 indefinitely seems like a bad idea, as eventually, future versions will add so many new features that they'll have to do a hard reboot of the server essentially.

Posted May 24, 2020
  7. I think there should be some sort of big conference between the higherups of the major Minecraft servers. They should pick a date, and update officially at that time. It will stop servers from being afraid to loose players by being the first to update, while slowly every server gets more problems. Personally, I think that if they had done that back when 1.9 came out. The majority of the dislike towards it is through unfamiliarity, and plugins could have been added to make attack speeds faster, instead of not updating. 1.9 isn't perfect, but neither is 1.8 flawless. I also think that Mojang would have made a combat update v2 sooner if this had happened. Instead of having the community split, Mojang would have seen everyone stand together, including the survival players that are their main focus.(understandably, that is the main game) What they ended up seeing is people saying "NO! BAD!" I think fixing things you don't like is better than ignoring them. So now Mojang is finialy bestowing us with a fix to all our issues, and we shouldn't let it pass. Also, there could be a compromise if y'all don't like this. What about "Modern Monday," were there is one day a week when people can try out the modern combat system in a true multiplayer setting. I checked, and I can't find ANY servers at all that use 1.9 in standard PvP games. Even if some people avoid that day, many like me would actively try to play on that day, if only for the experience you can't get anywhere else. This isn't something we can just keep putting off, so let's confront it head on, instead of hide in our ancient servers, whining that everyone else has moved on.
    Also, I will be creating a discord for people to be able to debate this issue on. It will be easier than going to a forum whenever I feel like talking about this, especially one for a server that, (no offense meant) will be a bit biased against it. -unapproved link-

Posted May 29, 2020
    Johnny Welamton and LordOfTeeth like this.
  8. Depends. If Mineplex wants to be in it for the long run, update to 1.16 with its release then make some unique things and draw players in via youtube and social media. If Mineplex stays on 1.8, it won't be any different to that other server (like now), and will die as it is now.

Posted May 29, 2020
    Johnny Welamton and TheCode327 like this.
  9. Sorry if
    I came out a bit harsh there, didn't mean to assume your opinion. My main point is that I don't feel the backlash would be as bad as many say. If minplex becomes a server that has some games that are 1.9 pvp, I feel that it has a good chance of growing from it. Everyone that wants to use the modern combat would join mineplex. I also have an Idea for a potential one-day-a-week modern pvp day. That could be a good way to see how the overall playerbase takes it instead of just the people that talk about it. And if you think that idea is bad, I respect that. There are many games in which I think 1.8 is better, though it would be fun to try those on 1.9. I also understand that the server is 1.8 based, and I see how that could be an issue for my ideas, though, as others have pointed out, servers may need to start using more modern versions as a base, as the new versions become less compatible with more ancient severs.

Posted May 29, 2020
    Johnny Welamton likes this.
  10. Sorry if
    I came out a bit harsh there, didn't mean to assume your opinion. My main point is that I don't feel the backlash would be as bad as many say. If minplex becomes a server that has some games that are 1.9 pvp, I feel that it has a good chance of growing from it. Everyone that wants to use the modern combat would join mineplex. I also have an Idea for a potential one-day-a-week modern pvp day. That could be a good way to see how the overall playerbase takes it instead of just the people that talk about it. And if you think that idea is bad, I respect that. There are many games in which I think 1.8 is better, though it would be fun to try those on 1.9. I also understand that the server is 1.8 based, and I see how that could be an issue for my ideas, though, as others have pointed out, servers may need to start using more modern versions as a base, as the new versions become less compatible with more ancient severs.

Posted May 29, 2020
  11. I've been playing Minecraft since like, the 1.3 days, so I like Mineplex exactly where it is now, at 1.8 combat. I don't think it should change unless the new combat update completely eliminates every change to combat that occured in 1.9, which I don't think it will. Also, I see no point in trying out the new update because I know I will just be disappointed.

Posted May 30, 2020
  12. I know this will not happen but this will reduce a lot of hacks as they are mainly 1.8 and 1.12

Posted May 30, 2020
  13. Hi there!

I think that it would really depend on what kind of combat it would be and how it benefits the players who are really into PvP type of games. Mineplex has a LOT of PvP games and players who are currently dependin on 1.8 spam click combat in order to combo enemies in-game. If the new update brings the combat technique back, the Mineplex team might be interested in changing it’s main combat mechanic too!

