• 893 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 4851 Players Online
  • 3958 Players on Bedrock
  • pe.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

Why I quit champions (and no longer find it fun)

Discussion in 'Champions' started by EpicEnderDragon1, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Sup y'all.
    Champions is a really cool and unique gamemode that immediately piqued my interest upon joining the server. It was a game that required a lot of strategy and had deep kit customization. Mage was one of the kits that I found to be the most fun, due to it's immense range of unique abilities. During my first few months playing champions, I found it very fun and would play it fairly often, using a rupture-based mage kit. But as time went on, and Mineplex started losing it's players, Champions really did become a shell of it's former self, at least to me. The main reason I felt this happened wasn't necessarily because of bad/lack of updates, or bad gameplay, but more so the changed playerbase.
    Lemme explain: As Mineplex started to die off, all of it's newer players left for different servers and players who joined today would usually leave after a few games to go play on a different, much larger server. The people that stayed on Mineplex, however, were mainly veterans who had been playing for years and did not plan on quitting anytime soon (think level 80+ ppl). Now, as you can see, almost all of Mineplex's minigames are filled with sweats and tryhards, since there are barely any new players to that join.
    Which game do you think got impacted the hardest by this? Champions. I'm not kidding, if there even is a game of champions going on (usually DOM), expect a party of 5 players (usually lvl 80+ sweats) win-farming the lobby. It's literally impossible to have fun playing champions if you aren't playing with a sweaty party. And btw, this doesn't just affect champions. If you look at games like Minestrike or Super paintball, there's usually always a party of players win-farming the lobby. Obviously there isn't anything we can really do about this, as they are doing the most optimal strategy to win-farm. But at the same time, don't expect new players to come back to the game after they get absolutely obliterated by a party of lvl 80+ ppl while they don't even know wtf is going on. I myself also tryhard/sweat a lot, as I'm sure everyone does, but when you are literally partying up with other sweats to just win-farm lobbies and take away the enjoyment of the game, don't expect that game to survive. A bit off-topic, but you can probably make the connection to HOG on how it died. HOG was a game that was filled with 4-player parties of people win/exp-farming. That game died off super quickly due to how many people just win-farmed in parties, making it impossible for new players to actually enjoy the game. (also, I'm aware of the many other reasons of why the game died, like bad balancing issues and bugs, but win-farming parties were a huge reason the game died too).
    Back to champions: I quit the game back in late 2018 due to how it was almost impossible to play a game of champions without there being a party of sweats win-farming the lobby. What can we do about it? Nothing really, there isn't much of a way to stop people from partying up and win-farming, as it is the most optimal strategy to win. All we can really do is watch the game die, as if it already hasn't tho ngl (I rarely see it above 10 players).

TL:DR : As mineplex died, majority of it's playerbase left, leaving only the sweats/tryhards to reign free on Mineplex's games. This heavily affected champions, due to the fact that a party of 5 could easily win-farm lobbies and make the game unenjoyable for others. It's also why I quit.
    there may be spelling/grammar errors, as I didn't proof read this post

Posted Nov 29, 2020
    Dellas, Starx280, pooleggs and 10 others like this.
  2. amen

Posted Nov 29, 2020
    fgx, Starx280, Aaronn03 and 4 others like this.
  3. Indeed!

Posted Nov 29, 2020
    fgx, Starx280, DCDB and 2 others like this.
  4. Indubitably

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Nov 29, 2020
    Starx280 and DCDB like this.
  5. There's a similar post I wrote the other day on a general server feedback thread. Here is the part of it that refers to this topic:

(from https://www.mineplex.com/threads/ja...-to-see-mineplex-go.167607/page-3#post-588262)

The only good solution there is would be to fill the games with more new players again, which is of course easier said than done. Usually, a good way to popularize a game is to increase its rewards, however, it seems that this would just attract more skilled players who would continue disrupting the balance in the game. With that said, Champions might require a drastic change which all experienced players will be unhappy with, and that is to randomize teams or make them equally strong based on individual player statistics. In a scenario like this, even if most of the lobby is skilled, a new player will have a considerable chance of winning the game, which is always a motivating factor to playing a game again and more frequently.

Posted Nov 29, 2020
  6. I definitely agree since this post pretty much summarizes why I quit a while ago. Champions was the first game I ever played on the server, and it saddens me to the core to see it so dead only consisting of sweat party rings who farm wins. At this point, the leaderboards don't even mean anything because everyone is so freaking boosted in that game. In order for it to make a comeback, we need to attract the game to newer audiences for sure

Posted Nov 29, 2020
  7. I resonate with this post. I never played Champions but I experienced this with other games. It's unfortunate, because Mineplex has put in a lot of effort to bring in more players again and it's simply not working as I wish it did. I have faith though, and I wish all the best to this server. I love it so much, no other server has come close, in my opinion, in terms of community and gameplay. I always saw Mineplex as a place where you could play with literally anyone, nobody really grinded the server games too much. It was a really calm and chill place in contrast to many other servers.

