• 502 Players on Java
  • us.mineplex.com
  • 2562 Players Online
  • 2060 Players on Bedrock
  • eu.mineplex.com
!
Attention Internet Explorer Users
To have the best user experience on our site please consider upgrading to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

You can't be a Master Builder with just 5 minutes...

Discussion in 'Master Builders' started by RainbOasis, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Hi All,

Honestly, adding just a measly 2 extra minutes could make a BIG difference. This and Speed Builders is my favourite gamemode in Mineplex so far, I enjoy creative modes over attempted TDM modes in all the servers I go on. But I can assure you, I'm a really fast builder, as soon as the game starts I'm going at it as fast as I can, and half the time my stuff only 'just' gets finished, unfortunately if I want to ensure that it does, I can't waste time on detail by choosing certain blocks in my inventory. The result is a colourless blob, or an unfinished pixel art.

Suggestions
    . 8 or more minutes instead of 5 would make the game feel less like speed builders.
    . Maybe log someone who just spams bad votes and disable their voting ability or give the person their voting for a mid-range vote to account for the spammed bad vote.
    . Less seasonal builds and more generic choices (having to constantly build a candycane does get old) how about a 'house' or 'loungeroom', maybe even 'pixel art' or 'laptop' these in addition to the time increase could really make things more interesting. I personally find it insulting for a gamemode to ask me to build something so menial and beginner-like.

Posted Dec 30, 2018
  2. Heya!

I can definitely agree with some of your suggestions, but not all. Here are my opinions for this thread:

- Adding more minutes for BLD so it doesn’t feel like SB
    I definitely agree with you on this one! In most cases, I find it very difficult to make something for only 5 minutes. I usually need more time so I could make something that I actually wanted to make in the first place.
    +1 for this suggestion!

- Disabling voting ability for someone who’s spamming bad votes

Seems interesting, but unfortunately I don’t think it’s a great idea. In some rounds there’d be a lot of people who would just make awful buildings / buildings that were off topic, so I’d be forced to give them bad votes. If this idea was implemented, at one point players would lose a voting ability where game would lose a point, which is giving your opinion about a building from other players.
    Sadly, -1 for this suggestion.

- More general themes than seasonal

I agree with this one as well, there should be more general choices than seasonal. I personally don’t like making same or similar themes over and over again, and adding more of them would be way better! Of course, I don’t think seasonal themes should be entirely removed, but adding more of them or adding more general topics would be great!
    +1 for this suggestion!

That’s about it! I hope my opinions helped you in some way.

Teodora / Tea

Posted Dec 30, 2018
    RainbOasis likes this.
  3. I've also felt this way. I've been trying to get more into Master Builders, but with 5 minutes there's not a lot you can do. Yesterday I got a theme I love, 'disco', but with only 5 minutes my plans for a disco club turned into a weird looking brick hut. Adding even just a few more minutes leaves so much more room for creativity and design.

I actually think solving this problem would solve the second concern you brought up, about people spamming bad votes. Yes, there are some people who do it for the sake of doing it, but at the same time some rounds just don't have a lot of outstanding builds. This is because players, especially those who are new, don't have enough time to create nicer builds. By adding in more time (I think 8-10 minutes to build is a good range) we would help this issue.

More themes would also add to this game. Personally, I'm a fan of the broad themes, because the builds are more unique which makes gameplay, and voting, more enjoyable. It's hard to vote when a lot of builds look the same.

Posted Dec 30, 2018
    RainbOasis likes this.
  4. Heyo,
    So I will say this, I agree with you on how the Mineplex team should switch up the speed building themes and how they shouldn't be using the seasonal builds etc. Although five minutes to build does seem harsh and how most people just spam the worse judgment choice on everyone else's build; I suggest we keep it that way rather than another way that I can think of, because letting IG people vote is more efficient with a downside of how they most likely don't vote fairly. On your position of adding more minutes, I don't necessarily agree, besides the fact that only having five minutes to design and build does seem difficult, it does have a couple upsides with a higher percentage of faster and efficient match-up games and besides, its also called master builders. :)

Posted Dec 30, 2018,
    Last edited Dec 30, 2018
  5. We have to think about the appeal of the game as a whole. Building something for 5 minutes is doable for someone like me that doesn't know what they're doing and is incapable of creating pretty things. For other players that like BLD, they may be in the same mindset. Extending the game might be a disadvantage because it discourages newer players from trying the game, as it may seem daunting or just not something they want to spend 8 minutes trying to figure out.

It also becomes exponentially more discouraging the longer the game continues, in my opinion. Example: I spend 8 lovely minutes trying my best to build an instrument, but in the end, I'm not even on the scoreboard. It seems more like I may have "wasted" more of my time just to lose. With 5 minutes (or just shorter times in general), I would be more apt to try again with another 5 minutes. Playing two games for about 10-12 minutes seems more achievable than playing two games for 16-20 minutes.

I like the idea, and it seems like it might be advantageous, but I wanted to provide another view on the proposition.

Posted Dec 30, 2018
  6. You bring up a valid point, so how about a Master Builders mode, AND a Junior Builders. MB for 8+ minutes and harder builds, and JB as 5 mins with the usual list of things to build. I do notice that even with something as simple as a 'king' the result is sometimes what looks to be a colourful square, or a bunch of randomly placed blocks because someone is probably glitching, I don't blame newer players for not having years of experience, in saying that, variety and ensuring everybody is happy should be a key factor in the rundown process.

Heck, taking this into consideration, we can essentially cut 'all' the modes available into expert & novice modes and in the lobby, you can click on it via. 2 'pets' standing next to the big steves.

Thank you all for your input! :) I'd love to hear more on the subject.

OP OP
    OP OP Posted Dec 30, 2018