Posted May 30, 2020
  14. You should do some more research on the new PvP. Combos are still possible, (the one ting I don't like about I) and it also gets rid of devotion to click speed. Also, updating would allow new bocks for master builders, and weapons like tridents, crossbows, make axes and even hoes viable weapons, and even allow games like skyfall to be playable again. All of this, by updating the server to the combat update v2, which I believe is a combat superior to both the current pvp, and 1.8. So instead of saying it is bad because your high click speed doesn't help you win every time, realize that's a bad thing, as some people just can't seem to get their click speed above 6. So yeah, if you don't like it, fair. But don't just hate it because it isn't 1.8, nor because your friends told you its bad. I hate his divide in the Minecraft community. Make it stop Minecraft servers, please.

Posted May 30, 2020
  15. I mean currently the majority of users on Mineplex use 1.8, so I would doubt at the moment that Mineplex would change their server to the newest combat update. The leadership team would have to carefully consider if they would want to shift their player base from 1.8 to such a newer version. There are so many version bugs that consist on Mineplex currently, and such adding another version would definitely cause more bugs to happen, thereby slowing down updates. But again, considering how many of Mineplex's players come from 1.8, I doubt they would make such a change, because it would really affect the amount of players they have. When they added Skyfall in the past, it was a great idea, however it was required to use 1.9. Thus, the game eventually had a lack of support, which led to the downfall of the game. This is the same I would say with many of Mineplex's active users, and many competitive leagues on Mineplex also prefer 1.8 than newer versions. Even though the newer update is definitely different than from 1.9, I don't think players would want to shift into such a new version currently. I am not sure though, I've seen some of the combat updates, and It does seem interesting. But in communities like the Mineplex dominate community for champions, I am sure the community would prefer to stay in 1.8, even though it would go back into the meta of click speed and ping.

Posted May 30, 2020
  16. I think the better question is Should Mineplex switch rather than will it.

And considering that Minecraft will never revert to 1.8 combat, I believe the wise decision would be to switch. You will eventually run out of ways to update your server if you don't.

Posted May 30, 2020
  17. 1.9+ PvP mechanics, including the experimental ones being tested, just don't work for fast-paced combat games like Mineplex has. 1.8.9 combat and below does. 1.9+ is great for survival scenarios, slower-paced games, and games that don't put a focus on combat, but once you start fighting another person with the recharge on your sword, or axe, or trident, or whatever you want to use, PvP just becomes lethargic, like an artificially slowed down version of what PvP once was. There's a reason servers won't switch, and that's because the model they built their games on is 99% partial to quicker, non-recharging combat.

1.8.9 PvP and below isn't perfect- far from it- but recharges have a negative effect for minigame PvP, and that's the bread and butter of Mineplex. By far the easiest solution that Mojang could do is add a game rule to enable and disable 1.9+ PvP, with it being enabled by default. That pleases everyone. You can have a server that supports only the latest versions but still has the PvP people like, and if you ever wanted to make a different kind of game, one that works well with two hands, shields, recharging weapons, and so on, then you can do that too. Of course Mojang denied that, though, because they don't really care about the multiplayer community.

Posted May 30, 2020
    Johnny Welamton and SpitefulNick like this.
  18. have you tried the new pvp? it definitely feels fast paced to me, but not too fast paced, like 1.8. I dont want it to take forever, but I still want to get invested in the fight, instead of just getting combo'd and deign instantly

Posted May 30, 2020
  19. I've tried, I simply don't enjoy it. it's slower and in a lot of situations I find it to be a contest of gear, rather than skill. It's pretty easy to figure out the cooldowns and once you do it seems like there isn't much more to pvp, where as in 1.8 things such as strafing, combos, rods, ect. all made pvp more engaging. Shield and hit just isn't fun. Also wtf is up with bows in newer versions?? Arrows inconsistent af and you can't jump shot without the arrow hitting your toes.

That said, I do think servers are going to need to update eventually. There is tons of potential with 1.9+ content and as older players leave the 1.8 playerbase is going to keep shrinking. Ideally, Mojang would have reverted to 1.8 mechanics after the initial backlash so we could get the cool features and the better combat, but it took like 5 years for them to admit they screwed up and now they are changing it to a system that is not going to be much better (don't touch reach on tools ffs).

Posted May 30, 2020,
    Last edited May 31, 2020
    FluteVegetables likes this.
  20. I have tried the "new" PvP, yes. I don't think it's fast paced by any stretch of the imagination. Even if it were, would you honestly say its pace is quick enough to make sense in games like Bridges, Sky Wars, Champions DOM/CTF, or Survival Games?

I get not wanting to be combo'd into oblivion because someone is throwing a projectile mid-fight, but I don't know if there's a middle ground to be had here that gets rid of the flaws in 1.8.9-and-below PvP but improves on 1.9+ PvP.

Posted May 30, 2020