I see this in Skywars a lot. All the same people, those that are really, really good. It takes away from the fun sometimes although I don't really play to win anymore so I don't mind it. However, it did make me move away from Skywars a bit (although it wasn't the only reason. The Skywars update was the main one), however, it made me find Master Builders which I played before but didn't really like it until now.

I've been enjoying Bedrock Mineplex recently because the state of that server is very similar to Java Mineplex all these years ago. I'm still loving Java, of course, it's my main platform, but it's really easy to relax in Mineplex PE :)

Posted Nov 29, 2020
    fgx, Starx280, DCDB and 4 others like this.
  8. o7

Posted Nov 29, 2020
    yvuggu, Starx280, DCDB and 2 others like this.
  9. It's weird how none of the sweats have seen this and replied with : "if you had any friends you would play in a party as well" , "just get better at the game" , "stop crying" , "we are just playing the game" , or some other excuse for them ruining the game.

Posted Nov 29, 2020
    Starx280, DCDB, Paladise and 2 others like this.
  10. I was thinking the same exact thing. Give it some time, they will come make excuses

Posted Nov 29, 2020
    Starx280, DCDB, Paladise and 2 others like this.
  11. I’ve noticed this heavily in Champion lobbies, it’s just constant assassins and brutes flesh hooking their lives out. It’s quite tedious to solo queue as of now, since it’s guaranteed you are going to get spawn killed by a bunch of players with 1k+ wins. It’s honestly quite sad now how unbalanced these games are, but obviously they are doing it for a valid reason. (win farm, exp boost)

Posted Nov 29, 2020
  12. It is true

Posted Nov 29, 2020
    DCDB and Paladise like this.
  13. Fax

Posted Nov 29, 2020
    Starx280, DCDB and Paladise like this.
  14. I quit champions after Mineplex refused to nerf Assassin lol

Posted Nov 29, 2020
  15. Honestly, the entire DOM community is veterans for a reason. If you jump into champions w/o any knowledge of the way the game functions such as how kits are set up, or simply due to an inability to pvp, you're going to suffer. From playing mainly champions on the weekends, you often realize that parties are the only reason lobbies open up. It doesn't make sense to say that parties take the enjoyment out've the game when w/o a party there wouldn't be a lobby at all. I personally play in parties because it's extremely frustrating trying to play a game with teammates who don't know the difference between their right and left clicks.

Additionally, game sense goes a long way when it comes to fighting parties. For instance, if you notice an entire team is running tank, you can go knight with hold position and lure them into a confined space and have the ability to kill off 3 at once. Or, you could go ranger and literally spam them with arrows, since every map has to have an area suited for rangers. In doing so, you'll remove yourself from any danger from the tanks since tanks cannot scale up to most of the perches for obvious reasons. You're not going to win any fights if the only thing you're capable of playing is rupture 6 mage.

Posted Nov 29, 2020
    DCDB likes this.
  16. One of the main reasons why lobbies are dead is due to parties making it almost impossible to win. Thus, even though parties are one of the main ways to get a lobby started, they also have resulted in a reduction in the amount of players queuing. If parties were nonexistent I am sure there would be the same, if not more players queuing, as people would find it more enjoyable.

How do you think the players on the other team feel then?

Before the game starts most of the semi-capable players on your team will leave, as they don't want to face a full 5 player party, meaning you are usually only left with randoms and with a player disadvantage. Therefore, even if you use any of these tactics you will still lose the game. If you go ranger you will be swarmed by sins. If you use hold position they can just switch to either ranger or a more specific counter set up, and you will still most likely lose the 5v1.

Posted Nov 29, 2020,
    Last edited Dec 8, 2020
  17. There isn't a good solution to this problem that isn't the vague and monumental task of "make the game popular enough for this to not matter" unfortunately. The GI team is looking at a number of options to make the game more beginner-friendly and such so that newer players at least understand what's going on, but unfortunately the combination of a game with an unusually high skill floor and a relatively small playerbase that mostly consists of skilled and veteran players is an extraordinarily unwelcoming environment. We're always open to ideas and suggestions.

Posted Nov 30, 2020
    Starx280, pwess, aiirr and 3 others like this.
  18. Yo man welcome to the “I-left-champions” club! Enjoy your stay!

Posted Nov 30, 2020
    Starx280, DCDB, Aaronn03 and 2 others like this.
  19. Oh and btw parties isn’t the reason why games die... EVERY gamemode that is a team vs team gamemode has parties, as u also said a reason why the gamemode is still alive. However, the actual reason why the game is dying is because it gets 0% attention from the staff team. (Right Now only a bit from me, collins and some GI people that make maps for it.)

If the game gets a Nice balance patch and get the new maps online it Will probably more enjoyable and more fair (even when parties are farming). Because the game is then way more balanced and then u can most likely win when u are good at the game and of course knowing how to outplay someone. (That is how I mostly win these days).

Posted Nov 30, 2020
    aiirr, DCDB, Aaronn03 and 1 other person like this.
  20. I used to play Champions a ton back in the day and it was AWESOME, then Super Smash Mobs got my attention and so I would play Champions occasionally, now a days I never play Champions anymore cause ya know the /party command exists.

Posted Nov 30, 2020